Catch ups, meet ups and other off topic rubbish ...

Borked is a bit of a dark horse and I may need to hand over the Vintage Blade crown to him shortly. Never seen so many Light Brigades in all my life! I am pretty sure he only announces 20% of what he actually buys - everyone keep your eyes on him.
He's more than a dark horse- he's a whole herd of them!!! He has a LOT of aces up his sleeve... [emoji13]

A run out to see @borked and @SydBJW tonight. Delivery of the first B&M buy was the main reason.

Nice to finally meet you Brendan and thanks for the samples, hope you enjoy some blades and make sure you find some old threads and bump them with your thoughts. Wicked scent on the Wickhams BTW! (y)

Borked is a bit of a dark horse and I may need to hand over the Vintage Blade crown to him shortly. Never seen so many Light Brigades in all my life! I am pretty sure he only announces 20% of what he actually buys - everyone keep your eyes on him.
@SydBJW I hope the small contribution of blades from me are appreciated and look forward to your review upon them.
Also, I owe you an apology for delaying @Monsta_AU yet he was like a kid in a candy store with my blades, soaps, creams and vodka :)

@Monsta_AU if only you saw your facial expression the moment you realised there was a box of Light Brigades below that single blister pack, let alone when I revealed the other three!
I've mentioned a box of vintage blades, now you've sighted it in the first instance :)
You also now understand intimately the appeal of TMBR and hope our discussions come to fruition too :)

Jeez this sure looks like someone's avatar. Hmmm...any familial links here @Monsta_AU mate? (Available to buy from Massdrop...)
MD-7693_20150503140131_6b5c53148726512e.jpg

A run out to see @borked and @SydBJW tonight. Delivery of the first B&M buy was the main reason.

Nice to finally meet you Brendan and thanks for the samples, hope you enjoy some blades and make sure you find some old threads and bump them with your thoughts. Wicked scent on the Wickhams BTW! (y)

Nice to meet you @Monsta_AU - Thanks for all the blades, so many to chooses from. The Wickham Club Cola, I could smell that all day, great smelling soap.

Yeah thanks RM, way to rub it. @SydBJW knows I'm first in line if he decides to sell....

@stillshunter it was a sample of Wickham Club Cola, I gave out my other Wickham soap has yet to arrive, got to love Australia Post. If you want a sample PM me your postal address and I will send you one.

Last edited by a moderator:
USER=1194]@stillshunter[/USER] it was a sample of Wickham Club Cola, I gave out my other Wickham soap has yet to arrive, got to love Australia Post. If you want a sample PM me your postal address and I will send you one.
Very generous offer - thanks mate (y) I'm flush with samples for the moment - 'moment' being the next 3 years :oops: so I'll pass for the moment. Cheers!

The fledging and classy Melbourne clan came together yesterday. @Draco Noir suggested that we touch base to share in the spoils of the Barrister & Mann secret project. Along with @StueyB and myself, we met for lunch at a Korean bar in the city. Terrific bunch of guys.

We plan on doing this more often so we are extending an invite to our other Melbourne friends to join us next time. @Mong and @Young Buck and other Melbourne Paste & Cutters take note. A day and time to suit all can easily be worked out.

I didn't want to continue hijacking @filobiblic 's straight adventures thread, but at the same time I'd like the keep the home fires burning for one of our own.

I'd add to these sentiments, he was not a gentleman but a squire and I miss his little Zen koans and other insights, and I'd be very keen to just know all's well with our old mate @Marlow . I understand if he's moved on - as a few other members have - and would prefer not to add another inane post to threads in this place :whistle: but, mate, just a PM to reassure one of us that you're all good. Or might I suggest a no-holds-barred-no-beg-your-pardons final public tirade on here so you can leave this place in a blaze of glory ;)

coooo0eeeee
@Marlow is indeed alive and as well as can be from what I can gather via private contact made.
Hopefully he decides to join in with the fold and ensuing madness again soon and I've ensured he knows he is still more than welcome :)

Still here but I really don't have that much to say.

Just shave'n as I do most days.

I don't really relish the thought of having to do it, as it is just one of those things that I need to do and this wet DE and Straight shaving thing is just better than the other popular alternatives.

Actually I have found what works for myself and my face.

There is a whole philosophical side which I will not go into at the moment, but is special and practical at the same time.

Anyway, just saying hello again after a bit of a medical upset as well as a philosophical sort of thing.

With the Medical I could die soon ( my thought because the med guys have no idea) but nobody can find anything physically tangible (in my mind shit happens, and do not really care) but the philosophical will be with me forever through all incarnations.

Ha, it is just shaving, sharp blades and looking bloody acceptable!

I personally love sharp and prefer to look at the" minimum" at least acceptable.

Thanks @borked for contacting me and hi Stills and Ghosty, I actually miss the stuff we used to crap on about.

