Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shaved late today. While making my first morning cup of tea, I suffered a bit of a turn and blacked out for a couple of minutes. My girlfriend took me to the local hospital. There, they did lots of tests on me and could find no reason for my turn. I was released from hospital in the afternoon with instructions that if it happens again, call an ambulance immediately.

Getting back home, I got the Ralf Aust 6/8 American (square) point out, stropped on clean leather, lathered with tallow Tabac and shaved. After the shave I applied my private-mix splash and Ralf was then maintained on a 0.1μm diamond pasted hanging balsa. All was again good with my life.

full

Hope that doesn’t happen again, take it easy!

IMG-20220106-224102-2.jpg

Brush: TROYCRAFT Clear/White/Blue 24mm 2 Band Finest - P&C Charity Auction 2021
Razor: Stando Polska "Rod" Brass SE
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (1)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Wolfpac Ice Pac
Post: Nuetrogena Hydro Boost Gel // Sukin Hydration Biomarine Facial Serum
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

First shave with the new razor and overall impressions were good as decent feel with good heft and a mid-aggressive shave just below the Vector which makes it an ideal daily shaving option which was my desire.

The finish is a bit spotty but nothing a mild polish won't remedy and I much prefer the nimbler head of the Vector especially under the nose but as an alternative to the SS Hawk V3 I'm satisfied and look forward to testing out different AC blades. Thanks to @klinker and @Errol for their opinions as happy with my purchase. (y)

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (1)

First shave with the new razor and overall impressions were good as decent feel with good heft and a mid-aggressive shave just below the Vector which makes it an ideal daily shaving option which was my desire.

The finish is a bit spotty but nothing a mild polish won't remedy and I much prefer the nimbler head of the Vector especially under the nose but as an alternative to the SS Hawk V3 I'm satisfied and look forward to testing out different AC blades. Thanks to @klinker and @Errol for their opinions as happy with my purchase. (y)

Glad it worked out @Razor Burn. I find it very similar to the Hawk V3 standard.:)

AlgPqWcl.jpg

Ok, my very first shave soap was the Proraso green in the tub. It probably wasn’t the most ideal thing to begin lathering, but I guess it kept me interested in the hobby for long enough to discover so much more.

After finishing that tub, I went the tube option because, why not right? Then I went down the TOBS and eventually to the artisan scene that knows me best to this day.

But what with the tube I bought some years ago?

Well, it was decided that I shall use it up!

My memories of the cream were that it was better than the tub, unsure why though. To aide in my lathering of this, I used my mystic mantra - load more product!

This is what I do…

1. Wet the face.
  2. Squeeze out about a 2cm amount of cream.
  3. Apply to right side of face.
  4. Squeeze out another 2cm bit of cream.
  5. Apply to left side of face.
  6. Squeeze out a third, yes third (3rd) 2cm dollop of cream.
  7. Apply to neck.
  8. Lightly rub cream into fairly even coverage of area to shave.
  9. Lather with favourite brush of choice, adding small but regular amounts of water as I go.

I think two parts are crucial here. More product, not the “pea-sized” amount that many will tell you to use. And add water.

I’m not using this cream to save time, it takes about the same time getting this ready as a soap does, because I’m constantly adding water. The cream can take it well. Very well. I know it’s ready when dollops of lather are dripping from my face.

In my opinion, this is how to use the cream, and it gives very very good results by doing so.

If Proraso can give slickness for the Vector, it’ll work for any razor!

AlgPqWcl.jpg

Ok, my very first shave soap was the Proraso green in the tub. It probably wasn’t the most ideal thing to begin lathering, but I guess it kept me interested in the hobby for long enough to discover so much more.

After finishing that tub, I went the tube option because, why not right? Then I went down the TOBS and eventually to the artisan scene that knows me best to this day.

But what with the tube I bought some years ago?

Well, it was decided that I shall use it up!

My memories of the cream were that it was better than the tub, unsure why though. To aide in my lathering of this, I used my mystic mantra - load more product!

