DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

last night we went out for one final drink before I fly out tomorrow and we headed out to the Archie Rose gin distillery. ( lovely establishment in Alexandria, highly recommend)

and of course us pussers got straight into the cocktails and then discovered a curious item on the menu called "the boilermaker" RRP $150
so of course we ask the waitress what it is as it has no description on the menu. She then begins to explain that its a pint of a dark almost black craft IPA served with the boilermaker shot.....
again curiosity gets the best of our slightly inebriated selves and we ask what the shot is....its a shot of the alcohol distilled off a keg of the same beer you get in the pint.....

so of course it gets ordered for me as my final drink before we head home by the lads who think its hilarious.
the pint and shot comes out and you can smell the shot from across the bar, its a mixture of hops, vodka and vegemite.......not looking forward to this.
so the beer itself is called "Kaiju" for any fans of the movie "Pacific rim" all their range is based on the monsters from the movie and it smells so hoppy it almost brings a tear to your eye.
it was like someone had condensed down a keg of the strongest IPA you could find into a pint (10.5% alch by the way) and I struggled threw it tasted like sour rotten fruit mixed with vegemite.

so I power threw the pint, finished it and thought I was home free then I look down at this foul smelling shot of crystal clear liquid that's now been slid in front of me. god help me

I smell it as I being it close to my face and it makes me heave and I put it back down. after repeating this process several times I finally just hold my breath and down the shot (waitress said its definitely not a sipper).
easiest way to explain the taste is take a bottle of the roughest bathtub vodka you can find, mix in a jar of vegemite and serve.

I kept it down gents....but will never ever be ordering this again and I don't recommend this at all haha

last night we went out for one final drink before I fly out tomorrow and we headed out to the Archie Rose gin distillery. ( lovely establishment in Alexandria, highly recommend)

and of course us pussers got straight into the cocktails and then discovered a curious item on the menu called "the boilermaker" RRP $150
so of course we ask the waitress what it is as it has no description on the menu. She then begins to explain that its a pint of a dark almost black craft IPA served with the boilermaker shot.....
again curiosity gets the best of our slightly inebriated selves and we ask what the shot is....its a shot of the alcohol distilled off a keg of the same beer you get in the pint.....

so of course it gets ordered for me as my final drink before we head home by the lads who think its hilarious.
the pint and shot comes out and you can smell the shot from across the bar, its a mixture of hops, vodka and vegemite.......not looking forward to this.
so the beer itself is called "Kaiju" for any fans of the movie "Pacific rim" all their range is based on the monsters from the movie and it smells so hoppy it almost brings a tear to your eye.
it was like someone had condensed down a keg of the strongest IPA you could find into a pint (10.5% alch by the way) and I struggled threw it tasted like sour rotten fruit mixed with vegemite.

so I power threw the pint, finished it and thought I was home free then I look down at this foul smelling shot of crystal clear liquid that's now been slid in front of me. god help me

I smell it as I being it close to my face and it makes me heave and I put it back down. after repeating this process several times I finally just hold my breath and down the shot (waitress said its definitely not a sipper).
easiest way to explain the taste is take a bottle of the roughest bathtub vodka you can find, mix in a jar of vegemite and serve.

I kept it down gents....but will never ever be ordering this again and I don't recommend this at all haha

The obvious question - why?

Stay safe(r) mate!

Finished a bottle of this.
Enjoyed it enough to buy another bottle.
Easy to drink favouring upon the lighter side of fruit.

Finished a bottle of this.
Enjoyed it enough to buy another bottle.
Easy to drink favouring upon the lighter side of fruit.

Yep, it is one of the really good things to come out of Mudgee, disregarding Ken Sutcliffe. The winery is in a Germanic style, and has a really interesting ambience when you are there. One of the places I love taking people when in town.

25 years ago it was actually in a 'pipeclay' bottle like this, hence the name. I believe it has national distribution through Woolworths/BWS (and probably Dans) and should set you back $18-$20 a bottle depending on location.

Any liquor that sells in a 5L tub has to be classy...
It's food service packaging for restaurants and the like, it is actually very popular in dessert recipes for some reason. It's not strange at all, I have seen 20 litre plastic drums of Sherry before. You could use it for filling a small bar cask for serving, or into a larger Solera Cask like your own scotch cask.

Anyhow, been sipping the Glenfarclas 105 and Springbank 10 over Christmas. Probably will hit itto the Fiddich 18 later on tonight.

Dans has it for under $20

Xmas drinks have been a gifted Jack single barrel, which was pretty drinkable as JD goes. Also have a bottle of JW Green on the go. Branched out on this and surprisingly, it's similar to a high quality bourbon.

Mount_Gay_Extra_Old_rum_A_400px.png

My father was swearing by Havana Club until I gifted him a bottle of XO. After he finished it, he went to the spirit store to get another one but was told that they expected a re-stock in 6 months due to low availability of this nectar. We ended up driving all the way to Ottawa and bought every single bottle they had there (12) :LOL:

Xmas drinks have been a gifted Jack single barrel, which was pretty drinkable as JD goes. Also have a bottle of JW Green on the go. Branched out on this and surprisingly, it's similar to a high quality bourbon.

Mount_Gay_Extra_Old_rum_A_400px.png

ywd39cU.png

I'm mostly dry these days, but I keep a few bottles of this in the house for nights such as this.

A lovely drop, the islay's being my preferred tipple.

Branched out on this and surprisingly, it's similar to a high quality bourbon.
Yeah, that is indeed a goodun, and Bundy it definitely is not! Think about Zacapa 23 if you can, or possibly Dorado 15. Both are very good and can often be found when Mt. Gay XO is not around.

ywd39cU.png

I'm mostly dry these days, but I keep a few bottles of this in the house for nights such as this.

A lovely drop, the islay's being my preferred tipple.
What time did I need to be there?

Last edited:
My first Fiddich 18 (Small Batch reserve, batch 3402) of the night is poured and a literal 2 drops of water in it as it is unfortunately only 40% ABV. For the 'normal price' of about $150 in most bottleshops this should be at 43% at the bare minimum but 46% would be far, far better and yield a much better dram. I have a feeling that there is much chill filtering at play here and that is really reducing the character, as well as E150....

Nose is a definite toffee & marzipan note, although a little 'fumey' for an 18yo. A very smooth vanilla, spiced apples and honey arrival but is then overwhelmed somewhat by the attacking spicyness of the European Oak sherry casks in the development. A tiny suggestion of smoke in there does help a little along with the normal dried fruits and butterscotch. Finish sees the oak start to fade and is elegantly replaced by some cinnamon finally rolling back into a slightly oily, bourbon-matured finish. It's a weird one but pleasant. Higher ABV with more water in the glass would make a completely different experience, and I am gutted at how good this could be with some small changes.

Oh, it is $99 at Nicks right now, so at the price is a very good deal. My bottle from Vanuatu via Duty Free was basically only minus the GST component of this price, so a good buy relatively.

Enjoyed this to see in the New Year - a very generous gift from a good mate.
I am glad that the blend has returned to a more typical balance - in recent years, it has had a touch too much peat/smoke for me. I do enjoy those notes, but more so in an Islay Single Malt.