Knives & Knife sharpening

So.
Umm.

Ooops.

My stuff arrived today.

Did anybody else's?

I guess that makes up for the folding knife I am fairly sure customs have impounded as they will consider it to be a flick-knife (I ordered this without realising at the time).

LOL! No, nothing for me.

Hmmm, thinking. If the one I ordered from the other supplier turns up OK along with the two that the original supplier claimed they sent - that could be Christmas sorted for some difficult to buy for male family members! :D

LOL! No, nothing for me.

Hmmm, thinking. If the one I ordered from the other supplier turns up OK along with the two that the original supplier claimed they sent - that could be Christmas sorted for some difficult to buy for male family members! :D

It comes in a nice green DPM material bag, so is definitely aimed at the male end of the market.

SYD ordered 1st followed by Mark followed by me and Egg gets the gear. Maybe you could organise a "Travelling Knife Sharpening system" EGG . :)

Mark please let us know if your second supplier comes good as I still want one of these.

Mark please let us know if your second supplier comes good as I still want one of these.

Yep - will do. If I can use it - anybody can!

Dunno if I linked this earlier in the thread (CBF'd checking the whole thing) but for those interested this is a link to the manual for the legit EdgePro Apex. Very handy as the two devices (Pro & Faux) are all but identical - and also contains some excellent sharpening information/concepts even if you don't have this device and used another methodology (eg freehand with whetstone).

Egg, it'll feel very awkward at first - so go VERY slow, let the stone do the cutting not your own pressure/speed, and practice on crap knives first. Also get used to using the marker to gauge if you're making a proper consistent bevel. Is a hassle but well worth while.

You did link the manual. I've looked at it and watched the Edge Pro videos -very helpful.

I just want one to arrive now!

What is the oil for that is supposed to come with the package?

Mine leaked all over the instructions so I couldn't work it out.

What is the oil for that is supposed to come with the package? Mine leaked all over the instructions so I couldn't work it out.

Oil? I didn't receive any of that with mine. But I'd assume that its meant to use with the stones (some stones are best suited to use with oil as a lube, others with water or a weak detergent solution and yet others dry).

Personally I'd try and avoid using with the oil as it'll make a heck of a mess - haha though it sounds like you've already got that sorted. ;)

You've got to rinse off or use a lube type material whilst using the stones or they can clog with the filings etc. Haha ok queue the KY jelly jokes eh.

Water with a lil detergent in it works quite well, is pretty common sense stuff so I'm sure you'll be fine with it.

Smack my ass and call me Mabel

It has arrived - complete in its nifty camoflage case - all intact and no oil spillage. Humidity being at about 10000 per cent in Sydney at the moment, not the night to try, but the weekend promises cooler weather so I expect by Sunday night to have a collection of the sharpest knives in the country. Good luck the rest of you waiting. They seem to be arriving in reverse ordered order which means Mark should be next (with his 17) and then Syd. I am tempted to tell them it has arrived but the bank must be really slow with the money.:)

So Mabel (I'll leave the rest of your request to others)

When I get my two should I pay or should they be free since they took so long!

I am actually going to pay, but I will inform them that the payment is coming by return pigeon (in fact the very one they sent the goods with) and see how patient they are.
I am a bit concerned though - I just read the manual and it seemed to be full of "pull on this while you push this maintaining a pythagagorean angle between your toes and your left nut".
I am sure it is all straightfoward once I have reread and studied appropriately.

A couple of questions.
The Edge Faux.
The stones if comes with, are they useful at all? Is the system still compatible with the Edge Pro? (I'm assuming so - but you know what they say)

Is it possible to hone a Straight Razor with this device?

I've seen a video of the Wicked Edge in use and the guy used a stone panel thing with leather on it - basically stropping the blade. It was practically sharpened to a mirror finish!. The Wicked Edge system is faster as you sharpen both sides at the same rate and almost the same time. Though it is double the price as you need 2 stones either side of the blade.

Basically what I am asking is Nick (Much Older & Wiser Nick) is the Faux system worthy of the Faux Price tag? Are the stones useless?

The stones if comes with, are they useful at all?
I'm sure this is covered in this thread and its done exceptionally comprehensively in the WP thread. Yes.

Is the system still compatible with the Edge Pro? (I'm assuming so - but you know what they say)
See above reply.

Is it possible to hone a Straight Razor with this device?
I'd be amazed if you couldn't - I've personally done everything from a 3cm long blade to a Canadian fighting knife in mine (think a mid-sized machete).

I've seen a video of the Wicked Edge in use and the guy used a stone panel thing with leather on it - basically stropping the blade. It was practically sharpened to a mirror finish!. The Wicked Edge system is faster as you sharpen both sides at the same rate and almost the same time. Though it is double the price as you need 2 stones either side of the blade.
Double the price of the legit EP - or around 9 times the EF........so dunno how relevant this is to the EF as its like discussing the merits of a Ferrari vs a Great Wall ute. FWIW if speed is the focus powered options will go a lot quicker again, but for something thats done once every few months AT MOST I fail to see speed being very high up the features list. Maybe other users are better but I'd think most people would have their hands full doing one side at a time properly let alone 2.

The same strops/glass mounts etc are available for the EP platform.

Basically what I am asking is Nick (Much Older & Wiser Nick) is the Faux system worthy of the Faux Price tag? Are the stones useless?
Ummmmm.......well I bought one and I publically recommended it to others both here and on WP. Actions speak louder than words, so honestly if I have to answer this its prolly going to be superfluous.

Last edited:
I guess I'm buying one, and will be doing research on what extra stones (if any) I should buy.

Cheers Nick.

//Edit: I have ordered a sharpener, and threw in a couple of other things from the seller for good measure.

Last edited:
Mine arrived as well. Nifty camo bag, no spill with the oil but one of the suction cups on the legs doesn't screw in properly - should be easy fix.