Weekly Razor Review

Another lovely read about the legacy of The Darwin Razors. Top stuff Errol, normally the Deluxe would follow the standard but with the use of materials Darwin reversed the titling of their models. It just struck me, the company behind the Darwins maybe Brit, but with Errol unraveling the history and magic of these Razors on this forum and going by the name of the Razor, this should be a totally AUSSIE product.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Another lovely read about the legacy of The Darwin Razors. Top stuff Errol, normally the Deluxe would follow the standard but with the use of materials Darwin reversed the titling of their models. It just struck me, the company behind the Darwins maybe Brit, but with Errol unraveling the history and magic of these Razors on this forum and going by the name of the Razor, this should be a totally AUSSIE product.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ah, but don't forget Sir Charles was a Brit... ;)

Still, I too have been interested to read these reviews of a truly (to use an already much-overused word) iconic series of razors. (y)

Ah, but don't forget Sir Charles was a Brit... ;)

Still, I too have been interested to read these reviews of a truly (to use an already much-overused word) iconic series of razors. (y)
True, True my Friend. You're right that these Darwin reviews are kinda nostalgic. Errol has to be blamed for getting everyone interested in embarking on a hunt for these rarities every now and then. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wolfman WR4 0.60 Ti OC – Darwin Handle (Canada)

I knew just how good the WR4 is with a 0.70 plate fitted so I decided to go down a notch in efficiency when I was thinking about a titanium version of the WR4 and ticked the 0.60 plate, might as well try the OC version as well. As with the stainless steel version there is simply no excess metal in the head, every part has been pared down to the minimum. Elongated blade posts marry into shallow grooves in the plate and in the true tradition of an open combed Wolfman, the teeth length is quite short with a lovely smooth profile. Combine this with the Wolfman Darwin handle, which is by its very design, the lightest handle in the Wolfman range, and then machine everything out of titanium and I have one feather weight SE razor. There is no prize for determining that I chose the satin finish. Wolfman has the field covered when it comes to finishes, theirs are the best in the business.

Using this Wolfman WR4 again justified that my selection of a WR4 as the Razor of The Year for 2023 was the appropriate choice. Efficiency of the 0.60 OC WR4 was around the Karve CB level #D and a pleasant amount of blade feel produced very comfortable shaves. Wolfman have made an art form of being able to achieve comparable results from various sized plates; based on the results of the two WR4’s I used it appears that they have done it again with their WR4 range. If I really concentrated and went looking for it, I could just discern the teeth of the open comb but in reality, not worth mentioning. This is another great razor in the Wolfman range.

Blades Used – Kai Titan Mild and Feather Professional

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Weight – 42g

Blade Tab – Covered

Head Width – 50.82mm

Handle Length – 89.8mm

Handle Diameter – Wolfman’s Darwin style

Availability – Wolfman

Final Word – Simply delightful

Thank you @Errol for another great review. I usually use a SR as I have quite a collection and find them very comfortable. However, on occasion and when travelling I use a DE or Injector. A lot of your reviews as well as others always compare these DE's and SE's to a Karve "D". I like a mild razor and I normally obtain a three-pass BBS with a Fatboy on "3", a Gillette post-war Tech, or a Schick M Adjustable Injector on "2". Using your best guess, what would that be equal to on a Karve?

Thank you @Errol for another great review. I usually use a SR as I have quite a collection and find them very comfortable. However, on occasion and when travelling I use a DE or Injector. A lot of your reviews as well as others always compare these DE's and SE's to a Karve "D". I like a mild razor and I normally obtain a three-pass BBS with a Fatboy on "3", a Gillette post-war Tech, or a Schick M Adjustable Injector on "2". Using your best guess, what would that be equal to on a Karve?
Based on the Fatboy set at level #3, I’m going to say in the Karve CB level #B/ #C range.

What a luxury to be able to travel and take only one razor. I’ve just returned from a 10 day fly/ drive trip and had 5 razors with me. One, I was part through the review, the next razor was in line for a review, a spare in case the second razor was a dud and two recently received razors to photograph. If I had the luxury of taking only one razor with me, it wound be the first generation Colonial General. It is the only razor I’ve used where the blade can be flipped after use and it is completely enclosed between the cap and the plate, safe as a house. Ah, and it’s an exceptional razor.

