Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't sound too outrageous. When I was plying my craft as a blacksmith, I wouldn't have charged much less for my work, perhaps more if unusual materials (eg Damascus) were involved. (At least when I leaned not to undercharge. That was a hard, but necessary lesson.) But I agree, it makes better sense to restore old razors that you've been able to score at lower cost.
Yes, but that is, in my mind, a different ballgame. I am more than happy to fork out that amount for a custom razor, I actually have. I don't know if I've shown it around here, but I have a canister Damascus, oriental grind Drew Dick kamisori that cost me a bit less than that. I just wouldn't do it for a razor that is that expensive due only to the bit of price bubble we seem to have gotten into.

wtngBV2.png

RAZOR: Gillette '40s Brit Flat Bottom Tech RR Titanium HALO handle
BLADE: NOS Wilkinson Sword made in England
BRUSH: Elite Razor Orange over Irish Bog Oak 28mm Boar
LATHER: Declaration Grooming Yuzu Rose Patchouli Shave Soap
POST: Declaration Grooming Yuzu Rose Patchouli Aftershave

Yes, but that is, in my mind, a different ballgame. I am more than happy to fork out that amount for a custom razor, I actually have. I don't know if I've shown it around here, but I have a canister Damascus, oriental grind Drew Dick kamisori that cost me a bit less than that. I just wouldn't do it for a razor that is that expensive due only to the bit of price bubble we seem to have gotten into.
Fair enough. To be truthful, I never made more than the one razor, a Western kamisori in Damascus (a pedantic pet-hate misnomer: true Damascus was a crucible steel, this stuff was more accurately pattern-welded). I used that, along with a cheapie Gold Dollar Spanish point back in the days when I only shaved my face. I never liked the idea of dancing a tarantella to shave my head, so I went back to safety razors. I haven't seen my blade in years, and I harbour dark suspicions of our removalists between Perth/Adelaide or Adelaide/Hobart.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (tallow)
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Lite SB Polished / Gillette Yellow #10
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

WR2 1.25
Nacet
Troy Craft 28mm SHD Lotus Tip 2-Band Badger
B&M Cheshire soap and splash

First run on the new brush was impressive. The brush gave a very luxurious feel on the face while lathering, like an extremely soft pillow with plenty of backbone. Took a bit more soap than my synthetics but once loaded it lathered beautifully. The brush also felt great in the hand but what set this apart from other brushes is the amazingly soft feel when face lathering.

52722351134_80693448b1_h.jpg

52721566472_8be8a74e1b_c.jpg

PXL-20230301-053629288-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Thayer's witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, O&C cologne
COTD: Mocha Java: Mocha Ismaili (Yemen), Kawah Ijen (Java)

Deflowered a virgin this morning. Puck of ancient Yardley, that is. This one doesn't have as much of its scent left as the last, but that's how they rolled this time. It still makes for a sublime shave.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger in Tall Resin Amber 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Sandalwood
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Lite SB Polished / Gillette Yellow #11 .... Finished
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

coeqyRa.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Kent BLK8 Silvertip Badger
Cream: Acqua Di Parma
Razor: Blutt WR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Platinum Royal (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Florida Water (Peruvian) Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Acqua Di Parma Colonia

An effortless, smooth and close three pass shave with this line-up.

coeqyRa.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Kent BLK8 Silvertip Badger
Cream: Acqua Di Parma
Razor: Blutt WR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Platinum Royal (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Florida Water (Peruvian) Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Acqua Di Parma Colonia

An effortless, smooth and close three pass shave with this line-up.
I used to have a Kent brush just like that (or at least very similar) back in the early '80s and loved it. Unfortunately some rectum half-inched it while I was living in a shared household in North London. They say the reason why the sun never set on the British Empire was because God couldn't trust an Englishman in the dark... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.