Feburary 2015 Acquisitions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those rubies look like the fake ones @Monsta_AU has warned us about previously. But the rest seem amazing prices. $80 delivered for 1k voskhods and entry into the Grand Society anyone?

They are the same branding of blade that I have seen in a fake blade previously - yes. These however appear to have each pack cello-wrapped, which in my experience a few years ago were legitimate.

That said, that does not mean that they took pictures of legit product and won't send you the fakerubies. As always, look for the tell-tale signs I posted which will give you the knowledge to know what you are looking at. Cracking of the cardboard where they have creased it to make the packs, over-inked, smudgy printing, dropped fonts....

Or with increased demand, scaled up purchases gain a concession from his supplier.

For what it is worth, that is highly unlikely. He would have to scale up very large in order to get that sort of discounting. More likely that he was able to buy from a supplier with a guaranteed contract who needed to shift lots of blades before their next shipment arrived and sold it at cost plus a few percent. Also note that the Rouble has dropped against foreign currencies in a very big way (40-50%) - possibly that was leveraged as well to get a very good price.

I did look at getting a 20' container worth of blades from Saint Petes and the pricing landed was not exactly worthwhile. Yes it was cheap on a per blade basis but I would be putting a lot of capital at risk to make 15% max. You need to buy semi-trailer's worth (5 Million Blades or so) to make a decent profit.

Just to put it out there, I can source Yum-Cha DE blades from China at USD$1.50/100 in a minimum 1 Million lot, FOB Shanghai. So USD$15K per Mil before shipping costs (dependent on size, probably needs to be a shared container), then import & customs duties.... then transport to a location here. Probably end up around $3/100 landed to me. And that is just for a shit generic Chinese blade.

Oh sorry @3pass. They are not in your pile of goodies, but something else he is selling.
Didn't mean to get you worried.

These
http://m.ebay.com/itm/201217250859

Looks like I might be wrong. They could be legit after all
http://paste-and-cut.com.au/communi...fake-blades-gillette-rubie-platinum-plus.100/

They LOOK legit, but the phots may not match what you get. Still, based on where he is I would day it's more likely to be legit than fake.

Thats cheap as chips

Anyone had experience with these enough to comment? Vokshod seems to get the most press around here. I'd get a bunch of these if someone can point me in the right direction

They are a nice smooth blade - to me similar in feel to a Personna Red. Not the sharpest but useful. I tend to take them when I travel.

Looking at Personnas, can anyone tell me where the "comfort coated" ones from the US sit in the line up, and also the "viking sword" Israeli ones.

There is basically only 4 Personna blades.
  • Reds/Platinum Chrome - These are the same blade, different packaging & sizings.
  • Barber - usually wrapped in plain white paper, 100-boxed.
  • Israelis/Crystals - these have various packagings and are usually the OEM blade that is rebranded into millions of other brands such as the private Pharmacy labels
  • Labs/Medical Preps - Same blade, med preps are given an extra cleaning. Some over YKW think this makes the blade magically a better shaver. It doesn't.

FWIW loaded up a Rapira Swedish Super Steel in a Gillette Slim@5 (picked as it's pretty middle of the road, both setting and razor) - I used one a long time back but never used again. Very average-ish blade, not special in either sharpness or smoothness. Did get the feeling it wouldn't last many shaves. So take that for what it's worth.

I know they're selling very cheap but certainly not a blade I'd go spending good money on - not that they're bad but certainly far superior blades to be had for marginally more. Will pop a Plat. Lux in over the next few days but expect they'd be much of a muchness. As always YMMV.

Agreed on this. Decent blade but better blades are around for the price, although these are now much cheaper than when I bought mine originally. Definitely a value proposition.

My face prefers PPI blades over Mostochlegmash.

Thanks @Monsta_AU - the French Wilkies have arrived -

Excellent. I have some more of these left guys, small amounts will go up in the trade section soon!

There is basically only 4 Personna blades.
  • Reds/Platinum Chrome - These are the same blade, different packaging & sizings.
  • Barber - usually wrapped in plain white paper, 100-boxed.
  • Israelis/Crystals - these have various packagings and are usually the OEM blade that is rebranded into millions of other brands such as the private Pharmacy labels
  • Labs/Medical Preps - Same blade, med preps are given an extra cleaning. Some over YKW think this makes the blade magically a better shaver. It doesn't.
Just to clarify further: The Barber blades usually have arrows on the blade itself (as opposed to writing like "Super"). I say this because all the newer Labs/Super blades (your #4) are now in white wrappers and no longer in the distinctive blue wrappers.

