Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Proraso Blue pre-shave cream
Brush: TroyCraft Chameleon test (purple green gold).
Soap: Squadron - Spitfire
Razor: Gillette Fatboy #7
Blade: Gillette vintage #1
Post-shave: Osmo Alum block, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Stray Whisker Balm, Squadron Scramble

Another keeper brush. This one is an experiment in chameleon coating and polyurethane spray finish.
The first finish was acrylic spray lacquer which was beautifully flawless.
Then we went to the buffing wheels and almost immediately ripped straight through to the base resin during polishing :banghead: :mad::arghh:😤😡🤬💩
So back to the lathe, sanded it all off and start again, though not as flawless a pigment coating as the first time round.
Still very pretty, but not flawless, so not saleable. What I learned during this one though goes into the next ones which will be saleable product.
Live and learn, and I get to keep a really pretty brush though.
The knot is a synthetic I used previously on a resin leftover mash poured blank, which broke in half when I dropped it, so now the knot has a new home.

5xhxZM7.jpg

How's the Blackbird?
I'm happy I added the BB as its a step up in efficiency compared to my other favourite the Rocca yet as smooth with long lasting results. I can't see myself adding another DE razor as the BB offers the perfect amount of blade feel that I can use it regularly and the finish and feel is ideal so very very happy!

I'm happy I added the BB as its a step up in efficiency compared to my other favourite the Rocca yet as smooth with long lasting results. I can't see myself adding another DE razor as the BB offers the perfect amount of blade feel that I can use it regularly and the finish and feel is ideal so very very happy!
I always like hearing when people find their grails. :)

I always like hearing when people find their grails. :)
I've been lucky enough to try a few 'premium' razors and many shaved great but struggled to provide a smooth, even shave that lasted more than half a day which is why I enjoy the Rocca so much as cost to performance it delivers better for my needs over more expensive brands.

Ultimately SE shaving has taught me that AC blades do a better job at slicing my whiskers evenly hence my appreciation for the Vector and the fact its so nimble makes it an easy option but being Titanium I can't help but fear it would get easily damaged with daily use so having redundancy in my rotation is important which is why I've slowly dwindled my collection down to a handful of razors that serve my needs fantastically.

I wasn't really after another razor barring a Vector in SS but glad I took a punt as so far the Blackbird fills a sweet spot between the Rocca and Vector that should serve my needs for the foreseeable future so happy to declare RAD cured and the quest for the holy trinity of razors is complete... (y)

av9tCZr.jpeg

/ Arnobrush Tomahawk Matt Ivory w. Lansky G4
/ Caties Bubbles x Talbot Shaving Valley of Fire
/ Above the Tie Calypso Pro Aluminium
/ Personna Super (3)
/ The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

Finally received the replacement top cap from Gifts&Care. The edges are still not dead straight but at least both sides are even. Despite that... was about as good a shave as any.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @TroyTools Platypig shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' adjustable (6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Australian Super Stainless (8)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance: N/A

Wanted to show the thumb grip on this bowl, kinda cool

5ZNQ1KQl.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Paladin Cleo 26/52mm Bulb in Cobalt
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Naked & Smooth
Razor/Blade:- Golddachs (Timor G & F) TTO Titanium Short Handle / Wizamet SI #12
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

SOTD – SUN 27 Nov 2022 ... 4 Weeks to Xmas Shave

SOTD-20221127-setup.png

Shave Result: First time using a 345 soap base and used 2.6gm to generate a lovely rich creamy medium density lather. Lather gave a top Tier performance in my books, including a creamy post shave feel. To my nose the scent smells like a lovely Xmas Peppermint cream, scent strength 6/10. The Yaqi “Mellon” is another razor that works well with the Blue Sword Platinum.

🎥Shave Video🎥

The Gear:

+ Pre Shave: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream
+ Brush: Yaqi “Barber Pole” with 24mm Synbad knot
+ Soap: 345 Soap Co. - Snow Capped
+ Bowl: Yaqi Blue Ceramic “Duke”
+ Razor: Yaqi “Mellon” head with vintage look Wooden handle
+ Blade: Blue Sword Platinum by Lord (3)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with menthol
+ Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
+ After Shave: Blue Stratos AS [A]
+ Moisturiser: Nivea Men Creme

[A] = Australian Made

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm , homebrew moisturiser
COTD: Mocha Ismaili, Yemen

I was in a hurry this morning, so no time for choice paralysis. Just picked up what was there from yesterday, except that I forgot the sunblock. Now I'm regretting that, as I have an uncomfortable case of sunburn on my cranium, acquired in just 15 minutes. Brutal Tasmanian sun, especially at this altitude. Multiple applications of witch hazel are working their magic though.

You've mentioned tier one and two on a number of occasions, and I'm still a bit curious as to what this means, or how you arrive at that classification. Is there a tier 3? Colonel Conk maybe? :unsure: :p Could you elaborate? Cheers
Tier is just a YMMV, everyone has a different opinion on soaps. But, I still hate the famous piss stick and tub.
SduwtyA.jpg

Gem Streamline
Gem PTFE
Ever-Ready 200
Vintage Yardley
Squadron Ace

I received a suspicious package from @Gargravarr the other day.
It contains some scrapings of vintage Yardley and today I tried it out. Despite it's age and powdery appearance it still makes a very nice lather.
@Sticky all of your Vintage SE look to be in immaculate condition especially the streamline (its a very pretty razor). Any restorations or all near new old stock?

This week out with
qO39FAm.gif

Pre-shave: Shower/Bloom Water
Brush:- Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle
Razor:- Wald-Solingen Bur
Soap/Aftershave Balm: Tcheon Fung Sing - Torino Forti Sensazioni

@Sticky all of your Vintage SE look to be in immaculate condition especially the streamline (its a very pretty razor). Any restorations or all near new old stock?

This week out with
qO39FAm.gif

Pre-shave: Shower/Bloom Water
Brush:- Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle
Razor:- Wald-Solingen Bur
Soap/Aftershave Balm: Tcheon Fung Sing - Torino Forti Sensazioni
Thanks. No restorations, just clean ups really. I do have some pretty nice ones but they are not all perfect by any means. I will say the Streamlines are a solid built razor with thick chrome plating and hold up very well. I have a few sets but this one is my user grade, always to hand and my favourite razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.