This is what I do…

1. Wet the face.
  2. Squeeze out about a 2cm amount of cream.
  3. Apply to right side of face.
  4. Squeeze out another 2cm bit of cream.
  5. Apply to left side of face.
  6. Squeeze out a third, yes third (3rd) 2cm dollop of cream.
  7. Apply to neck.
  8. Lightly rub cream into fairly even coverage of area to shave.
  9. Lather with favourite brush of choice, adding small but regular amounts of water as I go.

I think two parts are crucial here. More product, not the “pea-sized” amount that many will tell you to use. And add water.

I’m not using this cream to save time, it takes about the same time getting this ready as a soap does, because I’m constantly adding water. The cream can take it well. Very well. I know it’s ready when dollops of lather are dripping from my face.

In my opinion, this is how to use the cream, and it gives very very good results by doing so.

If Proraso can give slickness for the Vector, it’ll work for any razor!
@tim33z - 100% with you on using a decent amount of cream. Like you, I get great results with Proraso Green when I do this.

LRdjgj4.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Cream: Jack Black Supreme Cream
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Bootlegger's Perfecto Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Santa Maria Novella Peau D'Espagne Cologne

A truly wonderful shave. Jack Black Supreme cream flies under the radar, but I seriously rate it.
And the SMN Peau D'Espagne cologne - wow! Not for the faint hearted, but a truly magnificent leather scent, at least in my book.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Omega - 10098
Soap:- Murphy & McNeil - Bad Mor
Blade:- Schick P-30 Proline Artist Club (7)
Razor:- Blackland Vector with Razorock Bulldog Handle
Aftershave:- Barrister & Mann - Reserve Spice

hPnIqlY.jpg

Only one shave down but I prefer the Vector with Bulldog handle.
Moving on the Supers also improved the shave experience.
Regrowth sooner with a used P-30 @ 7 but the shave was so much more enjoyable

/ Yaqi Everest
/ Blutt Rasur BR-1 0.99
/ Gillette 7OC Super Platinum Black (3)
/ Ariana & Evans London Gin Club
/ The Ordinary Glycolic Toner
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

The blade was on its last legs by the third pass but the Blutt’s blade exposure meant buffing wasn’t like scraping paint.

wnrFQzy.jpg

Pre: shower, Proraso pre
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson P8 Phyl Best Badger
(TSN group buy 2013; 43/200)
Razor: Feather AC SS
Blade: Feather Super Professional (1)
Post post: Myrsol Emulsion
Fragrance: Chanel Egoiste EDT

My first “straight” shave in several years. Still feel clumsy with some angles but ok with others. Did ok but definitely need more practice.

Last edited:

Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (2)

Same setup and overall very good results. What has impressed me so far is the longevity as well over 10+ hrs until I notice significant regrowth. The brass also polished up nicely post a light dab of PlastiX.

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline (1)
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+
COTD: Yemen Mocha Ismaili

This is my first time with Yardley soap since about 1978, and almost exactly what I remembered. Thanks again to @Mark1966 for providing the opportunity to indulge in some nostalgia. (y) I fully anticipated that it would be unscented by now (it's at least 66 years old) but amazingly, it still smells fresh, a fougèreish lavender that I don't think many of the artisan soap makers would get away with these days, a really classy old-time scent. Lathering up was as easy as if the soap were made yesterday, easily the equal of the very best top-shelf soaps. The aftershave in this set is about 80 years old, and I wasn't quite ready for that adventure yet, probably Monday.

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline (1)
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+
COTD: Yemen Mocha Ismaili

This is my first time with Yardley soap since about 1978, and almost exactly what I remembered. Thanks again to @Mark1966 for providing the opportunity to indulge in some nostalgia. (y) I fully anticipated that it would be unscented by now (it's at least 66 years old) but amazingly, it still smells fresh, a fougèreish lavender that I don't think many of the artisan soap makers would get away with these days, a really classy old-time scent. Lathering up was as easy as if the soap were made yesterday, easily the equal of the very best top-shelf soaps. The aftershave in this set is about 80 years old, and I wasn't quite ready for that adventure yet, probably Monday.

We seem to have the same table!

Amazing to have a soap that’s so old. I probably had the beginnings of some light facial fluff in 1978. Probably used a Gillette blue double blade cartridge razor soon after with canned foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.