Weekly Razor Review

Yaqi 2020 Classic – Stainless Steel Handle (China)

In a move that is unusual for me I made the conscious decision to purchase the Yaqi 2020 Classic razor knowing full well that it came with a zamak head. Yaqi’s Classic razor was reasonably priced but, in the end, it was the stainless steel handle that clinched the deal. Very much based on a WRH7 handle, it lacks the attention to detail in areas like the knurling which feels smooth and lacks that confidence inspiring grip of a real WRH7 handle. There will be some out there who are up with Yaqi speak and know what a SRH-04 head is. I don’t, but for me the parts of the head just don’t look like they have been engineered to mate together. They do fit, but in a very sloppy manner so I’ll be checking when I put a blade in and clamp everything down. The whole razor has been given a shiny, smoky chrome finish and does look very presentable, just don’t look at the detail.

It’s pleasing to report that the blades sat nice and square and that there was an even amount of blade visible on each side when the handle was clamped down. With an efficiency level around that of a Karve CB level #C the shave was smooth, not top shelf but the average punter would be well pleased. I had no complaints about how close the shave was, however in the true test, my wife suggested it wasn’t as close as some shaves I’ve had. After the first couple of shaves there was a small weeper to contend with, probably operator error because there is only a small amount of positive blade feel. For the price this razor performs well and would be a good choice for someone on the look out for a spare or backup razor.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock and Ladas
Material – Zamak head/ Stainless Steel handle
Blade Tab – Exposed
Weight – 93g
Head Width – 41.44mm
Handle Length – 91.12+mm
Handle Diameter – 12.24mm
Availability – Yaqi Australia
Final Word – Value for money

Is it just me or the camera angle - or is the blade not parallel to the cap and guard in this?

Is it just me or the camera angle - or is the blade not parallel to the cap and guard in this?

That blade does look to not be sitting square in the photo. I may not have had the handle screwed fully down either but when I shave with it, the blade sat square.

@ Errol for your top tier razors, you ever had to adjust the blade? I tend to just pop it in and don’t check at the alignment.

That blade does look to not be sitting square in the photo. I may not have had the handle screwed fully down either but when I shave with it, the blade sat square.

I know that sometimes the photos do lie too.

Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Brass Level #2 Plate - Victorian (USA)

I’ve said before that when I think of a Charcoal Goods razor, I immediately envisage a brass razor; for me there is just something about Charcoal Goods and brass. When Charcoal Goods released their Gen 2 razors in brass, they added two engraved caps that have been christened their Victorian range. One cap has a skull design engraved in the corner and the other has some fancy scroll patterns. Because the skull didn’t exactly get my juices flowing, I choose the cap with the scroll pattern and the matching Victorian handle to set the razor off; that’s the razor being reviewed this week, a Charcoal Goods Gen 2, Level #2 brass razor. Charcoal Goods advises that there is no real difference in performance between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 heads but where the changes are is in the machining methods. Manufacture of the Lv2 plates looks to involve far less machining and by using CNC machinery production is sped up, meaning more parts are machined and this is demonstrated by a higher level of stock availability on the Charcoal Goods inventory until recently. One negative of speeding up production as far as I’m concerned, is that Charcoal Goods Gen 2 heads are now featureless just like so many other razors out there. It’s fortunate that Charcoal Goods have maintained their visually inspiring and very usable range of handles but the handles themselves do not make the razor. As I write this review, I’ve been advised that the whole Charcoal Goods range of handles are to be discontinued and replaced with one common handle. Emmm? Gen 2’s are not the works of art the Gen 1 razors were so I cannot see myself putting any of my Gen 1’s up for sale at any time soon.

Before you ask; that engraving on the cap cannot be felt! Level #2’s in every Charcoal Goods I’ve previously experienced rate with the best shaves I’ve had so that explains why I was looking forward to this razor so much. This one certainly lived up to my expectations and with an efficiency level about Karve CB #D it’s super smooth in use and a pleasure to use. There is a pleasing amount of blade feel present on the Gen 2 and I find that little bit of blade feel easily produces the closest shave. Gen 2’s may have missed the individual attention to detail that the Gen 1’s received during machining but that never stopped the razor from performing; the Charcoal Goods Gen 2 level #2 never put a foot wrong.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow and Lord Super Chrome
Material – Billet Grade 360 Brass - Bright
Blade Tab – Slight protrusion
Weight – 106g
Head Width – 42.28mm
Handle Length – 88.72mm
Handle Diameter – 12.4mm
Availability – Charcoal Goods
Final Word – Simply Brilliant

... As I write this review, I’ve been advised that the whole Charcoal Goods range of handles are to be discontinued and replaced with one common handle. Emmm? ...

