Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. No restorations, just clean ups really. I do have some pretty nice ones but they are not all perfect by any means. I will say the Streamlines are a solid built razor with thick chrome plating and hold up very well. I have a few sets but this one is my user grade, always to hand and my favourite razor.
I'll keep my eye out for a reasonably priced user grade razor :) (y)

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Alpha Claymore Evolution
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm , homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Gambella natural sundried process, Ethiopia

Yesterday's brush with sunburn called for a soothing shave. This combo of brush and soap is as soothing as it gets...

In with another Italian
kQ0MRP6.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower/Bloom Water
Brush:- Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle
Razor:- Wald-Solingen Bur
Soap:- Proraso - Green Tea and Oatmeal Sapone Da Barba
Aftershave:- Fine - American Blend

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson The Duke shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps Empire shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' adjustable (6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Australian Super Stainless (2)
Post-shave: Squadron Soaps Empire splash
Fragrance: N/A

Another early start yesterday to be at Parliament House at 5:30 for an event - so no pic or post.

Today, another lovely 'summer' shave

hZP8iRZl.jpg

PXL-20221128-215723764.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5A
Soap: Vintage Colgate - thanks @Sticky (y)
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: GEM Blue Star (plain carbon)
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm , homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Gambella natural sundried process, Ethiopia

Lots of exciting things going on here, thanks to @Sticky who kindly sent me two different samples of Colgate to try, along with a couple of Blue Star GEM blades. It can sometimes be a real struggle to extract old milled soaps from their containers, since they become really hard and brittle, and this was no exception; it came with the message that "it looks pretty hopeless" and "feel free to chuck it". Needless to say, I took that as a challenge, so I tipped the powdery soap into an old tin, added a couple of drops of pure mountain rain water and left it overnight.

Today it loaded easily and lathered up a treat, perhaps not as slick as I would like, but there's plenty left to try again another time soon. I had expected the plain carbon Blue Star blade to be quite different in "feel" from the Personna blades I normally use, but I think I would need to do a side-by-side to get a proper comparison, but it's fine, I guess I'll probably never get around to that.. :unsure:

Mining Camp Shave with gratuitous lather shot

5iyeG3e.jpg

mrttALC.jpg

Prep: Barrister Reserve Cool soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Omega Pro 48 Boar
Soap: Arko
Razor: ATT S1
Blade: Perma Sharp (3)
Scent: D.R. Harris Arlington EdC [/COLOR]

Good old Arko - bullet-proof lather.

oHheAbz.jpeg

/ Boti Lightning Timberwolf
/ Whispers from the Woods
/ Executive Shaving Claymore
/ Schick Proline (4)
/ The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

Since the start of my shaving journey I've been scraping out soap to lather in a bowl because I didn't like the idea of loading off the soap directly, mainly in terms of mess. Turns out I was misguided. For the last few weeks I've been loading directly off the soaps (except for the teeny maggards sample pots) and I've been getting much more consistent and better lathers. I now know that scraping the soap is inconsistent as different soaps load differently so that was probably not ideal.

Last edited:
oHheAbz.jpeg

/ Boti Lightning Timberwolf
/ Whispers from the Woods
/ Executive Shaving Claymore
/ Schick Proline (4)
/ The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

Since the start of my shaving journey I've been scraping out soap to lather in a bowl because I didn't like the idea of loading off the soap directly, mainly in terms of mess. Turns out I was misguided. For the last few weeks I've been loading directly off the soaps (except for the teeny maggards sample pots) and I've been getting much more consistent and better lathers. I now know that scraping the soap is inconsistent as different soaps load differently so that was probably not ideal.
It all depends on how many soaps you have. If (like me) you have less than, say, 10 in circulation, loading straight off the puck is fine, but if you have dozens or hundreds, you have to think about protecting them from the ravages of moisture if you want them to remain in their best condition.

Mining Camp Shave with gratuitous lather shot

5iyeG3e.jpg

mrttALC.jpg

Prep: Barrister Reserve Cool soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Omega Pro 48 Boar
Soap: Arko
Razor: ATT S1
Blade: Perma Sharp (3)
Scent: D.R. Harris Arlington EdC [/COLOR]

Good old Arko - bullet-proof lather.
Arko and a Boar = hard to beat for a bullet proof lather :p

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Fan Manchurian White
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Peach
Razor/Blade:- WEISHI 9306F Classic Chrome Short Handle / Astra SS #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Well, I would never describe Arko as that, but the Speedmaster might!
drSoaPP.gif

It all depends on how many soaps you have. If (like me) you have less than, say, 10 in circulation, loading straight off the puck is fine, but if you have dozens or hundreds, you have to think about protecting them from the ravages of moisture if you want them to remain in their best condition.
Good point. I do leave the just used soap out overnight to dry though before covering it back up. Or is that not ideal?

Just under 2 dozen tubs at the moment, not including sample pots.

Good point. I do leave the just used soap out overnight to dry though before covering it back up. Or is that not ideal?
Who knows, it may be enough, but the chemist in me would say no. Bear in mind that I'm being devil's advocate here, since I always load from the puck, but firstly there's (an unlikely) potential for contamination from the brush that may play out over time. Bacteria, moulds... As I say, unlikely, given what soap is primarily made of. A more likely scenario is oxidation, which could be hastened by a temporary superfluous presence of water. This could definitely lead to unwanted scents or other by-products developing, especially over a longish period of time. I reckon, if you never expect to finish a soap, then it's probably best to scoop and bowl lather.

Edit: the above is more addressed to artisan soaps. Hard milled soaps (or MdC which sort of fits in that group) are mostly fine with being used and dried off. And they give you a wonderful shave...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.