Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
WR2 1.25
Minora
Zenith 27mm Unbleached Boar
Tabac Soap & Splash

really loving this boar, tips are feeling a little softer with really nice backbone and a lather monster

53215071438_61c4ecbd13_h.jpg

PXL-20230723-224239325-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Polar Nocturne" 28 AP Titanium
Soap: Yardley
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Mocha Selection Ismaili, Yemen

It's worth having to chase the remains of this soap around the tub for a shave like this... :love:

SOTD – Thu 28 Sep 2023

SOTD-20230927-setup.png

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio Men Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: TroyCraft “Golden Tulip” with 26/52 Yaqi Boss knot [A]
  • Soap: WashPool Supply Co. - 03 Unscented [A]
  • Scent Oil: Aussie Soap Supplies - Cedar & Saffron [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers from The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Twig SE by Leaf Shave
  • Blade: Lord Saloon SS (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS Tonic with added Menthol
  • Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
  • After Shave: Nivea Deep Comfort AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger in Tall Amber Resin 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Tuscany
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip (0.66mm) E1 1959 / GSB #8 ... finished
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- YSL L Homme

Rockwell 6C R5/R6
Minora
TroyCraft 28mm Boar
Semogue Galahad C3 22mm Boar
MdC Argumes
RR Don Marco

grabbed the 6C today but took along the BB as a backup razor.. been a long time and didnt expect much but was quite blown away with the first pass... so smooth on plate R5 with mid efficiency, was an absolute please to finish all three passes while retaining its smoothness throughout. decided to do one more ATG on the face only but give R6 a try, was just as smooth and with a little more efficiency

wow, cant remember the 6C being this good a razor and will be now put back into production :)

The boars are breaking in well

53219756560_eb649df1d2_h.jpg

Rockwell 6C R5/R6
Minora
TroyCraft 28mm Boar
Semogue Galahad C3 22mm Boar
MdC Argumes
RR Don Marco

grabbed the 6C today but took along the BB as a backup razor.. been a long time and didnt expect much but was quite blown away with the first pass... so smooth on plate R5 with mid efficiency, was an absolute please to finish all three passes while retaining its smoothness throughout. decided to do one more ATG on the face only but give R6 a try, was just as smooth and with a little more efficiency

wow, cant remember the 6C being this good a razor and will be now put back into production :)

The boars are breaking in well

53219756560_eb649df1d2_h.jpg
That @TroyTools brush is an absolute stunner (y)

I've got so many knots waiting for a @TroyTools handle. I've really got to stop spending money on my flight and racing sim cockpits......

That @TroyTools brush is an absolute stunner (y)

I've got so many knots waiting for a @TroyTools handle. I've really got to stop spending money on my flight and racing sim cockpits......

thanks its a beauty.. it was my first @TroyTools brush and then........... :)

what knots are planning to get in those brushes?

this boar was a full broomstick when I got it, used it a few times but was hard to build a lather and super stiff/scratchy.. it is now starting to break in real nice but still has a way to go. getting a lot easier to build a nice lather and the tips are starting to feel nice and soft while still retaining the backbone.. on a bit of a mission to get all the boars broken in and so far really enjoying them

what knots are planning to get in those brushes?
Nothing flash, just a boar and a couple of synthetics that were given to me by the owner of The Wet Shaving Co, when he sold up. I just don't want them going to waste in my cupboard. I've been promising Troy for months that I'd order some handles but just don't have the cash spare at the moment.

So does replacing the plastic scales with traditional ones make a difference to the shave?
Why yes. Yes it does.

Pre-shave: shower
Brush: Yaqi handle, Lansky synth knot
Razor: feather shavette clone, purple heart scales
Soap: Seville
Post-shave: Malizia Uomo Vetyver

looks amazing 😍 did you do that yourself?

if you have any pointers to replacing scales please let me know

looks amazing 😍 did you do that yourself?

if you have any pointers to replacing scales please let me know
I made these for a CVH mk.32 blade I have. However there is a little warp in the tang so I decided will go with something else for the mk.32 as it doesn't sit nicely in these.
Seemed a shame not to put them to use so I upgraded the shavette as that is what I am using most at the moment.
As to pointers, I've made a few sets but I'm no expert. It would be worth starting a thread with your questions where we can all chime in

SOTWend...

2.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Czech & Speake (Valobra) - Oxford & Cambridge
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Mocha Selection Ismaili, Yemen

Status
Not open for further replies.