August 2021 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had this bright idea of looking for something that would make a good razor stand that wasn’t originally geared towards it. I personally don’t like the stands which hold razors by the head. Trawling Etsy I came across a pretty good substitute. Propagation stations. Essentially wooden blocks or racks holding test tubes for sprouting seeds.

I got in touch with a seller who let me customise. I underestimated the height. It’s a fairly hefty block of pine so with razors in and under my bathroom cupboard I can’t pull any razor out so it’s off to the side. Holes are all 16mm to keep things simple. In hindsight it seems simple enough to make if I had the tools (I actually do) and inclination (still not sure about that one lol). When we get out of lockdown might head down to Bunnings and bug people in the timber section.

EB9-F42-C8-3-BA9-45-F6-A3-A7-699-EDC051-C76.jpg

Looks neat. I find myself constantly getting stuck on thinking of designs for stands but never actually put the designs to test with a working prototype.
Something like this is simple and cool much like the test tube holder. I rather like the one you have to that because of similar reasons of the head resting on top of the wood which I feel takes away a little from the razors design somewhat.

Nice little collection of razors you have there.

After seeing all this Tabac buys I am not so sure I ordered enough. In all seriousness I felt I should have ordered more too since I wanted to give a few to my father too.
I'm glad that everyone is buying it up though. Call me crazy but the scent from the batch I got recently smelled even better than the jar I had from a few years ago.

After seeing all this Tabac buys I am not so sure I ordered enough. In all seriousness I felt I should have ordered more too since I wanted to give a few to my father too.
I'm glad that everyone is buying it up though. Call me crazy but the scent from the batch I got recently smelled even better than the jar I had from a few years ago.
I picked up enough not to worry about rationing. As a matter of fact I expect some of it to outlast me. I figured it’s better too much than too little.

The scent does dissipate. I reckon the best approach is to take the soap out of any loose packaging and vacuum-pack it to exclude any possibility of oxidation over time. That's what I've done with all my spare pucks of C&S Oxford & Cambridge.

Yesterday mail called.

HOLY FARTS!! :wideyed::jawdrop: The aluminium Christopher Bradley is super light, feels like I’m holding a bloody cartridge razor again.

The aluminium has a widebody top cap and the standard base plates are B, C & D.

Looking forward to shaving the aluminium soon.

481-C7029-826-A-4-E69-BF42-BABB704-F1-B26.jpg

111-A3-AE6-25-F5-4-BFA-B135-C45-BC14-C3908.jpg

Yesterday mail called.

HOLY FARTS!! :wideyed::jawdrop: The aluminium Christopher Bradley is super light, feels like I’m holding a bloody cartridge razor again.

The aluminium has a widebody top cap and the standard base plates are B, C & D.

Looking forward to shaving the aluminium soon.

481-C7029-826-A-4-E69-BF42-BABB704-F1-B26.jpg

111-A3-AE6-25-F5-4-BFA-B135-C45-BC14-C3908.jpg
The colour of the black anodising looks different to the first release version. Looks darker.

It's the same original colour, just the warm light camera shot, couldn't be bothered to remove the razor from the packaging.
No. It’s darker now. He changed the mob who were doing the anodising and there’s some photos out there with people who have the original aluminium vs the latest ones. The older was more graphite in colour.
Also, the base plates have a different colour now.

No. It’s darker now. He changed the mob who were doing the anodising and there’s some photos out there with people who have the original aluminium vs the latest ones. The older was more graphite in colour.
Also, the base plates have a different colour now.
Ooh. Well never mind, I’m keep it, no point sending it back to Canada.

Don't know how Peter/Vshod affords to be so generous. I only ordered the stuff in the right pile: Razorock GC84 OC on clearance, What The Puck Orange Sunrise, Gillette Platinum and BiC Chrome Platinum.

Out of the 4 complimentary soaps the Green label is my clear favorite, followed by Gold, Blue and Black. Though Black is definitely not in my wheelhouse so may find a new home for it.

Ive read that the GC84 OC despite being open comb is generally a smooth shaver and not R41 aggressive. We shall see tonight.

WciHsx8.jpeg

Don't know how Peter/Vshod affords to be so generous. I only ordered the stuff in the right pile: Razorock GC84 OC on clearance, What The Puck Orange Sunrise, Gillette Platinum and BiC Chrome Platinum.

Out of the 4 complimentary soaps the Green label is my clear favorite, followed by Gold, Blue and Black. Though Black is definitely not in my wheelhouse so may find a new home for it.

Ive read that the GC84 OC despite being open comb is generally a smooth shaver and not R41 aggressive. We shall see tonight.

WciHsx8.jpeg
Yeah, I've had a few free tubs of RR soaps from vshod too. I sometimes wonder how cheap they actually are, to be given away like that. If you like them, the good news is they last forever.

Yeah, I've had a few free tubs of RR soaps from vshod too. I sometimes wonder how cheap they actually are, to be given away like that. If you like them, the good news is they last forever.

Triple milled vegan Italian soaps made by Saponificio Bignoli. Very decent soaps that punch way above their price for performance, with a good scent selection. I have the sticks and they are great for travel not offensive like Arko.

Gold is based off Razorock XXX, which is an homage to Aqua di Parma - Colonia

Green- fresh, clean, woody aromatic. Has a slight green note.

Black- Aromatic fougere with slight peppery notes.

Blue- based off discontinued Floid Blue, has a clean barbershop scent.

7sU5Ito.jpg

So, this mail call has a story.

I'd been using my Merkur 34C more often than my other higher end razors because recently I felt like more milder shaves. I thought about purchasing the RR Mamba 70, but instead went with the DSCosmetic T7, which is supposed to be a clone version of the Mamba 70 with a scalloped head. It was cheaper and had cheaper shipping. So the scallop cap version was out of stock and they asked if I wanted to get a refund or wait 20 extra days for stock to arrive. I told them I'd go for the latter, because I really wanted the razor, and what's an extra 20 days, considering how long I normally have to wait for gear from Aliexpress.

Anyway, not long after that email, Razorock announced a lot of Scratch & Dent (S&D) Mamba 70s for USD$39.00. What the frek? Even with the USD$20 shipping charge to Australia, it would be a little cheaper than the DSC T7. Of all the stupid luck, right? But since I made the commitment to DSC, I felt I couldn't back out now. So, I thought for sure that this S&D Mamba was going to sell out quick. But surprisingly it didn't. And a week after that, DSC randomly just refunded my money anyway (they still don't have the scallop cap in stock). At around that time, RR announced new stock of the Lupo 72 and 95. This can't all be a coincidence, right? Anyway, I purchased the S&D Mamba 70, Lupo 95, Lupo 72 base plate and picked up a few other things on their clearance page to spread the shipping around a bit. 100 Nacets for USD$11.99 and extra UFO handle for USD$9.99 rounded out my purchases.

Ironically, RR got more GC 84 razors in after I made my order, but I think I'm done for hardware in the immediate future. Gamechanger will just have to wait a while longer (or never, the general consensus is Lupo > GC).

Status
Not open for further replies.