Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping that it would tick EVERY box though. Oh well, at least the soap is fine.
As a matter of interest, does anyone here use talcum powder any more? I don't recall anyone I knew ever doing so, but I gather it was a "thing" before my time. I think my Mum might have used baby powder on me and my siblings when we were sprogs...

As a matter of interest, does anyone here use talcum powder any more? I don't recall anyone I knew ever doing so, but I gather it was a "thing" before my time. I think my Mum might have used baby powder on me and my siblings when we were sprogs...
Noble Otter do talc so maybe it’s a returning fad?

9ob8wzxl.jpg

Pre Shave: Hot Towel
Razor: Gold Dollar Straight Razor 910 with ram's horn scales
Soap: B&M Vespers
Brush: Dscosmetic Handle with OUMO Smokey Grey Synthetic knot

I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed with the Vespers scent when I first opened the tub, it reminded me too much of B&M Diamond, which I love but I don't want something that smelt the same as a product that I already have. After a few more sniffs, it started to grow on me. After shaving with it and applying the balm I can now honestly say, I really like this one.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Trois shaving soap
Razor: Rhodium Replated Vintage Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable (2)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Trois splash
Fragrance: N/A

OK, got the measure of this now

ZXhoq7yl.jpg

mJ51yvu.jpg

Pre: shower
Brush: Restored Strong Set Synthetic
Soap: MWF
Razor: Ralf Aust 6/8 - for just 1 pass
(finishing with the RR Lupo 95)
Fragrance: Penhaligon’s Opus 1870

This was a tough shave. My straight shaving skills are pretty dismal, but I clearly have to also put some effort into maintaining the edge on the blade, if I’m seriously going to be doing this. Realistically, the effort doesn’t seem worth it for me at the moment. Safety razors are so much easier and are also plenty enjoyable to use. Enough dabbling!

If you have the skill, materials and equipment, you could thin those scales down.

That would be pretty easy to do as It's not the horn that's gives it the weight, its the thick brass pieces that the horn is pinned on to. Maybe one day if I get inclined to do it, I'll give it a shot.

That would be pretty easy to do as It's not the horn that's gives it the weight, its the thick brass pieces that the horn is pinned on to. Maybe one day if I get inclined to do it, I'll give it a shot.
Thinning the brass will decrease the mass but not reduce the scales' chunkiness. For that, you will need to disassemble and reduce the horn thickness.

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm Boss
Soap: NOS TOBS Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge Cologne
COTD: Yemen Mocha Ismaili

Plenty of people have had good things to say about this now-discontinued milled soap from TOBS, but I can't say it impressed me all that much. I'm used to my hard soaps lathering up instantly, but with this one I had to work hard to get a merely adequate lather. Moreover, the scent is a particularly powdery kind that puts me in mind of a wet nappy (not that I have personally had to deal with those, but some things cannot be unbeheld).

I'll give it another go when I have a piggy-wig to try on it, but I think it might just end up going to landfill. At least the bowl is nice.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Butterscotch Simpson AS2A with Rhodium Knots 22mm Manchurian bulb
Soap:- Murphy & McNeil - Bád Mór
Razor:- 66' Slim L1 @5/4/3
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (1)
Aftershave:- Ogallala - Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorn

xwJbbNH.jpg

I wouldn't class the Slim as an aggressive razor but I swear I have had more nicks and weepers than any other razor.
I'm blaming the Aussie spoiler because @5 is usually as low as I go with other blades
If you like a peppery burn from Bay Rum soaps M&M Bád Mór delivers :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.