Well done @Errol, you've gone and made me change my mind about my choice of finish. :LOL: Satin it is. (y)

My name seems to have popped out of the end of their waitlist, but Tara says it may be a week or two before she issues an invoice.

@Errol, I new that all roads would lead back to the Wolfman soon. WHERE THERE'S A WOLF, THERE'S A WAY.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Efficiency of the 0.60 OC WR4 was around the Karve CB level #D and a pleasant amount of blade feel produced very comfortable shaves. - This is absolute gold.

Lovey review and you weaved that very smoothly into the Darwin Series, you certainly are telling the tale here. Loved it.

Shield Razor Stand (China)

During my Army days, my razor was always thrown into my wet pack till it was required the next day, rattling around with all the paraphernalia that happened to be in there. Remove the blade, forget that, it will be good enough to scratch out the next shave and it always did. When I came back to wet shaving, I purchased a razor stand that was combined with a shave bowl and shave brush. I’ve long given up using the shave brush and the bowl, so they sit there as an ornament. Enter the Shield razor stand; a well thought out design, simple, impressive looks, titanium, and can securely accommodate razors with handles around 15mm dia; that should meet most requirements. Rounded ends like on the Darwin and razors such as the Vestige with its cone shape handle end stayed precisely where put, that’s what it was designed to do.

Its base plate is a solid piece and while this one is machined from titanium, there was never a thought that the weight of a brass or stainless steel razor would topple the stand over. Two uprights at the rear of the base plate support a horse shoe shaped top plate. Razors stand on their handle ends and are angled backwards to rest in the top plate cutout. Don’t like titanium? There are also brass and stainless steel versions available. I’m impressed.

@Errol, I remember seeing the design of the prototype on the Shield Aliexpress page and I was intrigued as to how it would work. It is a unique design and awesome to read your review of it. I think it looks super with the Titanium Razor resting on it. That's one more unique shaving accessory covered, top stuff my friend.

Shield Razor Stand (China)

During my Army days, my razor was always thrown into my wet pack till it was required the next day, rattling around with all the paraphernalia that happened to be in there. Remove the blade, forget that, it will be good enough to scratch out the next shave and it always did. When I came back to wet shaving, I purchased a razor stand that was combined with a shave bowl and shave brush. I’ve long given up using the shave brush and the bowl, so they sit there as an ornament. Enter the Shield razor stand; a well thought out design, simple, impressive looks, titanium, and can securely accommodate razors with handles around 15mm dia; that should meet most requirements. Rounded ends like on the Darwin and razors such as the Vestige with its cone shape handle end stayed precisely where put, that’s what it was designed to do.

Its base plate is a solid piece and while this one is machined from titanium, there was never a thought that the weight of a brass or stainless steel razor would topple the stand over. Two uprights at the rear of the base plate support a horse shoe shaped top plate. Razors stand on their handle ends and are angled backwards to rest in the top plate cutout. Don’t like titanium? There are also brass and stainless steel versions available. I’m impressed.
@Errol as you said in one of your reviews; Shield are a cut above other Chinese razor producers; I have that particular stand, having read on another forum as “suitable” for Kamisori’s, so one holds my Iwasaki. I have another one on order with a Gem razor (never tried one) in Titanium so 🤞
Cheers for your reviews 👍

Rocnel Elite Brass 2024 (Turkey)

A Rocnel Elite in brass, I’ll have one of those but a review of it was never planned. I was midway through the review on the Rocnel Ti Elit when I decided to photograph the brass Elite and pack it away. I’d never had the Elite brass out of its sealed bag so the first aspect to spark my attention was the grip on the handle, exceptional. If the blade I use for photos had sat on the blade posts without being squeezed on, that would have been it, the Elite brass would have been packed away. Back to the old days of Feather blades for Rocnel, I’d better check this razor further. Other observed changes include the ends of the head being squared off, the external appearance of the cap now mimics that fitted to YPM, The Winner with that shave angle dictating shape and the face engaging surface of the plate is smooth. Brass is not generally seen in Rocnel production and with a machined finish and no engraving, there’s another surprise. Machining the Elite in brass has swung its weight back into the overweight range of the stainless steel versions - 125g. There is a hole in the end of the handle, but it is a small diameter and does not go completely through, there are numerous areas where Jenny Craige could weave her magic over this razor.

