SYD Sydney Meetup - Saturday 11th February - 2pm - 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
20170211_141945.jpg

Great to hear and see you guys had such a fantastic time - well done @todras for organising it (y)

Great turn out! Glad everyone had a great time.

One question though? 30mm Platypus Brush? Is that a Typo?

Some of them might well be that out of the handle - they are pretty dense ;)

Thanks @todras and @Snooze for organising this meet! :)relax:) @todras your aftershaves are the bomb!!! :bigfan:
It was definitely a highlight to meet those I hadn't previously met.

If we pin down and date early then perhaps @Mark1966 could attempt to join in... (He's a good one and worth a beer or two.)

Mighty huge thanks to an unbelievable workmanship with the brushes @Tony Forsyth -and that packaging!!! What an effort! All were blown away with the quality and final result. :superb:

(And lastly a HUGE thanks to @Monsta_AU who drove BACK home in the heat to pick up the parcel of P&C brushes that he FORGOT to bring... )

Thanks mate !! and how could you @Monsta_AU ;)

lJoSDu2.jpg

Yes, Polsilvers courtesy of @borked that are mysteriously involved with an upcoming APR release, a tub of Queen Anne's
from the most incredibly generous, giving and cool @SydBJW who is a man of many soaps and of thoroughly enjoyable
conversation. I must also extend my thanks to @Monsta_AU, a thoroughly welcoming man and one of such generosity
(the french wilkies in the picture and the Gillettes) who narrowly escaped being lynched when he declared he had accidentally
forgotten the brushes...

I bought this lovely conservative and traditional, absolutely beautiful British Mason & Pearson brush from the roving supply & provision facility that is @borked,
really appreciate this mate and I will ensure I will repay you with a gesture of equal worth when I am able. @Rami kindly gave me a lovely old Simpson butterscotch,
it is a tiny thing and I intend on looking into having it restored - I will reciprocate you kind gesture at some future date too :)

I took a photo of @Snoozes golden Gillette toggle, but it did not turn out as expected which is a shame as it was a simply beautiful piece of history.

cpL10K8.jpg

This is my 26mm TF bulb, a wonderful brush that @Tony Forsyth made as a limited edition for the P&C community, in reality this brush should have
rightfully sold for around $250+ due to the level of skill required to make it, the limited nature of the materials, and the level of craftsmanship
required and demonstrated in effecting a handle and the case of this beauty and finish.

It is a modern piece, perhaps a little too modern for my tastes ;) and it is a brush I plan to keep unused in it's case to take out and appreciate on occasions.
I don't have any skill with my hands, certainly not that I could ever produce an object like this but I feel deeply privileged in a sense to have been
given the opportunity to own an object from a person that can, and does. My deep thanks to you @Tony Forsyth, I remain in awe of your skill mate.

The deeply genuine and openly giving reciprocal generosity that occurs on P&C between community members was apparent today, the senior
and founding members of the community were very welcoming and approachable with their wealth of knowledge and 'fantastic level of acquisitions'.

It made for a very enjoyable and relaxed afternoon and the opportunity to engage in real, face to face discussion about this hobby we enjoy so much and to
really meet and get to know people beyond the keyboard, I am already very much looking forward to the next meeting.

I'm going to decompress tonight, catch up on APR orders via the website, dabble with some fragrances, take a malt or two and relax. As I mentioned to a couple of people at the meetup,
I am in the middle of having the APR logo and product artwork completely redesigned by Larry Ellis of Chatillon Lux and L&L Grooming fame in time for the Mid March APR Autumn/Winter releases.

The Next Sydney Meetup: @Snooze and I will announce the next Sydney meetup in the coming days, we are looking at a number of options in this regard and you will have our decision as soon as is practicable.

Thanks guys again, this is a great community and I am glad to be a part of it :)

lJoSDu2.jpg

Yes, Polsilvers courtesy of @borked that are mysteriously involved with an upcoming APR release, a tub of Queen Anne's
from the most incredibly generous, giving and cool @SydBJW who is a man of many soaps and of thoroughly enjoyable
conversation. I must also extend my thanks to @Monsta_AU, a thoroughly welcoming man and one of such generosity
(the french wilkies in the picture and the Gillettes) who narrowly escaped being lynched when he declared he had accidentally
forgotten the brushes...

