What base plate for Karve Christopher Bradley

Razor arrived yesterday.

Unfortunately there is some marking on the top cap that looks to be something wrong with the finishing.
I remember that @Cris had some black marks on his so I tried to wash and buff these out but it looks like they aren't coming out.

Not sure yet if it's worthwhile doing anything about.

Other than that I had my first head shave with it this morning with the D plate and a brand new Polsilver.

So far it was as smooth as plate 6 on my Rockwell and it got me closer than plate 6 does normally.
One thing I will say though is that the angle is definitely different, to the point where I would say I'm still getting used to it.
Not uncomfortable, just different enough from the Rockwell that I'm having to constantly think about it and tweak as I go.

Will give more thoughts once I've had a few more shaves.

Razor arrived yesterday.

Unfortunately there is some marking on the top cap that looks to be something wrong with the finishing.
I remember that @Cris had some black marks on his so I tried to wash and buff these out but it looks like they aren't coming out.

Other than that I had my first head shave with it this morning with the D plate and a brand new Polsilver.

So far it was as smooth as plate 6 on my Rockwell and it got me closer than plate 6 does normally.
One thing I will say though is that the angle is definitely different, to the point where I would say I'm still getting used to it.
Not uncomfortable, just different enough from the Rockwell that I'm having to constantly think about it and tweak as I go.

Personally I would get it sorted out. Nothing worse than spending good money for something to be sub par IMO.

Razor arrived yesterday.

Post a pic and some here may be able to advise on whether you can fix it.

I was ordering from Chris and asked.

Got this response

I was actually just talking to someone else about the stains...I've had a couple of reports and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I can tell you that it's not from my end; the last time human hands touch the razor is before the parts are bead blasted, which removes everything. And when I put them into a sealed baggie for a week, nothing forms. I think the issue is coming from the airplane ride...water droplets form on the razor and they sit there and start to force the patina.

I recently started using silca packets, but it looks like that's not cutting it. I'm getting to the point where I might be sealing the razor to keep the patina from starting until the customer receives it.

Anyways, to get rid of it, I find that CLR and Brasso both work well. If you use the Brasso, go easy on the polishing...if you rub too hard, you will start to take down the bead blasted finish. In both cases, make sure you wash the parts throughout otherwise you might transfer the chemical to you face, which you don't want.

Hope it helps.

Ps. I didn’t ask about returns but what I would do to take care of it.

I was ordering from Chris and asked.

Got this response

I was actually just talking to someone else about the stains...I've had a couple of reports and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I can tell you that it's not from my end; the last time human hands touch the razor is before the parts are bead blasted, which removes everything. And when I put them into a sealed baggie for a week, nothing forms. I think the issue is coming from the airplane ride...water droplets form on the razor and they sit there and start to force the patina.

I recently started using silca packets, but it looks like that's not cutting it. I'm getting to the point where I might be sealing the razor to keep the patina from starting until the customer receives it.

Anyways, to get rid of it, I find that CLR and Brasso both work well. If you use the Brasso, go easy on the polishing...if you rub too hard, you will start to take down the bead blasted finish. In both cases, make sure you wash the parts throughout otherwise you might transfer the chemical to you face, which you don't want.

Hope it helps.

Ps. I didn’t ask about returns but what I would do to take care of it.
If the airplane issue was the cause I would expect that we would be seeing the same issue from other manufacturers who make brass razors.....

If the airplane issue was the cause I would expect that we would be seeing the same issue from other manufacturers who make brass razors.....

Well, it’s more likely packing and humidity at point of origin related. Vacuum sealing would likely address concerns.

Unfortunately it seems as though what is on my top cap isn't discolouration or patina but rather some sort of scratch on the finish.
Will upload pics later when I'm home.

Unfortunately it seems as though what is on my top cap isn't discolouration or patina but rather some sort of scratch on the finish.
Will upload pics later when I'm home.
Hmm. I would suggest to get back to the dude and see what he says.

Again, there are other manufacturers of brass razors (some are also located in Canada) who do not have issues with blemishes due to shipping their razors
That is true, but the thing is, the issue may not have manifested itself when he handles the razor but over the time it’s been shipped. I would take him on face value and see whether his solution works. Could be his local post office is a branch of Australia post :ROFLMAO:

Razor arrived yesterday.

Sorry to hear about the markings on the top cap but I guess karve will correct it for you. They seem like good people.

So you used the Rockwell R6 as your regular setting?

I'm still confused between the C and D plates but I guess I'm leaning towards the C plate as I use R4 daily but wouldn't mind more efficiency but with the same smoothness/lack of blade feel.

vCfDpzUl.jpg

I had trouble getting a high quality image that focused on the right area.

If you look on the top right hand corner of the top cap you should be able to see the marks I'm talking about.

6UKGpxph.jpg

Here is a better picture of the marks.

I emailed Karve this morning and within literally 5 minutes had a response back.
He couldn't tell exactly what it was from the crappy pic I sent but assured me that if it was a scratch or imperfection with the finish that he would make it right.

I also had my first face shave with this bad boy this morning.
Couldn't believe how smooth it was. D plate with a polsilver on the second use and it was even more buttery than my 6S on plate 6.
One thing I noticed is that the CB top cap seems to glide along my skin just a touch easier than the 6S and it's noticeably smoother for me because of it.
It also felt like a slightly closer shave than I have been getting out of the 6S.

Very pleased so far!

Man everyone seems to go for the higher plates. I can't find many comparisons for the lower end plates. I must be the only person with princess skin.

Anyone have any experience (or read anything about) the A plate?

I use a Rockwell on 4 or 3 every second day. I can use plate 2 every day but it for not give the closest shave. I was thinking of going plate C and A or B

I ordered the c and b then went for the d yesterday. I figured if I don’t like it I can easily sell it here at no loss. Same price shipping.

So just heard back from Cris about the top cap and he confirmed that it looks like a scratch.
He will be sending me a top cap to replace it and let me keep the scratched one as well.
He also said he will be looking at his process to see how that could have happened.

I know he has been getting some flack for his customer service lately but the way and the time frame that he dealt with this has been nothing but top notch.

vCfDpzUl.jpg

I had trouble getting a high quality image that focused on the right area.

If you look on the top right hand corner of the top cap you should be able to see the marks I'm talking about.

I gotta say to start that Chris sugesting you start polishing buffing a brand new razor is ludricous and water damage really i can't in any Razor I have bought that has had to get to me via a plane has a rrived in an other condition other than perfect. It's good he recognises it's a scratch now in your case but I would no think that should be put down to transporting it as it would have been wrapped and boxed, so it would be at the point of manufacturing and in your case a slip on quality control it seems maybe the answer.