Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Butterknife! :)

UqCHMZr.jpg

Henckels Friodur 17½ 7/8 Half Hollow - PAA Peregrino - SV Felce Aromatica - Speick Splash - Sukin Moisturiser

The result:
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with vintage razors, now I know, the Gillette Flare Tip Rocket is an absolute cracker of a razor, so easy to shave with and a great result, it actually puts a lot of modern razors to shame.
Looks like I have a new passion to indulge in.
Welcome to the rabbit hole :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

Putting aside my Yardley for the weekend to indulge in the ultimate lavender hit...

dRkG2xQ.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Troy Tools (Maggards SHD 2 band badger)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino ‘Opuntia’
Razor: Ford & Medley 'Emu' brand Sheffield 6/8
Strop: DCBlades Roo/Cotton
Post-shave: Shavex Alum block, Fine ‘Platinum’, Mont Blanc ‘Explorer’

Since acquiring a set of Nagura as pictured I've been practicing with them on the 3 Sheffield straights I picked up a few weeks back. The results have been great and I'm very happy with the edges I've put on them. Today I also did my Filarmonica 14, review to follow. The Naguras as pictured above are, clockwise from left are: Tomo, Botan, Tenjyo and Mejiro.
They are used to create slurry on the finishing stone, which is a small Nakayama Mizu Asagi. After the Nagura I finished with water and a drop of detergent on the Nakayama.
I've read that different steels behave differently with this process; now that I've done 3 Sheffield blades with good results it will be interesting to see if I can have the same luck with my other razors. The real win is that shaving with a really nice edge is so much easier and safer, so my shave quality has gone up commensurate with the edge quality.

Last edited:
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Stirling Finest Badger 26/54mm bulb knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat (tallow)
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / German Wilky #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac 'Craftsman' Natural Spray EDT

dRkG2xQ.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Troy Tools (Maggards SHD 2 band badger)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino ‘Opuntia’
Razor: Ford & Medley 'Emu' brand Sheffield 6/8
Strop: DCBlades Roo/Cotton
Post-shave: Shavex Alum block, Fine ‘Platinum’, Mont Blanc ‘Explorer’

Since acquiring a set of Nagura as pictured I've been practicing with them on the 3 Sheffield straights I picked up a few weeks back. The results have been great and I'm very happy with the edges I've put on them. Today I also did my Filarmonica 14, review to follow. The Naguras as pictured above are, clockwise from left are: Tomo, Botan, Tenjyo and Mejiro.
They are used to create slurry on the finishing stone, which is a small Nakayama Mizu Asagi. After the Nagura I finished with water and a drop of detergent on the Nakayama.
I've read that different steels behave differently with this process; now that I've done 3 Sheffield blades with good results it will be interesting to see if I can have the same luck with my other razors. The real win is that shaving with a really nice edge is so much easier and safer, so my shave quality has gone up commensurate with the edge quality.
What a complicated lot of rocks you have there. As a former blacksmith, I fancied I knew how to treat an edge, and I still have a few
useful stones somewhere (one of them an old Ark that my Dad bought in his early 20s), but I confess to having no idea how you would go about using that collection.

One of these days you might enlighten us? Looking at those arcane artifacts with all those mystical inscriptions make me wonder if @rbscebu's balsa strops aren't a damn fine idea. That progression of quantified grit sizes makes sense to me, but those pretty rocks don't.

H- SOTD 28.10.23
IMG-6882.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot flannel
Brush:- Grizzly Bay w/ Fanchurian knot
Soap: TOBS - Shaving Cream
Razor: Gold Dollar 66 (+ leaf top up)
Moisturiser: Crew - Facebalm (+SPF 15)

Gold Dollar 66 on loan from @Rbsceu beautifully finished in wattle scales.
So first head shave with a straight razor. I don’t think I’ve ever shaved so slowly or so carefully. Razor performed like a feather blade. Managed to shave my neck, cheeks, too of my dome, and both sides. I didn’t feel confident enough to do the back of my head. Might take a few more shaves before that happens. Was just focussing on stretching the skin and keeping the blade flat.

I think my one take away from todays shave is that shaving your head with a SR is feasible!

Looking forwards to the next shave!!

C

Does anyone have “Moonsoaps - Old Skool” that would be prepared to send me a sample?

Proraso white pre
Proraso red cream
Witch hazel, Nivea balm, Proraso red

The firehose strop does something right for my edge. My gold dollar after 8k and 0.25 paste wasnt shaving very nice. But after stroping on firehose and then clean leather, something improved. I noticed the edge digged into my skin a little less but still cut hair quite effortlessly.

This proraso red line works wery well for me. I read some criticism on it so never tried it. But now I did because why not see for myself. It makes the razor glide a bit better and leaves my skin feeling so nice. I would pay way more for this.

Note to self - shave before spending quality time with a lady, NOT after. Shaky hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.