I bought this lovely conservative and traditional, absolutely beautiful British Mason & Pearson brush from the roving supply & provision facility that is @borked,
really appreciate this mate and I will ensure I will repay you with a gesture of equal worth when I am able. @Rami kindly gave me a lovely old Simpson butterscotch,
it is a tiny thing and I intend on looking into having it restored - I will reciprocate you kind gesture at some future date too :)

I took a photo of @Snoozes golden Gillette toggle, but it did not turn out as expected which is a shame as it was a simply beautiful piece of history.

cpL10K8.jpg

This is my 26mm TF bulb, a wonderful brush that @Tony Forsyth made as a limited edition for the P&C community, in reality this brush should have
rightfully sold for around $250+ due to the level of skill required to make it, the limited nature of the materials, and the level of craftsmanship
required and demonstrated in effecting a handle and the case of this beauty and finish.

It is a modern piece, perhaps a little too modern for my tastes ;) and it is a brush I plan to keep unused in it's case to take out and appreciate on occasions.
I don't have any skill with my hands, certainly not that I could ever produce an object like this but I feel deeply privileged in a sense to have been
given the opportunity to own an object from a person that can, and does. My deep thanks to you @Tony Forsyth, I remain in awe of your skill mate.

The deeply genuine and openly giving reciprocal generosity that occurs on P&C between community members was apparent today, the senior
and founding members of the community were very welcoming and approachable with their wealth of knowledge and 'fantastic level of acquisitions'.

It made for a very enjoyable and relaxed afternoon and the opportunity to engage in real, face to face discussion about this hobby we enjoy so much and to
really meet and get to know people beyond the keyboard, I am already very much looking forward to the next meeting.

I'm going to decompress tonight, catch up on APR orders via the website, dabble with some fragrances, take a malt or two and relax. As I mentioned to a couple of people at the meetup,
I am in the middle of having the APR logo and product artwork completely redesigned by Larry Ellis of Chatillon Lux and L&L Grooming fame in time for the Mid March APR Autumn/Winter releases.

The Next Sydney Meetup: @Snooze and I will announce the next Sydney meetup in the coming days, we are looking at a number of options in this regard and you will have our decision as soon as is practicable.

Thanks guys again, this is a great community and I am glad to be a part of it :)

Awesome write up mate, and thank you for your very positive comments on the Platypus, very much appreciated and you are very welcome.
Thanks
Tony

I must also extend my thanks to @Monsta_AU, a thoroughly welcoming man and one of such generosity
(the french wilkies in the picture and the Gillettes) who narrowly escaped being lynched when he declared he had accidentally forgotten the brushes...

It truly was a pleasure and I feel very bad that I was not only late but also had left the brushes at home. I needed to take the other half to a clothing swap afternoon in Alexandria and in the fluster of her not being able to carry the massive granny bag of accumulent from the wardrobe, I simply forgot to grab it walking out the door. Luckily I was able to go and grab them, and I had to leave a fresh beer to warm up while I was gone.....

The brushes are simply amazing and I certainly did not expect the display boxes which @Tony Forsyth came up with. Truly outstanding and I am humbled to see what was delivered for the money. Worth. Every. Cent. We will be doing other things in the coming months for all members, but the next brush will be a while.

What you have is the simply amazing La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre which feature in my SOTD regularly. I regularly push them to 10 shaves and often onto 12 depending how good my angle has been in the preceeding 10. Like all vintage blades, the angle needs to be spot on with zero pressure as they are damn sharp. The Gillettes go by a number of names here, generally Dark Platinum, but also Malteser as this stock originated for myself and another member from an eBay seller in Malta. If you buy them now, they will generally be a later batch than these but they are near identical.

Was also nice to meet @Snooze and @the_shaving_sailor briefly, I look forward to sitting down and having a better yarn with you fellas next time.

I don't have any skill with my hands, certainly not that I could ever produce an object like this but I feel deeply privileged in a sense to have been given the opportunity to own an object from a person that can, and does.
I am holding a bottle with an APR label on it which I would use as evidence to say that the above statement is absolutely bullshit. Monsta Myrtle is amazing, pretty much everything I was looking for. A few subtle changes and it might go very very far. I also let a few rather attractive women sniff at the remaining samples after the meet and while all loved the Monsta (as they do haha) the top pick was Suitably, and the next one down was surprisingly Pork Chop! That put a smile on my face.

We will catch up in between meets for sure, drams and all. We have things to talk about.

