Feburary 2015 Acquisitions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No summons [emoji4] Just curious as to which blades you were referring to in a similar price bracket, which are (to you) higher quality. Still expanding my collection so would be interested in your thoughts
I tell you what I'll do, specially for you I'll pop a Plat Lux in and use it tonight - if I feel it does great I'll be sure to buy a few hundred before reporting back here that it's a heck of a buy.

That said as always I tend to defer to @Monsta_AU when it comes to anything blade related and as he pointed out within the last few days in another thread where they came up it's a decent 'value' blade at present - and I think thats bang on the mark.

That said 'value' is subjective for each individual, therefore whilst at ~$AUD12.30 landed for a 100 that might be a great deal for some - other will see better value in paying a tad over 20-25c per blade for PSS or even double plus that for something vintage. So I'm open to them being a very good 'bang for buck' blade and I'll be sure to advise how I go. :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately the days of value shaving has gone. 10c Maltesers and 15c GBEs are now long gone unfortunately.

10c Maltesers and 15c GBEs are now long gone unfortunately.
Well............:whistle:...............truth be known...........:whistle:................thats only because between us you and I bought them all. :D

'Value' oriented shaving certainly lives on - just in slightly less impressive guises, that said it certainly doesn't linger for long in these parts as the newbie who comes wanting to save from paying $2 per cart finds suddenly looks in his bathroom (or now emptied guest bedroom!) a year later and sees the 17 artisan crafted soaps made from rare botanicals, a mini-Mark1966 razor collection starter kit, a bakers dozen shaving brushes from every other critter that walks or crawls and enough blades to make it to through impending shavepocalypse. Value...oh value where did you go!!!!

Value is a relative term and should not be narrowly defined to exclude associated enjoyment.

Went antiques store shopping.
Came home with...

Regina Blue carbon(blue) steel blades
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GILLETTE...ge-Advertising-1957-Original-Ad-/181661669977
And a Dirlamit stright.
Ernst Dirlam Hoffnungswerk.
Founded in 1854. Solingen in 1922.
Brand names: 'A. & A. Mfg.-Co.' (1914), 'Daki', 'Dirlam' (1901), 'Dirlamit' (1914, , 1920 and 1923), 'E D', 'Hike' (1923), 'Hoffnungswerk' (1902), 'Reppin' (1923).

Stanwell Park antiques is closing down.
After my visit, there remains a boxed Rolls Razor, A Rolls Razor advertising and two mugs with brushes.
Fairy Meadow Antique Centre has a couple of Rolls Razors.

From http://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers&toolmakers/razormakers.htm

Lots of antique stores closing down @borked -don't mention eBay ....

What you need another razor for mate, thought you had a 30c....surely that'd see you through another good five years or so?

Wanted a long handle, without the heft of the barber pole thingys. If the 23 turned out too aggressive, the handle would still work with the 30. Turns out it's fine. Coulda just bought a handle, but too much of a PITA to try and buy something like a Weber. This was cheaper anyway.

I think either the 2 piece razors like the 34 are inherently more aggressive (which virtually every vendor thinks not) or I just got a bitey one.

There is a LOVELY fragrance filling my office as we speak through the plastic ...

Can't wait to give this a try - I'm a little worried I might become addicted though and NEED more ...

Thanks @Young Buck :)

@Mark1966 , hmmm we're going to have to tag you as 'Ampol' - aka The Quiet Achiever.

Look forward to hearing how it goes, thats the shaving soap equivalent of a nice bottle of Grange or Hill of Grace. Special stuff - that said at that price it was a very good buy, well done.

I guess I'll post these here too, but I'm not expecting them on our shores any time soon as they are having to go via a shipping forwarder. The seller point blank refused to send outside the US. US Ebay is getting harder to get value these days when the AU$ is so low.
$_1.JPG

:)

(sorry for the large photo... I don't know what I'm doing yet with dropbox... any tips?)

Photo%209-02-2015%205%2013%2043%20pm.jpg

Last edited:

(sorry for the large photo... I don't know what I'm doing yet with dropbox... any tips?)

Photo%209-02-2015%205%2013%2043%20pm.jpg
Hooray! Finally made it. [emoji6]

Reactions: MrT

Dropbox will only display the image as saved. You will need to resize it down before upload. I'd aim for 800 pixels on the long edge max.

You can download Paint.Net for free which will let you resize it down to something a little more sane.There are a few others also like The Gimp which is also free but Paint.net is fairly simple and is generally aimed as a replacement to Windows Paint which is hopeless at cropping & resizing.

Personally I am a Photoshop guy from way back in my newspaper days so I use that.

Ditto. I can't even get to this stage. Only a link to my Dropbox folder.
You need to copy the link, but when you paste it remove the trailing "?dl=xxxsx" from the address in the paste box. That is asking Dropbox to send you the file as a download.

I edited the last one for you, compare your 'copy link' direct from dropbox and what I put. Edit the post,. and then click the spanner in the top right of the editor window which gives you the raw BBcode. All should become clear.

Or you can cheat, find the link for the image via right click and paste that into tinypic.com as a url upload and choose the size (800x600 is a good one) so the original in dropbox is the large version.

Status
Not open for further replies.