Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still very surprised by this - found the LPL I have to be great from the get go. Water quality issues maybe?
Possibly. I have hard water here but can get most soaps to work. Maybe I've lost my lathering mojo. I guess some stuff just works well for some and not for others.

Razor: Feather AS-D2
Soap: Extreme Arctic Mango
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Ubersoft II
Blade: Feather (3)

We are having hot weather in Sydney so I took the Extreme version of Arctic Mango for a spin. Scent is the same as the regular version but man I love the extra menthol in this version especially on a hot day. You have another winner on your hand @Anthony.

All in all a nice cool three pass shave.

Still struggled to get a decent lather with the LPL so I abandoned the soap after the first pass and used the closest soap to hand which was some Barrister & Mann Seville. Much better lather. The LPL will be going in the frankensoap pot.

I share your global opinion of LPL @unobtainium81 - I can get an acceptable lather but the fragrance of the Cedar/Patchouli soap is so heavy handed it borders on offensive to me. With so many brilliant soaps to choose from these days, there's no room for the mediocre in my cabinet...

This "frankensoap pot" has an ominous sound to it, as though it needs to comply with NATO directives for storage of bio-hazards :eek: To what end? I have to ask.....

37Y1KoAvzf_Fr6mjI1VcC5vkaKRTuIXTktcntAJ0e6IXPrrXXu3dVs2Z2fBTtKiCBy_u1Eghw8CcxRosYpOyj2LIcZJXKkRnnw_OoXmpQxh26KKACpmzJs9OvgckYRv_X6coRJ73fIJ8oWN5oSllGcak7enO4xhfVPwu_iRy9kjX27qHrqfChBFigmtReaAJzFL6ma-LJT_zJ5mJ-JFwRJu8kzwICN0NKKH5vB-HJMybc7QMLl_GPsh_9txD7ztOkQ1UyqHMsgHD2RY5PRKRl-PdXf7nqcwnMqWg0EkTvNvylOXEur0_gGJzvdB3P_mA2nXEEuXY1OGBonAgi19dPRprMf_D6gUxS2oDUkwIqq6M2FLk3MaDbGWfyqLTBdICvnNdcsDK8xgl65zDBYpkQ5-8QVmYCbAdJvwRw0YyAlxPLcWBPclQqT-84ihGNTrSeZllMyN6pToZmbP_5nVsIAB1LFu8sQA1ZJUMa_eKWdWlqcM7X-mXWWNSOZZuwBbkfxCFNFQ8_p_VAn3Xc1U9wpVIbD3ll8xryzs-K12_Zn2_7LCrff0GFjirKvjVJzQjQP-k=w800-h600-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Glycerin Soap
Pre-Shave : Razorock Peppermint
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Razor : Gloria "Smiling" Straight
After Shave : Proraso Green

Another shave with some new things to try. After a fairly standard prep, I tried the latest soap acquisition from The Stray Whisker which I bought based on a small try from a tiny sampler tin. I wasn't sure about the lather at the time, but the fragrance got me right in. With a full sized puck and a decent brush to play with, it produced a perfectly acceptable lather, particularly for straight shaving. Not brilliant in the cushion department, so you DE shavers who prize dense cushioning may want to look elsewhere, but plenty of glide to keep a straight shaver happy. And the fragrance - for me, a near perfect blend of fresh citrus and the woody spiciness of Bay. This soap is destined to become a favourite indulgence for me.

To the main event : the Gloria smiling straight is a very recent score, and today was its maiden innings. For ages I've been intrigued by smiling blades but the most commonly available ones in Japan, made by Saito, were a bit too curved for me to feel confident about buying one. Then my favourite little man in Osaka turned up this NOS beauty and my fate was sealed. The inaugural honing was an interesting exercise - only a portion of the cutting edge is in contact with the hone at any time, so it's necessary to use a kind of rolling X-stroke to ensure that all parts of the blade get equal hone time every stroke. A little bit awkward at first, but it quickly felt more natural and I ended up with a very sharp, evenly honed razor. In action, there was little to suggest that I was using a curved blade - it sang like the best of them and shaved smoothly and comfortably. Then I realised that it was managing some of the difficult concave planes of my face without the usual gymnastics necessary to get in there and achieve a smooth result. This was confirmed when I finished the first pass and did a tactile check of my face. Only a light second pass was necessary to achieve all over smoothness. I'm pretty sure this razor is going to rocket into the A-Team, and be one of my very favourites due to its great blend of comfort, feedback, sharpness and ability to make the difficult bits easy.

Another muggy Melbourne morning, so I chose the good old Proraso Green. It fell victim to my Menthol Madness phase the other day and received a substantial boost to its Menthol level - just great in this humidity.

20160121_SOTDSGraNo_zpsoyfp4wsu.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Mystic Waters Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Things are finally getting back to normal here - the lather was flying around, the shave was wonderfull...Happy Days!

