Status
Not open for further replies.
PXL-20230713-061121228-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "takayna" 26mm shoat
Soap: Art of Shaving (Valobra) - Sandalwood
Razor: ΑΛΦΑ Claymore Evolution
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

Same as yesterday, but this time with a fresh puck of Pears soap: now smaller by a third than it used to be. I really hate shrinkflation, it makes me want to hit someone. :rage: Especially when it's always shortly followed by a price hike from the retailer.

SOTD – Fri 14 July 2023

SOTD-20230714-setup.png

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Dscosmetic Coffee with 24/56 synthetic G7
  • Soap: The Gentleman Floris (London) - “No.89”
  • Bowl: Whispers from The Woods
  • Razor: Yaqi SS “Tile” with Nickel plated Quo Handle
  • Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum HQ (2)
  • Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol, T.Tree & Peppermint
  • Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
  • After Shave: Proraso Sandalwood AS
  • Moisturiser (later on): Nivea Men Creme (Face-Body-Hands)

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC Two Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- D.R. Harris ~ Sandalwood
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Std SS Polished / Astra Superior Platinum #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

KfgfyrV.png

Friday P.M. Shave 07.14.23
RAZOR: Gillette ‘51 W2 Gold Aristocrat
BLADE: Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
BRUSH: AP Shave Co. 26mm G5C Semi-Transparent Yellow Handle
LATHER: The Art of Shaving Lavender shave soap

PXL-20230714-220046890-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "takayna" 26mm shoat
Soap: Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

I think this is the first time I've used a boar with Yardley in over 40 years. Niiiice... :smug:

I can recommend the Turn n Shave shoat knot, BTW, I reckon it's the densest piggy-wig I've ever used. I ordered this one fully-gelled, but I'm not totally convinced that's what I ended up with. Nevertheless, it's breaking in nicely without having to resort to savage measures.

Very Nice! So the Mastro Livi is a good blade? Any comparisons?
Not in my repertoire PB but then my experience is limited (must buy moarr razors)
I imagine a larger blade > 7/8 round tip that has been bread knifed would feel similar
Also being shoulderless with a very high grind makes it unique in my den (need moarr razors) maybe similar to some western grind Japanese razors but I wouldnt' know yet :)
I'll have to take one for the team and buy a few more straights to compare ;)

Not in my repertoire PB but then my experience is limited (must buy moarr razors)
I imagine a larger blade > 7/8 round tip that has been bread knifed would feel similar
Also being shoulderless with a very high grind makes it unique in my den (need moarr razors) maybe similar to some western grind Japanese razors but I wouldnt' know yet :)
I'll have to take one for the team and buy a few more straights to compare ;)
Yes! You need moar razors!:ROFLMAO:
But I think you misunderstood my post.....I was already slightly drooling and I wanted you to say how wonderful the Mastro Livi is so I'd be convinced I need moar razors.:ROFLMAO:

FszMMSEl.jpg

Put the Thiers Issard on the stones last night finishing with the recently purchased stone from @bald as . This would have to be close to my favourite razor (don't really like to say 'the one razor to rule them all'), it takes a beautiful edge giving consistently enjoyable shaves. Add a beautiful badger brush and some quality soap = lovely shave.

Soap: Mystic Water Soap - Marrakesh
Brush: Paladin
Razor: TI Flower Pattern
AS: APR Winterfell

Yes! You need moar razors!:ROFLMAO:
But I think you misunderstood my post.....I was already slightly drooling and I wanted you to say how wonderful the Mastro Livi is so I'd be convinced I need moar razors.:ROFLMAO:
Hi PB I'd say the shave is up there with Filarmonica #14 drool worthy but the razors are expensive for their intentionally rough industrial and unfinished look.
Uneven grind marks on the tang and spine etc. I got this one for a bargain considering it had the case and brush

Hi PB I'd say the shave is up there with Filarmonica #14 drool worthy but the razors are expensive for their intentionally rough industrial and unfinished look.
Uneven grind marks on the tang and spine etc. I got this one for a bargain considering it had the case and brush
Thanks @Holiday , I’ll just enjoy my Aussie made C. K. Colling razor then and enjoy the occasional viewing of your Mastro Livi on the forum. :)

FszMMSEl.jpg

Put the Thiers Issard on the stones last night finishing with the recently purchased stone from @bald as . This would have to be close to my favourite razor (don't really like to say 'the one razor to rule them all'), it takes a beautiful edge giving consistently enjoyable shaves. Add a beautiful badger brush and some quality soap = lovely shave.

Soap: Mystic Water Soap - Marrakesh
Brush: Paladin
Razor: TI Flower Pattern
AS: APR Winterfell
Wowsers - seriously superb shave (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.