What base plate for Karve Christopher Bradley

lerenau

...is a cheeky monkey
2018 Charity Auction Winner
I think my 60 year old Fat Boy will outlive me just quietly....
Agreed. Those suckers gentlemen are built extremely well in spite of the complexity involved. Whoever designed+built them was some kind of genius. It has taken 60 years and significant use of CAM to even come close to the original quality in adjustibles.

That said, I haven't tried a Variant or Progress yet. So, maybe I need to knock 10 years off that estimate. Still amazing, though.

Razor Burn

Grand Society
Da Menth Heads
How does the D plate compare to the R41 or Timeless Bronze OC?
IMHO I'd say it's on par for aggression with the R41 but smoother and less blade feel than the Bronze OC - still enough to bite but once you perfect the angle it really shaves well. I was after a more eficient shave than the 6S on R6 plate and it offers that but YMMV and I'm aware you like them aggressive so D plate would suit you :)

Kaeckerut

Grand Society
IMHO I'd say it's on par for aggression with the R41 but smoother and less blade feel than the Bronze OC - still enough to bite but once you perfect the angle it really shaves well. I was after a more eficient shave than the 6S on R6 plate and it offers that but YMMV and I'm aware you like them aggressive so D plate would suit you :)
Thanks @Razor Burn . The R41 is still currently my favourite and it sounds like the D plate would be about right. E and F now just sound scary.

Razor Burn

Grand Society
Da Menth Heads
Update - really haven’t used much else apart from the B plate of late. Getting very good daily shaves from it now, very close and comfortable. Still not in love with the brass and I may get it cerakoted (if that’s a word).
Yeah the brass looks off putting so I was planning on polishing mine as some of the pic's I've seen look amazing.
Thanks @Razor Burn . The R41 is still currently my favourite and it sounds like the D plate would be about right. E and F now just sound scary.
Yeah I used to fear the R41 but since I've tamed it I manage to get great shaves out of it. For me the Bronze OC offers a close shave but is more suited to a few days growth as I don't particularly enjoy the blade feel on my face as a daily shaver. The Karve D plate really shaves close as in my two shaves I was left with minor nicks so if you're not careful it will bite but no irritation which is great. Only dislike is the blade over hang which is a tad extreme for my liking but really worth the hype. :)

I had it all worked out that I would start on #C plate but when I opened the razor the #D plate was attached so what the heck I'll give it a run. Simply superb. Never got to the #C plate. Like some of the other posts, I agree that the blade overhang is just a little too much, maybe feeling worse by the cut out on the ends of the cap.

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
Gotten the razor this week. Had a quick shave yesterday.

Not really hype. Went with c blade and had a very good shave. Guess a few razors are going to hit bst.

I’m thinking of getting a CB. Currently use a Muhle R89. Any idea which plate would be a touch more efficient?

Then there’s handle length. Given the hefty weight of the brass, the 3” might be unbalanced. So I’m guessing the 3.5” is the goldilocks.

(Pic taken from Karve instagram)

I’m thinking of getting a CB. Currently use a Muhle R89. Any idea which plate would be a touch more efficient?

Then there’s handle length. Given the hefty weight of the brass, the 3” might be unbalanced. So I’m guessing the 3.5” is the goldilocks.

(Pic taken from Karve instagram)

I think the #C plate would be very close to your requirement. Should give you a little bit more efficiency and be considerably smoother.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I find the A plate to be more aggressive then R4 on the Rockwell and the EJ DE89.

You are right about the 3 inch handle though. It's a little to short and feels a tad unbalanced. Wish I got the 3.5 inch

SpeedyPC

Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
Get the D base plate with 3.5” handle, the D base plate is absolutely fantastic smooth as a
while shaving and I find the D base plate is a lot smoother and more efficiency shave using the Rockwell R1 to R6 and also the Muhle R41.

@LukehGee looking at your posts on shave-of-the-day and notice that you alternate between A-plate and C-plate but no mention of a B-plate. Is the reason that the incrimental change too minor to be noticeable?

@LukehGee looking at your posts on shave-of-the-day and notice that you alternate between A-plate and C-plate but no mention of a B-plate. Is the reason that the incrimental change too minor to be noticeable?
I was to poor/tight to buy 3 plates lol. But yeah that was the reasoning of my purchase decision, I was thinking the B might of been to close to both. With hind sight the B probably would of been the perfect daily driver for me.