Weekly Razor Review

SpeedyPC

Active Grasshopper
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Tatara Masamune OC (Portugal)

Both a SB and an OC plate were supplied with the Masamune kit so after such fantastic results with the solid bar version, this week I’m again expecting amazing results from the open comb Masamune. Details for the rest of the razor remain the same as that described last week. A very quick summary; this razor is a very well made instrument with every part machined precisely and the fit and finish is superb.

For a change of pace, I’ve upped the ante with the Masamune OC and chose a Feather blade to kick off proceedings. I don’t know exactly what I was expecting but I was rewarded with one superbly smooth shave, up with the smoothest shaves I’ve ever experienced. If there was a difference between the OC and SB plates efficiency wise I could not detect it, still in that Karve CB #C plate range. Finishing off the last two shaves with a Gillette Platinum made no difference to the Masamune, it took that blade in its stride too. Blade feel is minimal but that never interfered with the Tatara delivering a close shave. Being mid aggressive and very nimble this razor can be thrown around with confidence. I’ve made a grave mistake in not using this razor since I purchased it; this is one highly recommended razor.

Blades Used – Feather and Gillette Platinum

Material – 303 Stainless Steel – Sand blasted finished

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 86g

Head Width – 41.61mm

Handle Length – 86.9mm

Handle Diameter – 10.95mm

Availability - Tatara

Final Word – Very Rewarding

Errol

Razor Review Guru
@Mark1966 has done great job in providing an index for this rabble but one thing he has highlighted is how slack I've been in posting Errol's Top Shots. Anyhow this is my Top Shots as of today:

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Premium – RAW Shaving RS-10; Wolfman WR1 & WR2; Charcoal Goods Gen 1 & Gen 2; Seygus Zeppelin V2; Haircut and Shave NO75; Smart Helix Apollo & Apollo Light; Blackland Vector; Rocnel SE-50; Colonial General V2, Karve CB Stainless Steel, RazoRock Lupo, Tatara Masamune,

Classic Premium - Gillette Aristocrat 1951; Weber; Tradere Gen 2,

Really Good – Karve Christopher Bradley #D plate, brass; Blackland Dart; Ikon B1 slant; ATT Classic/ Windsor R1/ R2/ H1; Colonial General Stainless Steel V1; RazoRock Game Changer #.84 plate; Mongoose SS Gen 3;

Best Travel – Colonial General Stainless Steel Version 1

@Mark1966 has done great job in providing an index for this rabble but one thing he has highlighted is how slack I've been in posting Errol's Top Shots. Anyhow this is my Top Shots as of today:

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Premium – RAW Shaving RS-10; Wolfman WR1 & WR2; Charcoal Goods Gen 1 & Gen 2; Seygus Zeppelin V2; Haircut and Shave NO75; Smart Helix Apollo & Apollo Light; Blackland Vector; Rocnel SE-50; Colonial General V2, Karve CB Stainless Steel, RazoRock Lupo, Tatara Masamune,

Really Good – Karve Christopher Bradley #D plate, brass; Blackland Dart; Ikon B1 slant; ATT Classic/ Windsor R1/ R2/ H1; Colonial General Stainless Steel V1; RazoRock Game Changer #.84 plate; Mongoose SS Gen 3;

Hi Errol, just noticed I didn’t see a timeless listed at all have u reviewed one yet or do u not rate them?

Mark1966

...when the General talks
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Index now updated to include :)

Errol

Razor Review Guru
Seygus Zeppelin Titanium - 0.9 + 0.9mm (Spain)

When Jose from Seygus came back to me and offered to machine a 0.9 + 0.9mm titanium plate for the Zeppelin Ti, I had to debate long and hard if I wanted to risk the Zeppelin titanium 0.9 + 0.9mm plate because of the trouble I’d had with the 0.9 + 0.9mm plate on the stainless steel variant. For anyone unfamiliar with what I saying; when using the 0.9 + 0.9mm stainless steel variant, the razor was a very pleasant Karve CB level #D efficiency but would randomly remove sections of flesh. It wasn’t an easy decision but in the end I decided to try one because of my perceived theory about a lower efficiency level with the lighter titanium razors. Time will tell if I made a wise decision or not but at the end of the day if the Ti doesn’t work out there is no one forcing me to continue.

Seygus’s Zeppelin Titanium razors have not really lit a spark with the general shaving community and to be honest I’ve not seen them rate a mention anywhere but here and the Seygus website and even there its virtues are not being exploited. This is a very unusual occurrence because the release of a titanium razor usually sparks a large amount of interest and has the shaving community jumping with anticipation but not this time. Seygus use their unique cupped cap design for the Zeppelin Ti and offer a range of plates to satisfy most users with their preferred efficiency level. Many of the Seygus offered pates are dual efficiency but if you ask Seygus will machine a standard plate albeit flat on one edge and scalloped on the other. In use I have not been able to distinguish between the two different edges. Not being a big fan of dual efficiency plates I eventually ordered a 0.9 + 0.9mm plate to go with the 0.7 + 0.7mm plate I have previously reviewed. Everything about the Ti is first class, not a machine mark to be seen anywhere on the razor, fit is superb and the polished finish is exceptional. Just looking at a polished titanium razor is enough to smudge it; I was forever polishing off my clumsy finger prints.

I done my first stroke with the same zest I usually use with any razor and everything felt good so I carried on as though I didn’t know the Ti may bite. And I’ve got to say it didn’t put a foot wrong on the first shave or any other shave. Now I’m going to suggest that the efficiency level of this Zeppelin Ti is going to struggle to make Karve CB #C level; nowhere near the efficiency level #D of the stainless steel variant. No pressure was applied to the razor as I shaved, I just let it do its work and came away well rewarded. I don’t use titanium razors as much as I would like to so it took to the second shave to get accustomed to using the lighter weight. Once the lighter weight of the Ti becomes the normal it’s a magic razor to use. With that familiarization the smoothness improved to a point where it was considered to be good. There is no blade feel to speak of and this makes the Ti feel so very neutral. Every shave was close, not even a weeper so I have no hesitation in recommending the Seygus Zeppelin Ti 0.9 +0.9 mm to any perspective customer.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Feather

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 62g

Head Width – 43.44mm

Handle Length – 95mm

Handle Diameter – 12mm

Availability – Seygus

Final Word – Very good