Yeah, just read the update on his website -

Upcoming Move - August/September 2020

• We're moving out-of-state around August. This will force a production shutdown as all of the CNC machines will need to be moved and currently there is no place to take them.
  • The website will continue to operate and ship orders for in-stock items after we move.
  • I'm discontinuing all current handle options and am designing a new, universal handle, to help reduce prices and simplify production.
  • After the move we're looking at a few ideas for continued business operations:

1. machines get sold or put in storage and production of one or two complete razors is out-sourced to local CNC job shop. (very likely)
  2. lease a light-industrial building, move current machines to new location, continue with business as usual. (somewhat likely)
  3. purchase existing CNC machine shop and convert equipment to manufacture razors. (not very likely)
Seems an interesting move when the handle designs were key to his success I think.

Anyway, you could just buy a vintage razor :)

Great review again @Errol

I’ve said before that when I think of a Charcoal Goods razor, I immediately envisage a brass razor; for me there is just something about Charcoal Goods and brass. When Charcoal Goods released their Gen 2 razors in brass, they added two engraved caps that have been christened their Victorian range. One cap has a skull design engraved in the corner and the other has some fancy scroll patterns. Because the skull didn’t exactly get my juices flowing, I choose the cap with the scroll pattern and the matching Victorian handle to set the razor off; that’s the razor being reviewed this week, a Charcoal Goods Gen 2, Level #2 brass razor. Charcoal Goods advises that there is no real difference in performance between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 heads but where the changes are is in the machining methods. Manufacture of the Lv2 plates looks to involve far less machining and by using CNC machinery production is sped up, meaning more parts are machined and this is demonstrated by a higher level of stock availability on the Charcoal Goods inventory until recently. One negative of speeding up production as far as I’m concerned, is that Charcoal Goods Gen 2 heads are now featureless just like so many other razors out there. It’s fortunate that Charcoal Goods have maintained their visually inspiring and very usable range of handles but the handles themselves do not make the razor. As I write this review, I’ve been advised that the whole Charcoal Goods range of handles are to be discontinued and replaced with one common handle. Emmm? Gen 2’s are not the works of art the Gen 1 razors were so I cannot see myself putting any of my Gen 1’s up for sale at any time soon.

Before you ask; that engraving on the cap cannot be felt! Level #2’s in every Charcoal Goods I’ve previously experienced rate with the best shaves I’ve had so that explains why I was looking forward to this razor so much. This one certainly lived up to my expectations and with an efficiency level about Karve CB #D it’s super smooth in use and a pleasure to use. There is a pleasing amount of blade feel present on the Gen 2 and I find that little bit of blade feel easily produces the closest shave. Gen 2’s may have missed the individual attention to detail that the Gen 1’s received during machining but that never stopped the razor from performing; the Charcoal Goods Gen 2 level #2 never put a foot wrong.

Weight – 106g
Head Width – 42.28mm
Handle Length – 88.72mm
Handle Diameter – 12.4mm

Errol. I always appreciate your time and effort placed in the comprehensive reviews.
I always enjoy using my CG Gen 2 level 2 razor. Its a top-shelf tool that performs effortlessly. (y)

Weight – 106g
Head Width – 42.28mm
Handle Length – 88.72mm
Handle Diameter – 12.4mm
I don't need another razor.... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: the Charcoal Goods is on my RAD shopping list :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Gee...lucky that @StratMan and me are going on a sabbatical soon (ahhahahahahaha).
TqktbuE.gif

I don't need another razor.... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: the Charcoal Goods is on my RAD shopping list :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
+1 in large part to what @Mark1966 mentioned - the variety of unique handle designs separating CGs from the competition. The SS range just doesn't do it for me and not so sure about copper as its a softer metal...?

Weight – 106g
Head Width – 42.28mm
Handle Length – 88.72mm
Handle Diameter – 12.4mm

Another fabulous review and kicking myself for not jumping on this earlier as the AUD has since tanked due to COVID-19 and echoing what @Mark1966 stated below has me puzzled as the biggest appeal for me is the different designs and handle types - especially the Magnum/Hammered type?! Whenever I see the SS version it kinda reminds me of the Blackland Dart with a fancier handle and smoother shave??? :unsure:

Arrrrrrrrgh! No full copper or brass razors available and maybe not going to be manufactured the same again! Maybe a missed opportunity.:cry:
But on the bright side, maybe saved me a few hundred dollars.:)
Mrs Pbgoose saw me scrambling for the Charcoal Goods website and liked the copper anchor handle, giving me the green light for purchase. But alas, only handles and no base plates or top plates.:banghead:

Arrrrrrrrgh! No full copper or brass razors available and maybe not going to be manufactured the same again! Maybe a missed opportunity.:cry:
But on the bright side, maybe saved me a few hundred dollars.:)
Mrs Pbgoose saw me scrambling for the Charcoal Goods website and liked the copper anchor handle, giving me the green light for purchase. But alas, only handles and no base plates or top plates.:banghead:

So no purchasing the handle and getting a base plate and top plate later?

Enabler!!!!

Hmm......thinking........

I would prefer to buy a full razor. Do you get the impression the copper and brass plates may not be available later?

No idea, mind reading powers suspended at the moment :)