I share your global opinion of LPL @unobtainium81 - I can get an acceptable lather but the fragrance of the Cedar/Patchouli soap is so heavy handed it borders on offensive to me. With so many brilliant soaps to choose from these days, there's no room for the mediocre in my cabinet...

This "frankensoap pot" has an ominous sound to it, as though it needs to comply with NATO directives for storage of bio-hazards :eek: To what end? I have to ask.....
It's where soaps go to die and then be reborn :)
I'm glad you agree and I agree there is no place for mediocre soap these days.

37Y1KoAvzf_Fr6mjI1VcC5vkaKRTuIXTktcntAJ0e6IXPrrXXu3dVs2Z2fBTtKiCBy_u1Eghw8CcxRosYpOyj2LIcZJXKkRnnw_OoXmpQxh26KKACpmzJs9OvgckYRv_X6coRJ73fIJ8oWN5oSllGcak7enO4xhfVPwu_iRy9kjX27qHrqfChBFigmtReaAJzFL6ma-LJT_zJ5mJ-JFwRJu8kzwICN0NKKH5vB-HJMybc7QMLl_GPsh_9txD7ztOkQ1UyqHMsgHD2RY5PRKRl-PdXf7nqcwnMqWg0EkTvNvylOXEur0_gGJzvdB3P_mA2nXEEuXY1OGBonAgi19dPRprMf_D6gUxS2oDUkwIqq6M2FLk3MaDbGWfyqLTBdICvnNdcsDK8xgl65zDBYpkQ5-8QVmYCbAdJvwRw0YyAlxPLcWBPclQqT-84ihGNTrSeZllMyN6pToZmbP_5nVsIAB1LFu8sQA1ZJUMa_eKWdWlqcM7X-mXWWNSOZZuwBbkfxCFNFQ8_p_VAn3Xc1U9wpVIbD3ll8xryzs-K12_Zn2_7LCrff0GFjirKvjVJzQjQP-k=w800-h600-no

Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay

Another shave with some new things to try.
I tried the latest soap acquisition from The Stray Whisker which I bought based on a small try from a tiny sampler tin.
I wasn't sure about the lather at the time, but the fragrance got me right in.
With a full sized puck and a decent brush to play with, it produced a perfectly acceptable lather, particularly for straight shaving.
Not brilliant in the cushion department, so you DE shavers who prize dense cushioning may want to look elsewhere, but plenty of glide to keep a straight shaver happy.
And the fragrance - for me, a near perfect blend of fresh citrus and the woody spiciness of Bay.
This soap is destined to become a favourite indulgence for me.

Another muggy Melbourne morning, so I chose the good old Proraso Green. It fell victim to my Menthol Madness phase the other day and received a substantial boost to its Menthol level - just great in this humidity.
It's high up there upon scent profile alone for me already :)
Proraso needs moar menth!

Merkur 34C
Semogue SOC Boar Brush
Vokshod (0)
Shaver Heaven Spiced Mahogany

The change between the Feather & Vokshod was very noticeable. I could barely feel the Vokshod on my face for the first pass whereas with the Feather you always know it's there.

That being said I managed a three pass shave with the final being AGT & had no irritation! Unheard of given it was only a one day growth.

I did however discover that my skin is reacting to something in the Spiced Mahogany :( as much as I enjoy the scent it's time to find the soap a new home!

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch
Soap/Cream: Le Père Lucien savon du barbier
Razor: Vintage Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky' Razor
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (5)
Post-shave: Le Père Lucien lotion du barbier

After hearing from the naysayers and doom and gloom mongers (;)) I just HAD to break out the LPL today.

The usual great LPL lather resulted with the equally as good LPL post shave feel - don't know what they are saying :whistle:

Have a great day guys!

20160122_080806 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Green
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Personna lab blue
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet
Post Shave: Stray Whisker Balm and Pinaud Clubman AS
Three pass shave to BBS. Still had some Mystic Water left in the bowl so added the Penhaligons to produce another great uber lather. The scent on some of the English creams are wonderful but their performance, while good, could be better. The scent of the Mystic Water was a little on the weak side after three days in my bowl exposed to the air. Adding the Penhaligons gave me the scent I wanted with the performance of the Mystic Water. Great combination.

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch

The usual great LPL lather resulted with the equally as good LPL post shave feel - don't know what they are saying :whistle:

Let me put my hand up as a LPL naysayer. Rose de Pushkar. Smells nice. Lather is very poor.It came to me as a part of a trade. It's a LE. I couldn't believe how easily the other party agreed to the swap. Shortly after using it I figured out why :(

Something tells me that there was an undisclosed reformulation. I used a sample from the PCB3 (R.I.P) and it was very good. Mine is absolute shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.