Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
nXcMTh7.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 27mm Ω boar
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Figarose - Thanks @MadFlava81 (y)
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Thayer's witch hazel w/- cucumber , homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

I think this might be just about the nicest B&M soap scent I've ever tried. (y) (y)

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Mountain Man
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird SB SS Polished / Astra SP #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Blackland Sabre
Gem PTFE
Ever-Ready 100
Saponifico Varesino Manna Di Sicilia
Squadron Ace

I waited a long time to buy the Sabre and maybe after all that waiting I expected too much. It's a good enough razor but it doesn't beat a 1912, Micromatic or Streamline to mention just a few excellent Gem razors. It is neither smooth enough or efficient enough to beat them. To be honest I prefer the ATT G1 I have, it is smoother, better looking and better finished, though still too mild.
Well there I've said it, horses for courses I guess. Maybe I'll keep it and grow to love it, maybe I'll move it on.

Blackland Sabre
Gem PTFE
Ever-Ready 100
Squadron Ace

I waited a long time to buy the Sabre and maybe after all that waiting I expected too much. It's a good enough razor but it doesn't beat a 1912, Micromatic or Streamline to mention just a few excellent Gem razors. It is neither smooth enough or efficient enough to beat them. To be honest I prefer the ATT G1 I have, it is smoother, better looking and better finished, though still too mild.
Well there I've said it, horses for courses I guess. Maybe I'll keep it and grow to love it, maybe I'll move it on.
You better get your ass onto the Blackland Blackbird, because, this razor gives me a bloody deadly curse and I can’t stop grabbing the Blackbird, I fully blame two evil curse bastard @Errol and @StratMan for this serious deadly enabler.

I don’t want to grab the bloody Vector, the Blackbird has already been sucking the blood out of me like a vampire.

You better get your ass onto the Blackland Blackbird, because, this razor gives me a bloody deadly curse and I can’t stop grabbing the Blackbird, I fully blame two evil curse bastard @Errol and @StratMan for this serious deadly enabler.

I don’t want to grab the bloody Vector, the Blackbird has already been sucking the blood out of me like a vampire.
Well maybe they have perfected the DE razor, not so much with the Gem.

Blackland Sabre
Gem PTFE
Ever-Ready 100
Squadron Ace

I'd suggest giving it some time and maybe work on your angle a little. My first shaves with the Sabre were OK but not ideal, but after having spent a bit of time with it I've found it delivers a beautiful shave with none of the bloodletting the old GEMS were famous for. Interestingly, the result doesn't necessarily feel like BBS while it's in process, but it does when I'm all rinsed and dried. I still think of the Vector as my grail razor, but I reach for the Sabre at least as much now.

Maybe the moral of the story is to forget about comparisons with the old-timers and take the Sabre on its own merits... :unsure:

679M6GU.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Special Edition 2013 Olive Wood Silvertip Badger
Soap: Abbate Y La Mantia Garibaldi
Razor: Wolfman WR1 Head / WR2 Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (4)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Vitos Tobacco Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac EdP

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Paladin McInroy Legacy Series shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Haverford shaving soap
Razor: Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky'
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Haverford splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Haverford EDT

Got back from meetings in Sydney on Thursday to be told Friday afternoon that a colleague in the meetings has tested positive :(

My wife is having some surgery next week so I'm isolating in our guest bedroom and bathroom, so no picture, but with a shave like this it is hardly doing it tough!

I'd suggest giving it some time and maybe work on your angle a little. My first shaves with the Sabre were OK but not ideal, but after having spent a bit of time with it I've found it delivers a beautiful shave with none of the bloodletting the old GEMS were famous for. Interestingly, the result doesn't necessarily feel like BBS while it's in process, but it does when I'm all rinsed and dried. I still think of the Vector as my grail razor, but I reach for the Sabre at least as much now.

Maybe the moral of the story is to forget about comparisons with the old-timers and take the Sabre on its own merits... :unsure:
Yeah I'll put the Sabre away for a bit and give it another chance in the future.
I didn't rally want to diss one of your favourite razors, it's not bad, just not for me.
Interestingly I think we come at this from different directions. You see vintage Gems as old blood letters and the Sabre as a better design. I Love the old Gems and think if they have a reputation for blood-letting it is not deserved, just a few people trying to use a micromatic with a fresh blade like a DE and writing them all off.
The problem seems to be that using a Gem blade clamped in a traditional three piece design does not allow the stiffer, thicker blade to be used at the proper angle and the angle is closer to a DE experience so better for a DE user moving to SE than for a traditional Gem fan.
So maybe a Gem blade in a three piece razor is like a square peg in a round hole. 😉

The problem seems to be that using a Gem blade clamped in a traditional three piece design does not allow the stiffer, thicker blade to be used at the proper angle and the angle is closer to a DE experience so better for a DE user moving to SE than for a traditional Gem fan.
So maybe a Gem blade in a three piece razor is like a square peg in a round hole. 😉
Maybe. It took me a while to get used to holding the handle much higher than I would for a DE, so there is that...

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm , homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

Returning to an old favourite for the weekend., :love:

dnfHgz3.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Blue Devil - Doral (Native Olive) handle with 26mm AP Shave Co G5C knot
Str8:- Dubl Duck Goldedge
Soap/Aftershave:- Reef Point Soaps - Command Presence / Stirling WHAM​

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Naked & Smooth
Razor/Blade:- Muhle R41GS SS / Astra SS #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Paladin McInroy Legacy Series shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Haverford shaving soap
Razor: Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky'
Blade: Feather (2)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Haverford splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Haverford EDT

This really is a great setup!

SOTD – LATE EVENING SAT 12 NOV 2022

SOTD-20221112-setup.png

Shave Result: I was a bit heavy on the water and the lather was a touch over-hydrated for my preference but performance was great. I get a light pleasant soapy cosmetic aroma of the lather, could have easily added some scent oils. The Fatip matches well with Blue Sword blade, it felt sharp and smooth, this blade is looking to be a keeper so far, so overall a lovely DFS with no irritations.

THE GEAR:
+ Pre Shave: None
+ Brush: RazoRock Butterscotch 400 with 24mm Black Plissoft
+ Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife soap puck
+ Bowl: Yaqi Black ABS “Duke”
+ Razor: Fatip Black and Gold Gentile with Grande handle
+ Blade: Blue Sword by Lord (3)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol & Tea-tree oil
+ Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
+ After Shave: Old Spice AS
+ Moisturiser: Nivea Men Creme

Status