Knives & Knife sharpening

Lodge the disputes but don't escalate them to a claim pending the replacement turning up. It really should only take 2-3weeks from China, anymore than that and they're playing games. Very annoying for you guys. :-/

Yep, that is the best way forward.

For what it is worth I looked at a number of other suppliers on eBay - they all seem to have similar issues.

I just found an email in my ebay folder from them:

Dear eggy,

Base on our radar system, our pigeon reported to us that he has already covered 50% of its journey of your item:

(280836212074 x1) Useful Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle Sharpening Cutlery

Should it not turn up on 2012-11-08, kindly give another 5 days, as occasional postal delay is possible.

And, if you still do not receive it by 2012-11-13, please let us know immediately, we will have to report to our Post Office and ensure you receive what you have paid for. Your patience is deeply appreciated.

(Notice: Since the air cargo capacity of China Post has been impacted due to a high volume of items, there might be a delayed shipment of some items.
So if unfortunately you haven't received the item within the expected time, please be patient and wait for some more days. Thanks for your kind understanding.)

Must be automated I presume.

Must be automated I presume.

Yup word for word - they only react when you point out that it appears their pigeon has been shot down and eaten and then start begging for no dispute no bad feedback - its all the fault of postal authorities etc. If mine is not at home tonight I have told them they will have 24 hours to refund the full amount or I will raise the claim and leave the feedback. Will let you know how I get on.

My 24 hour clock is running . No response from them - surprise surprise so I shall lodge my claim as soon as I get home tonight (unless of course I have my money back).

Got my money back! Didnt need to open a dispute just said 24 hours to return funds or I would raise a dispute. Cheeky buggers still want a 5 start feedback rating!

OK, so I lodged a PayPal dispute today with the comment that I was doing so to meet the deadline but would not escalate for 10 days while I awaited the replacement from the seller or a full refund.

Within 45 mins I had a case closed notification and a full refund in my PayPal account.

So, it seems I might be going shopping again on the basis that neither of the two sent to me (allegedly) are likely to turn up.

Now, which dodgy Chinese eBay supplier with 96% positive feedback to pick this time!

At the risk of getting three of these (the original, the replacement they sent and the one I'm about to buy) I'm going to order another. Now which supplier to pick

Tomtop_UK - China based and standard postage table

Keyzone - HK based and standard postage table

Solarpowercenter - China based and standard postage table

Niceforu365 - China based and standard postage table

2010jixiang
- China based no postage table

tomtopsales - China based and standard postage table

The products all look the same, the ones in bold have slightly better feedback (although with solarpowercenter from a much lower total feedback). Most negative feedback seems to be in relation to postage.

Of course you could always buy the REAL one from the manufacturer OR get them from a local reseller:

Edge Pro Apex Sharpening System Kit 1

Edge Pro Apex Sharpening System Kit 2

Edge Pro Apex Sharpening System Kit 3

Edge Pro Apex Sharpening System Kit 4

Not bad prices really for an Aussie reseller. To be honest I'm a little torn. I was thinking of going to try the HK based one and see how I go but am now pondering getting the real one from the Aussie place.

Last edited:
Without reading all the WP thread will the Edge Faux with replacement stones down the track do the job without any modification or adjustment being required?

If it was a choice of $35 plus stones plus mucking around or $180 with no mucking around I may pick the latter.

I can see another AD coming on here!

NO!

Solved my own problem by reading more of the WP thread. It was talking about backing for stones blah blah but you can buy more expensive stones (including the EP ones) with backing and just pop them into either the real or the faux - so I think I'll order another faux from the HK based eBay seller - just for a change.

I'll let you know what happens!

Without reading all the WP thread will the Edge Faux with replacement stones down the track do the job without any modification or adjustment being required?

If it was a choice of $35 plus stones plus mucking around or $180 with no mucking around I may pick the latter.

Whilst you seem to have found/formulated an opinion let me say that it's really kind of a subjective thing BUT generally I'd say for the average user the included OEM/faux stones are up to the task.

Replacement ones will just do a better job and do it faster. But much like shaving the BIGGEST FACTOR with sharpening and even using this very fool proof system is the users technique and that will absolutely only come with practice and also an understanding of what you're attempting to do and the knives/materials you're using e.g knowing if your knives are good/rubbish, what they're to be used for etc.

