Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
1UCtgOM.png
Gillette Valet/AutoStrop Gold VC4 / Feather Fhs-10
Elite Razor Ivory over Pastel Swirl 24mm Boar
Vintage Colgate Shaving Mug Soap
Epsilon Amber Aftershave

This one's for you @Mark1966, because I know how envious you are of my AutoStrop collection. :whistle:

1UCtgOM.png
Gillette Valet/AutoStrop Gold VC4 / Feather Fhs-10
Elite Razor Ivory over Pastel Swirl 24mm Boar
Vintage Colgate Shaving Mug Soap
Epsilon Amber Aftershave

This one's for you @Mark1966, because I know how envious you are of my AutoStrop collection. :whistle:

Sensational work there. So impressed that these are getting used.

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, forgot the fucking sunblock and got burnt. Bugger. :facepalm:
COTD: Yemen Mocha Ismaili

The observant reader may notice a certain "deja vu" characteristic to this SOTD. Well, you're going to just have to get used to it, this soap is going to feature commonly for some time to come, it's truly lovely stuff.

Time to break out some of the vintage and birthyear gear

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Vintage Rooney - Butterscotch Boar
Soap:- Vintage Old Spice
Razor:- 1966 Russian "Capital" with original edge honed by @bald as
Aftershave:- B&M Reserve Spice

MZH8xbh.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Trois shaving soap
Razor: Rhodium Replated Vintage Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable (2)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (1)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Trois splash
Fragrance: N/A

I knew that this Slim was more aggressive than my other one, but I didn't realise how much more. Got some feeler gauges on the weekend. Seems that a 2 on this one is the same as a 5 on my other one!

Much better result dialing it down.

ZXhoq7yl.jpg

This morning I dug into my luggage and pulled out one of my shavettes, a Chinese generic stainless steel. I matched it up with a new Feather DE half-blade and face lathered with ARKO.

full

The result showed me that I need to send a little more time with most of my traditional straight razors to try and get their edges up to the same as the Feather DE blade. It was a pleasure to shave with ARKO again.

I think that I will shave with this shavette and Feather DE half-blade over the next few days to see how many decent shaves it will give me.

M1wjZKg.jpeg

/ Blue Devil Huon Pine Tuxedo
/ St James of London Mandarin & Patchouli
/ Muhle Rocca R95 Birch
/ Gillette Super Stainless (1)
/ The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner
/ Nivea Skin and Stubble

Face lathered this time which turned out to be a pleasure with this brush and cream. Should do it more often.

8zBYDFx.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney Polo 2 Super Badger
Soap: MWF
Razor: Gillette Aristcrat #22
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Platinum Royal (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, DR Harris Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Creed Tabarome Millésime EdP

The Aristocrat has recently returned from Razor Emporium following a tune-up, and was a delight to shave with.

1.png

Brush: Forgotten Art 26mm Tux
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, ¿Yardley English Lavender A/S?

More of the same, but I thought I'd try the A/S in this set. Sadly, that was not to be. Over 80 years old, I could detect the remnants of what I remember from decades ago, but only under multiple layers of much less pleasant aromas. It was always going to be a long shot. I'm still more than happy though, the soap is perfect and much more important to me.

This is the last time I use this brush in its present incarnation. I have an Omega piggy-wig waiting for a swap.

1.png

Brush: Forgotten Art 26mm Tux
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, ¿Yardley English Lavender A/S?

More of the same, but I thought I'd try the A/S in this set. Sadly, that was not to be. Over 80 years old, I could detect the remnants of what I remember from decades ago, but only under multiple layers of much less pleasant aromas. It was always going to be a long shot. I'm still more than happy though, the soap is perfect and much more important to me.

This is the last time I use this brush in its present incarnation. I have an Omega piggy-wig waiting for a swap.

Sorry to hear that :(

Don't worry about it, caveat emptor. :whistle: I got what I really wanted. (y)

I was hoping that it would tick EVERY box though. Oh well, at least the soap is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.