DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

Not exactly high brow tipple but hey it came with the room.

357379582-282281641111742-3687090396635874628-n.jpg
I’m told that Japanese beer taste good, but, I haven’t tried one.

What’s the taste like compare to Irish and German beers

I’m told that Japanese beer taste good, but, I haven’t tried one.

What’s the taste like compare to Irish and German beers
When comparing like for like, I find Japanese (and Korean) lagers tend to be very crisp, light and very little bitterness. That said, the Japanese craft brew scene is very lively and I've had some very good IPAs and wheat ales.

Nice room! Where is that at?
This was the Ryotei Hanayura ryokan in Noboribetsu, a hot spring town in Hokkaido. The water you see is grey from the sediment in their hot springs. And it was very hot.

When comparing like for like, I find Japanese (and Korean) lagers tend to be very crisp, light and very little bitterness. That said, the Japanese craft brew scene is very lively and I've had some very good IPAs and wheat ales.
Might go to the bottle shop and grab a few cans of Japanese beer to try'em out, besides, I pretty much prefer Irish and German beer

I'm down for a good beer no matter the origin. Except american beer. Avoid that dishwater swill at all costs.

Gotta have a Bud at the baseba ...

... nah, you are right, water is fine

I'm down for a good beer no matter the origin. Except american beer. Avoid that dishwater swill at all costs.
I totally agree, there is no such thing as a decent American beer.

Just out of left field, I don't mind a Fiji Bitter.

American are the worst beers I’ve tried from time to time, funny how Americans don’t really understand about real beer, when they make good American Whiskey and not even as good as Scottish Whisky.

This YouTube below really cracks me up how Gabriel Iglesias explains about Australia

Last edited:
Just tickled the tonsils with a Havana Club rum tonight.
Not a stellar drop. It's OK, but certainly not going to make you into a pirate (as a 'real' rum will).
https://bigbarrel.co.nz/en/havana-club-7yo-anejo-rum-700ml
I bought mine cheaper than this...but our Commie Govt just increased the alcohol tax.
I won't bother buying this again though. Too many rums, too little time!

Asahi super dry is a pale "crisp" beer it is how that style should be. It is quite close to some American light lagers and ales.

The German and Czech light lagers are quite different.

Sapporo Black is something else and worth a try.

Lion tropical stout from Sri Lanka is great.

I'm reminded of that old joke "what's the similarity between two people making love in a canoe and American beer?"

A: Two fucking close to water.

Incidentally, I'm also reminded that the Japanese take their whiskies very seriously, along of course with their sake. I've only had a few of the latter, so fertile territory for exploration..

Before I start diving into Japanese beer, for starters is there any particular food as a meal that may blend well enough for Japanese beers.
Honestly I'm not a beer connoiseur in the sense that I go to lengths to pair it with food. My rule of thumb is contrast. Light with heavy. Light beer with heavy/greasy food or fuller beers with delicate foods.

Instead of the usual Asahi, Kirin or Sapporo might I recommend the below, available at your local BWS or Dans.
977525-1.png