As expected, the Feather blade slipped straight over the blade posts, where’s that list of blades that can be used in an earlier Rocnel razors:

“Please Note: The Rocnel razor is designed to be used with Feather Hi-Stainless DE blades. That said, the following blades also fit perfectly: Ladas, Voskhod, Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks, Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, Rapira Super Stainless, Viking's Sword and Derby Extra.”

I dislike razors where flats on the cap dictate the shave angle. As previously mentioned, the Brass Elite has them, so I was expecting to be annoyed by the edge on the cap pivoting the blade away from face contact. It never happened on the first shave, the second shave or any other shave; Rocnel have got the angle right for me. Other than the obvious weight difference, the Elite shaved very similar to the Elit Ti I reviewed last week. Karve CB Level #C efficiency and smooth as silk. That machined knurling on the handle deserves special mention, it looks fantastic, and the provided grip is as good as will be found on any razor. The Rocnel Elite Brass is economical, and it will introduce new customers to the Rocnel brand and to wet shaving. If that is the case the Elite Brass is a total success.

Blades Used – Feather and Ladas

Material – Brass

Weight – 124.9g

Blade Tab - Exposed

Head Width – 41.93mm

Handle Length – 86mm (effective length)

Handle Diameter – 13.73mm

Availability – Rocnel

Final Word – Ideal for first up razor

Thanks for the great review of the brass Elite.

I have only two Rocnel razors, the 2021 Sailor Master Collection adjustable, and the newer brass Elite. The Elite is one of my very favorite DE razors for all the reasons you mention.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Stando Prowe SE (Poland)

Stando’s Prowe is a chunky piece of razor that has been designed around, and uses ½ DE blades. While the plate could do with some slimming, it‘s the handle where most of the weight sits; 10mm from the length and a hole up the centre of the handle would work wonders. As expected of a Stando product, the machining is first class and the finish is bead blasted. When I received the razor there were blotches in the finish and you don’t have to look too hard in the photo to see them; no doubt anyone who uses the razor regularly would quickly wear the blotches away, but my four shaves did little rid the finish of them. The ½ blade is located using four pins on the cap for reference, simple and so effective. Corresponding holes in the plate are drilled completely through but there is ample thickness in the plate to providing blind holes had Stando decided to go down that path. Two lather clearing channels are provided and the back of the plate is engraved with the razor’s details including country of origin, make, model and a serial number.

Straight up, the Prowse impressed with just how smooth the shave was that it delivered. Its efficiency was around that of a Karve CB with a #C plate fitted; my whiskers were outmatched and were simply wiped away by the little Stando. I was half expecting the whiskers to reappear soon after the shave finished, but it delivered a long lasting shave. This is an exceptional razor as the results demonstrate but it can be seen a mile away that the question will be asked ‘why use a razor where the DE blade has to be broken in half?’ Simple answer ‘the DE blade will not fit’. If breaking a blade into two pieces is the hardest thing I do today to achieve a great shave, I’ve had a bloody good day. Putting the Prowe on a weight loss program would work wonders but as it was, I cannot compliment the Stando enough.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Leaf

Material – Brass

Weight – 109g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 43.97mm

Handle Length – 94.57mm

Handle Diameter – 12.04mm

Availability – Stando

Final Word – Smooth operator

@Errol, I remember getting my first Stando Razor,the Chors and what a joy it was to use it. The Design was simple but the machining seemed spot on. It remains one of my Top Three Razors and one that I can depend on when I'm undecided on which Razor to pick up. I was so impressed with Stanilslaw's work that I ordered three Handles from him as well. Those handles are perfect in length and weight and for me personally, way better than a lot of the big boy Razor handles. The best part is that they cost a fraction of what the Big brands do. Yet Stanlslaw remains humble when praised and is always ready to help with advice on what suits you best.

The Stando Prowe SE is a tough looking tool and seems rugged, I always wondered what the shave quality was like. Fabulous Review as always Errol, thanks to you I got hooked on to AC offerings like the Shield Avenger and the Colonal General V2 and here we go again with you igniting the temptation for a half DE blade Razor.