Excellent. I have some more of these left guys, small amounts will go up in the trade section soon!
Before or after the Vintage Blade mail out since some of the guys don't know why they should chase these...

Just to clarify further: The Barber blades usually have arrows on the blade itself (as opposed to writing like "Super"). I say this because all the newer Labs/Super blades (your #4) are now in white wrappers and no longer in the distinctive blue wrappers.

Part of the changes that happen in a product I guess. It has been a while since I brought any Personnas - at least 5 years I suspect.

Before or after the Vintage Blade mail out since some of the guys don't know why they should chase these...

The fact I am on them should be enough reason to get on the wagon. Now @Mark1966 is pumping a pretty reasonable number also means that it is a no-brainer.

When I say small amounts, I mean 10-20 blades per deal. I have some, but not a whole lot.

Just for fun @Mark1966 put one blade in each of the razors you own and use them in turn. (I know you will run out of blades before you run out of razors but it could make an interesting SOTD topic)

Would run out of razors well before blades ....

FWIW, I bought 400 Voskhod blades in 2 instalments from one of the Russian ebay sellers and had no problems at all. The genuine article, speedy delivery and thanks to the battered old Ruble, cheaper than dirt....

FWIW loaded up a Rapira Swedish Super Steel in a Gillette Slim@5 (picked as it's pretty middle of the road, both setting and razor) - I used one a long time back but never used again. Very average-ish blade, not special in either sharpness or smoothness. Did get the feeling it wouldn't last many shaves. So take that for what it's worth.

I know they're selling very cheap but certainly not a blade I'd go spending good money on - not that they're bad but certainly far superior blades to be had for marginally more. Will pop a Plat. Lux in over the next few days but expect they'd be much of a muchness. As always YMMV.
Another good shave on the same Rapira Lux blade this morning. That's the good thing about opinion [emoji4]

Would be keen to see where these better performing, cost-comparable (~5 cents each) blades are btw. I'll definitely buy a few! Cheers.

Last edited:
Tub of Barrister & Mann Latha turned up. Marginally softer soap than their other ones I've tried, real old school Barber Shop all right.

Also some KYUVO or whatever it is aftershave splash. This is liquid, so no balmy in consistency at all. I'll give it a whirl in the morning.

Tub of Barrister & Mann Latha turned up. Marginally softer soap than their other ones I've tried, real old school Barber Shop all right.

Also some KYUVO or whatever it is aftershave splash. This is liquid, so no balmy in consistency at all. I'll give it a whirl in the morning.
Strong scent on the Latha? I'm intrigued now I read up a little on what it's meant to be...

Moderate scent out of the tub, I'll see how it smells LATHA'd !

I'll send ya a sample if your intrigued mate

Moderate scent out of the tub, I'll see how it smells LATHA'd !
I'll send ya a sample if your intrigued mate
You are to kind - but hold off mate until you give some feedback...
Maybe LAT(H)A...

Where did you get the latha from?

I think it's only available direct from @Barrister & Mann
A 1950's barbershop with tallow formula (plus more!) for $10? Sign me up! - well in 2016 after the sabbatical is over, unless of course I go for an encore in which case 2017

FTFY

I hear there's low stock though.
Will listed a St Valentines day soap at 4am this morning and it's already sold out as of several hours ago!

They had a limited run of 70 tubs of the V day stuff.

70 desperate guys are gonna give it their best shot this time!

From their website Mr T

Another good shave on the same Rapira Lux blade this morning. That's the good thing about opinion [emoji4]

Would be keen to see where these better performing, cost-comparable (~5 cents each) blades are btw. I'll definitely buy a few! Cheers.
Awaiting your reply @Nick the Knife

What is this summoning me to the table to reply? :cautious:

I and several others think the Lux's are relatively mediocre, however you like them - which is lucky for you as just like the users that swear Shark SS are fantastic you can load up on your fave blades at sub-10c a pop. So load up and be merry.
No summons [emoji4] Just curious as to which blades you were referring to in a similar price bracket, which are (to you) higher quality. Still expanding my collection so would be interested in your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.