Last edited:
hbIV0p4.jpg

I came upon this picture I captured of @Snooze's fantastic example of a toggle, with a bit of 'post' trickery here it is.
The venue in which we were situated had fairly dim lighting, however the finer features of the piece are more than evident.

This is a very beautiful razor, far to small for my clumsy hands but I am grateful for having the opportunity to see it in
the flesh :)

hbIV0p4.jpg

I came upon this picture I captured of @Snooze's fantastic example of a toggle, with a bit of 'post' trickery here it is.
The venue in which we were situated had fairly dim lighting, however the finer features of the piece are more than evident.

This is a very beautiful razor, far to small for my clumsy hands but I am grateful for having the opportunity to see it in

Very nice!

hbIV0p4.jpg

That is very kind @todras - as I mentioned, great to break it out of its box and show it around!:D

Okay, on the chopping block from me today:
  • @Barrister & Mann Night Music. Soap & Splash, barely used. Asking $35 both.
  • Various Alpa Colognes. Really nice yet cheap. Again, want to spead these out at roughly what they cost me. $5/bottle.
Grumble grumble grumble ;)
A pity that I didn't know you had the Alpa there, would of advised @todras :)

RYZs0Pp.jpg

the unveiling of the LE P&C Platypus, a 30mm to the left and a 26mm bulb on the right

UIaC2ra.jpg

Some schmuck with his aftershave...

vLMGa5o.jpg

Without mentioning any names, a fair few Polsilvers changed hands too...

I had a great time, it was an absolute pleasure meeting all of you and I look forward to doing it again next month :)
30mm Platypus is a myth ;)
Said schmuck is a talented one.
Yeah, I noted the frequency of trades and giveaways of Polsilvers too, it's contagious :p

(And lastly a HUGE thanks to @Monsta_AU who drove BACK home in the heat to pick up the parcel of P&C brushes that he FORGOT to bring... )
...only because he knows I went to school, played soccer etc with the Sargent of the Public Order and Riot Squad :p

Definitely a typo there was no 30mm ;)
Exactly, there's NO such beast ;)

lJoSDu2.jpg

forgotten the brushes...

cpL10K8.jpg

Just glad it's found a loving home and able to pass on the savings to a fellow member.

It truly was a pleasure and I feel very bad that I was not only late but also had left the brushes at home. I needed to take the other half to a clothing swap afternoon in Alexandria and in the fluster of her not being able to carry the massive granny bag of accumulent from the wardrobe, I simply forgot to grab it walking out the door. Luckily I was able to go and grab them, and I had to leave a fresh beer to warm up while I was gone.....

The brushes are simply amazing and I certainly did not expect the display boxes which @Tony Forsyth came up with. Truly outstanding and I am humbled to see what was delivered for the money. Worth. Every. Cent. We will be doing other things in the coming months for all members, but the next brush will be a while.

What you have is the simply amazing La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre which feature in my SOTD regularly. I regularly push them to 10 shaves and often onto 12 depending how good my angle has been in the preceeding 10. Like all vintage blades, the angle needs to be spot on with zero pressure as they are damn sharp. The Gillettes go by a number of names here, generally Dark Platinum, but also Malteser as this stock originated for myself and another member from an eBay seller in Malta. If you buy them now, they will generally be a later batch than these but they are near identical.

Was also nice to meet @Snooze and @the_shaving_sailor briefly, I look forward to sitting down and having a better yarn with you fellas next time.

I am holding a bottle with an APR label on it which I would use as evidence to say that the above statement is absolutely bullshit. Monsta Myrtle is amazing, pretty much everything I was looking for. A few subtle changes and it might go very very far. I also let a few rather attractive women sniff at the remaining samples after the meet and while all loved the Monsta (as they do haha) the top pick was Suitably, and the next one down was surprisingly Pork Chop! That put a smile on my face.

We will catch up in between meets for sure, drams and all. We have things to talk about.
Indeed, those containers for the brushes the @Tony Forsyth has come up with, knocked it well out of the park!
A few rather attractive females after the meet hey?
Last I checked, there was you @SydBJW and I!
How many did you have mate? ;)

After that, had to pick Liv up from her clothing swap on the way home.
Ahh, way it was worded, it came across to me as if you were implying that!
Glad to hear you've still your senses about you :)

Was great to meet up with the new and old faces.

Can't wait to the next meet up

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.