Got something cool? Non-shaving Acquisitions Thread

I think I understood a few words in there, but that's about it. Are there any advantages to this type of setup apart from security?
It's less about security and getting what I want, with the management layer to suit.

Draytek have excellent all-in-one devices that can also control extra access points directly from the router. The WiFi on them is a bit behind the flashy 'AC3200' numbers on Asus and Netgear boxes but they are solid - we call them 'the poor man's Cisco'. Simple, rock-solid reliable business grade devices that won't choke on 20+ users unlike your Nighthawk. My 2830Vn lasted 7 years, I just retired it when I moved as I am getting cable here (old apartment building being an MDU was not allowed to have cable, the new house does not have that limitation).

UBNT does amazing stuff, you can get a separate Router (USG) with security functions, and then a separate Access Point or two for about the same money. The major benefit is the excellent free management software when you run it on a local PC or VM, or grab the 'Cloud Key'. All fully managed and able to move devices to the other access point when it will get a better connection. For home networks I recommend nothing less if you have wired outlets. Even better if you have structured cabling and you can use the in-wall AP's instead.

Is this the type of stuff you're referring to @Monsta_AU ? Looks very cool and definitely something I'm going to look into (though probably only really when and if we shift house now).

Yes, and specifically the second one.

Last edited:
64dZgw9.jpg

A shamelessly stolen photo of a knife I have had sitting in customs for the last week..

Nice love the look and patina
They are a very cool brand GEC but their knives run in such short batches the chances of getting something specific you are looking for can be a pain.

Well against all odds, it happened today.
The stars aligned and my constant nagging paid off, today we were handed the keys to this.
house1.jpg
house2.jpg

house3.jpg

Photos are from the two days ago when the painters were still finishing off.
Missed this post before. Wow, looks idyllic! Well done.

That is one great looking knife.
Really looking forward to it, it’s abit odd as I needed to provide an invoice to customs. First time that’s happened

Been after a simple, classic belt that will not split like the rubbish you buy in the shop and *hopefully* will not trigger the metal detectors at airports.

Very happy with my acquisition from 'The Beltman' which arrived today -

Looks much better in person than on his website!

Now the test will be if I can get through those airport scanners ...

Been after a simple, classic belt that will not split like the rubbish you buy in the shop and *hopefully* will not trigger the metal detectors at airports.

Very happy with my acquisition from 'The Beltman' which arrived today -

Looks much better in person than on his website!

Now the test will be if I can get through those airport scanners ...
1957 nickel buckle?

The answer @Mark1966 is the 5.11 TDU belt.
When it comes to the airport you obviously want to be the guy making a deliberate attempt to prevent metal detectors going off by the use of tactical apparel.

9UCv9hwl.jpg

Just had this arive after a long stay in customs.

Does a solar installation count?
With a 1:1 import/export ratio, $1k grant, stc's and a 6.2% solar loan it finally kind of makes sense up here in Darwin where a typical install is far nor expensive as panel installation has to be certified cyclone rated.
Should be installed next week.
Have worked out we should be about $50-$100 in credit per month based on our current spend.