Last edited:
iirc @Marlow you're using straights these days ?
A few recent threads upon them that your experience would be welcomed within.

What is your go to kit these days ?

Not good re the medical upset and hope that you find some positives from the situation soon.

Were you around to have the Canberra blacksmiths where you can make your own straight brought to your attention ?

PS ARKO!!! :)

Mostly DE with the minimum amount of strokes to look acceptable.

I use my Feather Artist Club ss (straight) for pleasure.

I saw the blacksmith thing and really wanted to go but this thing I have makes me look and feel like I am drunk in that my balance is affected and I stagger at times and it is rather embarrassing at times when I am in public places.

It is a vertigo sort of thing and it can make me stagger and start retching sort of thing. Very embarrassing! People think that I am drunk, I am sure.

I had to give up my sword arts because of this shit, too dangerous.

I am ok but it is rather debilitating and my sick leave has skyrocketed as sometimes I can't drive to work because of all the wheels of other cars turning as they have to do to be able to move forward.

It is weird as I hardly had a day off in the past 45 years of working life.

PS; not after sympathy, it is just a shit of a thing that is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate that is completely crap and I hope they come up with an answer soon. I've had some pretty bad sea-sickness at times (way too much ocean, and severely not enough boat for conditions) so if it is something like being seasick on land then yeah, I bet you do look drunk.

Keep pushing them, because it seems like something that needs to be found. I imagine they have done all the blood tests and a few cranial MRI's too.

If you feel up to it, then by all means come along.

@Marlow is it ear related ?
As for swordcraft, would a bokken or shinai be a viable option ?
If not, what of training others ?
As foe travels, public yransport an option recreationally ?

Had tests and stuff. I think it could be crystals in the ear as some exercises I have seem to help greatly.

Ok when seated but bending down can bring it on. Also spatial things like inside to outside or supermarket aisles.

My woman usually drives to places etc. I had to cancel an overseas holiday because of it, it is very annoying.

So enough about this as it just is, and it is being pursued.

But thanks guys for your concern.

Good to know that there's something (ie exercises) that can help. Sad that you had to cancel your overseas holiday and taken so much leave.

Good to hear from you Marlow. Missed your take-no-prisoners and tell-it-as-it-is attitude.

(And I took up your suggestion of posting about using a straight for a first time. Good stuff. [emoji106])

I don't mean to come across as an arsehole, it just seems to happen when I post stuff on forums because usually, well in person I seem to be different. Sort of nicer and very tolerant of anything (well, sort of).

I just remembered that I had to tell @borked that I have a couple of Bokken and an Iiato and Shinken as well as Jo and Bo etc. It is the balance thing that is the problem.

I made a walking stick that looks quite harmless but is the same length as my swords but has a SS ball for the top and a sharpened metal ferrule on the bottom end covered by one of those rubber things that you see on the bottom of walking sticks.

It could be quite deadly if it needed to be but also harmless in the way it looks.

So watch out for staggering old blokes:)

By the way I think I shaved off 2 layers of skin this morning as I got a little aggressive and feel like I am sunburnt many hours later.

Last edited:
I don't mean to come across as an arsehole, it just seems to happen when I post stuff on forums because usually, well in person I seem to be different. Sort of nicer and very tolerant of anything (well, sort of).

I just remembered that I had to tell @borked that I have a couple of Bokken and an Iiato and Shinken as well as Jo and Bo etc. It is the balance thing that is the problem.

I made a walking stick that looks quite harmless but is the same length as my swords but has a SS ball for the top and a sharpened metal ferrule on the bottom end covered by one of those rubber things that you see on the bottom of walking sticks.

It could be quite deadly if it needed to be but also harmless in the way it looks.

So watch out for staggering old blokes:)

By the way I think I shaved off 2 layers of skin this morning as I got a little aggressive and feel like I am sunburnt many hours later.
You're OUR arsehole, everyone's an arsehole here, just toned back out of mutual respect ( well maybe not for the uncouth that don't like emoticons :p ) and in all honesty, you're far from how it appears you view yourself as being viewed by others :)

Would like to see images of this walking stick btw, sounds like what a few members of my family could do with, considering how inconsiderate others around this area in public are.
Also, would practicing while enduring a form of vertigo not improve your skill level and preparedness for an unlikely event where you're somewhat in shock/disorientated, or am I talking shit ?

Hey mate, I still practice but sometimes I nearly fall over when I move too fast and at other times all is well.

The thing is it is hard to tell what will happen.

That is the freaky thing, it is not really predictable as I can be ok for a day or a week then suddenly I get thrown into a spinning world without any warning.

The stress is not knowing and always trying to be prepared, but enjoying each moment of normal bodily incarnation.

I am ok but as usual I must thank you for your thoughtfulness.