I'd recommend anyone to try the OEM ones for a while and then upgrade if you feel the need (buying the stones from EP themselves is cost-effective & sure to give great results while the value route is buying the blank stones from places like Congress Tools & mounting them yourself on Al blanks from Bunnings).

The ONE big fault that the OEM stones have is that the lowest grit stone (180 IIRC) is really poor and when you want to reprofile &/or remove a significant amount of metal it struggles to get the job done. Can be a tad frustrating as 3rd party stones will do a MUCH better job at this. The higher grit ones are so-so but don't embarrass themselves like the 180grit one. But like I said technique is 90%+ of it so focus on this and see how you go.

MOst folks will use it a bunch in the first few months and then just a few times a yr thereafter so going bananas on plates etc (and you can spend a LOT on these...a REAL LOT) might prove to be a tad silly.

A lot of the sharpening crowd are into it for showoff-youtube type tricks (dropping plastic bag onto knife to have it cut it in half etc)......sounds great in principle but is more for show than practical use as hard to maintain such an edge....is like taking a dragster to do your shopping!

PS I touched up my knives yesterday......mainly just used the 1200grit stones I have and did the Wusthofs at 18degrees and the Artifex at 15 degrees. Because these were done a few months ago and are well cared for they didn't need much done to them. Lovely to cook with again, you use them the first time and you go,"Wow" when it slices through that bigass carrot like its a hot knife through butter.

Last edited:
Whilst you seem to have found/formulated an opinion let me say that it's really kind of a subjective thing BUT generally I'd say for the average user the included OEM/faux stones are up to the task....

Nick, thanks for the detailed response :)

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just to keep my knives sharp.

As they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The posts I was originally coming across at WP were talking about gluing stones to blanks (plastic or aluminum) or making mods to the EdgeFaux and I was just wondering whether the EdgeFaux route would be more hassle than just getting the EdgePro.

It seems that I was just unlucky in the posts I came across as with a bit more reading I think I'm comfortable now that the EdgeFaux will do the job and that when I need/want replacement stones I can just get the EdgePro ones with the blanks and slot them in. While a little more expensive still not unreasonable price wise.

Thanks again

NO!

Solved my own problem by reading more of the WP thread. It was talking about backing for stones blah blah but you can buy more expensive stones (including the EP ones) with backing and just pop them into either the real or the faux - so I think I'll order another faux from the HK based eBay seller - just for a change.

I'll let you know what happens!

It did sound like you were talking yourself in to it there.

It did sound like you were talking yourself in to it there.

Yes I was heading that way. I kept opening pages ion the WP thread trying to get a sense of how it was going for people and as it happened I think I got all the discussion about buying stones and sticking to blanks, packages coming with damaged stuff, modifying the EdgeFaux to make it work etc.

Just unlucky after a further read but for a while there throwing $180 at the Aussie dealer and getting the original next week rather than waiting until mid to late November for the EF was looking appealing.

Then I considered that it could go to razors supplies :cool:

AH well thats a call for you to make - ~5 x the EF's price so up to you.

I've never heard of anyone modding the EF....certainly not a common thing anyway, so this is news to me - no idea what this would achieve other than to do unusual items e.g scissors, chisels.

I think you guys lucked out and got a crap seller, I'd try another seller as there are plenty of different folks selling exactly the same item....honestly you should have in 2-3weeks max or its not coming.

AH well thats a call for you to make - ~5 x the EF's price so up to you.

I've never heard of anyone modding the EF....certainly not a common thing anyway, so this is news to me - no idea what this would achieve other than to do unusual items e.g scissors, chisels.

I think you guys lucked out and got a crap seller, I'd try another seller as there are plenty of different folks selling exactly the same item....honestly you should have in 2-3weeks max or its not coming.

Somebody in the WP thread was talking about doing something to the EF - can't recall what it was now. Anyway I've ordered from another supplier and we will see how we go.

There are LOTS of options as I indicated in my post above with links to current sales.

Just checked my "purchase" and was able to stop payment before it was due to go through on Friday.

Must remember to escalate before 19th November.

Last edited:
and within hours:

"Dispute Closed:
Status: The seller issued a refund to you. The case is now closed."

So.
Umm.

Ooops.

My stuff arrived today.

Did anybody else's?

I guess that makes up for the folding knife I am fairly sure customs have impounded as they will consider it to be a flick-knife (I ordered this without realising at the time).

Last edited: