Not open for further replies.
H- SOTD 28.10.23
IMG-6882.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot flannel
Brush:- Grizzly Bay w/ Fanchurian knot
Soap: TOBS - Shaving Cream
Razor: Gold Dollar 66 (+ leaf top up)
Moisturiser: Crew - Facebalm (+SPF 15)

Gold Dollar 66 on loan from @Rbsceu beautifully finished in wattle scales.
So first head shave with a straight razor. I don’t think I’ve ever shaved so slowly or so carefully. Razor performed like a feather blade. Managed to shave my neck, cheeks, too of my dome, and both sides. I didn’t feel confident enough to do the back of my head. Might take a few more shaves before that happens. Was just focussing on stretching the skin and keeping the blade flat.

I think my one take away from todays shave is that shaving your head with a SR is feasible!

Looking forwards to the next shave!!

C

Does anyone have “Moonsoaps - Old Skool” that would be prepared to send me a sample?
Congratulations on your first SR head shave! Good to hear that the GD66 has worked well for you.

The Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 you will soon be receiving, should be a little more forgiving to you while shaving. It has a slightly more obtuse bevel angle but still a keen edge.

@Nanook generously sent me a Gillette Flare Tip Rocket and a Gillette Tech Ball End and today was the Tech Ball End's turn ...

The Shave:
- Me: Three days growth
- Brush: Yaqi Chubby
- Soap: Proraso Wood & Spice Shaving Cream
- Bowl: Face Lather, there's something very enjoyable with face lathering
- Razor: Gillette Tech Ball End
- Blade: Wilkinson Sword German with six shaves on it
- Splash: Lucky Tiger Bay Rum After Shave

The result:
After the great result with the Rocket I thought the Tech might may not be as good, I was wrong and it completed one of the closest shaves I've ever had.
These vintage razors are incredible and I am beginning to think that, as read elsewhere, the late 50's razors were the pinnacle of de razors, as well as a great time to be born!

One of these days you might enlighten us?
@Gargravarr This website is where I learnt of the Asano rating for Nagura, he explains it pretty well. In the end, it's just a progression from coarse to fine like every other system. One of the more expert exponents here like @bald as might chip in...

Last edited:
@Nanook generously sent me a Gillette Flare Tip Rocket and a Gillette Tech Ball End and today was the Tech Ball End's turn ...

The Shave:
- Me: Three days growth
- Brush: Yaqi Chubby
- Soap: Proraso Wood & Spice Shaving Cream
- Bowl: Face Lather, there's something very enjoyable with face lathering
- Razor: Gillette Tech Ball End
- Blade: Wilkinson Sword German with six shaves on it
- Splash: Lucky Tiger Bay Rum After Shave

The result:
After the great result with the Rocket I thought the Tech might may not be as good, I was wrong and it completed one of the closest shaves I've ever had.
These vintage razors are incredible and I am beginning to think that, as read elsewhere, the late 50's razors were the pinnacle of de razors, as well as a great time to be born!
Then this cased No 58 might be right up your alley ;)

SOTD – Sun 29 Oct 2023

SOTD-20231029-setup.png

Shave Report: Used a rounded quarter teaspoon scoop (about 1.8gm) of soap and slowly added 15ml of water to generate a lovely shiny, creamy, medium density lather. The lather gave me excellent slickness & protection, residual dried a bit and needed a wet hand, post shave feel was great. To me the scent is a well blended warm slightly sweet (tonka, oudy and powdery) cologne type aroma with lots of underlying tones, scent strength 5/10. Another wonderful clean DFS from the Hawk, the Kai on 10th use was a little tuggy so time to bin it.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Yaqi “Glacier” with 24/52 2Band Badger
  • Soap: Soap Commander - Embark
  • Bowl: Yaqi Black ABS “Duke”
  • Razor: RazoRock AL Hawk V2 SE (AC blades)
  • Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild AC (10)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Malizia UOMO Vetyver AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Hydrate Cream [A]
[A] = Australian Product

@Gargravarr This website is where I learnt of the Asano rating for Nagura, he explains it pretty well. In the end, it's just a progression from coarse to fine like every other system. One of the more expert exponents here like @bald as might chip in...
Thanks, that's exactly the information I was after. Not that I'm likely ever to need it now, but it was a gap in my knowledge that has been bothering me for a while. (y)

H- SOTD 30.10.23

IMG-6905.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot flannel
Brush:- Grizzly Bay w/ Fanchurian knot
Soap: B&M - Seville
Razor: Gold Dollar 66 (+ leaf)
Moisturiser: Crew - Facebalm (+SPF 15)

Gold dollar 66 on loan from @Rbsceu beautifully finished in wattle scales. Lightly stopped on a Titan leather strop.

Second head shave with the SR.

Just as slow as the first shave but certainly more comfortable. Made a wetter than usual lather that helped. Experimented with slightly longer strokes once I was happy with the blade angle. Felt confident enough to also do about 50% of the back of my head too. Tbh - it was really relaxing as it was all done by feel. One little cut - on the top of my ear lobe - wasn’t paying attention when I was moving the razor.

Am off to Perth for 2 weeks with work. Have packed the SR so will get a few more weeks of shaving in before returning it. Then will transition over to the 1923 Bengal that I was fortunate enough to inherit in the PIF.

Keep looking at the Titan razors. Really love the blocky shape. Can see this SR malarky potentially being an expensive journey.

Looking forwards to the next shave!!

C

Does anyone have “Moonsoaps - Old Skool” that would be prepared to send me a sample? Happy to return toe favour and send some samples back in return.

Alternatively - anyone know an Aussie supplier that stocks the full Moonsoaps range?

Then this cased No 58 might be right up your alley ;)

@alfredus I might just be bidding on this one, might curb the RAD for a little while

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue Special Edition 2013 Silvertip 24/48mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat (tallow)
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / NOS English Wilky #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac 'Craftsman' Natural Spray EDT

A quick 2 pass WTG morning shave
xdb7UJX.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Vie-Long 14025 Mix Badger and Horse Hair
Soap:- GEO.F.Trumper's - Spanish Leather
Razor:- Tatara Masamune - Nodachi
Blade:- Treet Platinum (1)
Aftershave:- APR&NO - TEXAUS

PXL-20230421-222113905-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, APR Lavande Violette AS - Thanks @Mark1966
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

This soap is down to a lump about the size of a 20 cent coin, so rather than prolonging its demise, I've been using it as a SOTW. Just enjoying it. When it's gone, it's gone. Probably good for a couple of weeks though. I could predict more scientifically of course by weighing and then re-weighing after loading, but why bother? :smuggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.