Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
PXL-20221115-010759690.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: B&M - Figarose sample - thanks @MadFlava81 (y)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm , homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

I could never get more than 2. I never did see what all the fuss was about with those blades. Better than Merkur, but not by much.

Great blade in some razors, but not with longevity.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Paladin McInroy Legacy Series shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Haverford shaving soap
Razor: Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky'
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Haverford splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Haverford EDT

I get about 3 1/2 shaves from a Feather blade ...
3 tops for me as super harsh the first shave and peach shave 3 then dull up to 5 so better off using a Bic or Kai as they seemed to stay sharper longer but way too expensive unless you're @Kaeckerut who I recall bought 1,000...?!?!

Pre-shave: Proraso eucalyptus and menthol Crema Pre Barba
Brush: Proraso Boar
Soap: A&E Asian Pear
Razor: Yintal
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow (1)
Post-shave: Alum block, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Adidas Team Force

I was recently going through the catalogue of Errol's Weekly Razor Review's and the Yintal piqued my interest. A safety razor costing less than $25 delivering better shaves than razors costing many times more. I ordered the matte silver version for less than $22 delivered. It doesn't seem to have the clear lacquer coating of the bronze version. Other than that, the build quality is very good - there are clearly visible machine marks on the top cap under the plating but nothing that I'm worried about and the handle is a bit too long and heavy, but very usable.

The shave was excellent. I always perform three passes, this time the third pass was redundant, and I could almost have got away with a single pass. Fantastic value.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Paladin McInroy Legacy Series shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Haverford shaving soap
Razor: Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky'
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Haverford splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Haverford EDT

New blade, all is well!

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Naked & Smooth
Razor/Blade:- Karve SS. 'SB-C' / Wizamet SI #9
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm DScosmetic G7
Soap: Mystic Water - Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm , homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

3 tops for me as super harsh the first shave and peach shave 3 then dull up to 5 so better off using a Bic or Kai as they seemed to stay sharper longer but way too expensive unless you're @Kaeckerut who I recall bought 1,000...?!?!

I've found exactly the same thing for me as well. 1st shave is rough as guts, 2nd and 3rd fantastic, then it's thrown away.

SOTD – WED 16 NOV 2022

AussieWetShave

SOTD-20221116-setup.png

Shave Report: For my lather build I sliced 1.6gm portion of soap off the edge of the hard Stuga soap, pressed it into my lathering bowl. I rate the creamy medium dense lather a solid Tier 2 performer, primary slickness is excellent, just needs a bit more residual slickness. The lather has the expected woody floral aroma with a coconut background (probably from the base) to my nose, 7/10 scent strength. The Merkur 34c and Blue Sword shaved well together, lovely clean DFS.

THE GEAR:

+ Pre Shave: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave cream
+ Brush: Billy Goat “Monolith” with 26/56 Yaqi Snow Leopard [A]
+ Soap: Stuga Australia - Cedarwood & Lavender (double scent) [A]
+ Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
+ Razor: Merkur 34c (my startup razor from early 2014)
+ Blade: Blue Sword by Lord (2)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol & Tea-tree oil
+ Balm: Natio Calming After Shave [A]
+ After Shave: Clubman Pinaud AS
+ Moisturiser: Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser for Men [A]
[A] = Australian Made

JAWS
BIC
DS Cosmetics 24mm 'Soft'
MdC Rose
Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
WK Rose Concerto Splash

been a while since the JAWS made an appearance, always nice to go back to a razor and see if anything has changed.. mostly quite a smooth shave, but lapses in concentration resulted in a bite here and there, nevertheless a very close shave with the BIC, no issues.. great razor

52503782213_6ef03f2281_h.jpg

Last edited:
Showing solidarity with the Mo Bro's this month and growing the Goatee. Might convert it into a Mo at a later date
Get to practice straight shaving in the evening ++

h0cqWwK.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Soap/Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil - Green Man Fougere
Brush:- Maseto - Buffalo Horn 2-Band Finest 20mm Badger
Razor:- @Blackie's F.R.Wellmann Gold Medal No.3 - Altona Hamburg

Status
Not open for further replies.