Knives & Knife sharpening

I'M SOLD

This is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Best bit of kit I've ever used!

OK, so the suction cap on the foot keep falling off and the slider on the rod with paint marks wouldn't lock for a while. Once I got it sorted though - I could sharpen a knife!

Probably not to expert standard, Nick would probably be disgusted, but it is SOOOOOOO much better than the blunt thing it was before.

Seemed to take forever on 180 to get an edge but after that it quickened up and before you know it the baby was sharp? How sharp? Sharp enough to slice some skin off without me feeling it when I was washing off the marker from the edge

People if I can use this - anybody can!

Thanks Nick - I owe you for a great suggestion

Last edited:
I'M SOLD

This is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Best bit of kit I've ever used!

OK, so the suction cap on the foot keep falling off and the slider on the rod with paint marks would lock for a while. Once I got it sorted though - I could sharpen a knife!

Probably not to expert standard, Nick would probably be disgusted, but it is SOOOOOOO much better than the blunt thing it was before.

Seemed to take forever on 180 to get an edge but after that it quickened up and before you know it the baby was sharp? How sharp? Sharp enough to slice some skin off without me feeling it when I was washing off the marker from the edge

People if I can use this - anybody can!

Thanks Nick - I owe you for a great suggestion

Thats great news Mark, sensational work mate! The technique comes along with use so if you're anything like me now that you've seen the potential of the device you'll be sharpening people's knives for them and looking for things to do around the house etc. I'll tell you one thing that you'll notice now is that 99% of people get by using dead blunt and horrible knives.........blows my mind given that a knife's sole purpose is to cut....but yes prepare to be horrified.

Quick tip on the suction caps......you're right that they're reluctant to stick on certain surfaces. I've found that getting the glass plate out of the microwave and using that as a work tray is great (the tray itself almost has little rounded feet, so I put a dab of rubber contact cement on them and allowed to dry - so that it has a nice tacky nature to it). Is great as it captures all the water and dust etc. Otherwise folks get a cheap 'cookie tray' - flat, low rim baking tray to use.

I also find that applying a thin coating of lube oil or silicon spray to the moving parts assists in getting a nice smooth movement all the time. Just go careful on tightening anything thats got plastic as part of the joint.

Also after use make sure you soak or rinse off the stones to get all the muck out.

Great to hear you're marking the knives, can be a bit painful at first but once you get the hang you'll find that one marking each side is enough to confirm if you're angle is on or how much metal you're looking at removing.

Remember right angle for right knives too.....always better for domestic use going a lil more obtuse than acute, unless you've very high quality knives. And yes, as mentioned earlier and you've confirmed the 180grit stone is the weak link, so patience is needed with it. Thankfully whilst crappy it's very long lasting.

Great to hear you've had so much success, I salute you on it - thanks for sharing. :)

Hmm, that's quite high praise there Mark.

Quick question- is there any reason this sharpener couldn't be used on non-kitchen knives? For example, I'm very partial to these:
Opinel knife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Got two of them. Fantastic carbon steel knives. I've never really had to sharpen them much. Just keep'm dry and run a steel over them occasionally. That's the beauty of carbon steel knives. Thinner, harder and more flexible. If I could find a decent carbon steel kitchen utility knife I wouldn't need to use any stainless steel ones at all.

Got two of them. Fantastic carbon steel knives. I've never really had to sharpen them much. Just keep'm dry and run a steel over them occasionally. That's the beauty of carbon steel knives. Thinner, harder and more flexible. If I could find a decent carbon steel kitchen utility knife I wouldn't need to use any stainless steel ones at all.

Excellent. I actually remember my grandpa having one years ago, but it wasn't until the weekend I realised you could still buy them. I ordered two- one for myself and one for a friend. Hopefully he'll appreciate it- I'm a firm believer in every man needing at least one good knife.

Edit: just reading the wikipedia page:

Pablo Picasso used an Opinel to carve his sculptures, while Roger Frison-Roche, the Savoyard alpine guide and mountaineer, never made an ascent without carrying an Opinel along. Éric Tabarly, the long-distance solo sailor and yachtsman, swore by the Opinel, which he always carried aboard his sailing yacht, the Pen Duick.

Cool!

Last edited:
Thats great news Mark, sensational work mate! The technique comes along with use so if you're anything like me now that you've seen the potential of the device you'll be sharpening people's knives for them and looking for things to do around the house etc. I'll tell you one thing that you'll notice now is that 99% of people get by using dead blunt and horrible knives.........blows my mind given that a knife's sole purpose is to cut....but yes prepare to be horrified.

I knew that my knives were well overdue for a sharpen - was planning on getting them done in June then things slipped then this thread came along and then I've been waiting ....

My technique is probably all wrong and the results not perfect but from my previous watching of the videos and glancing through the English section of the manual that came with it I got the job done. There is certainly room for improvement - and a few knives to practice on ...

Quick tip on the suction caps......you're right that they're reluctant to stick on certain surfaces. I've found that getting the glass plate out of the microwave and using that as a work tray is great (the tray itself almost has little rounded feet, so I put a dab of rubber contact cement on them and allowed to dry - so that it has a nice tacky nature to it). Is great as it captures all the water and dust etc. Otherwise folks get a cheap 'cookie tray' - flat, low rim baking tray to use.

The issue was not the suction but that the screw in the suction cap that screws into the plastic base was too small/worn to stay in the hole in the base. Pick up the base and it falls out. With the system on the bench you don't notice it, just something to bug you until you fix it. When I then couldn't tighten the pivot to stay in one place .....

I also find that applying a thin coating of lube oil or silicon spray to the moving parts assists in getting a nice smooth movement all the time. Just go careful on tightening anything thats got plastic as part of the joint.

Also after use make sure you soak or rinse off the stones to get all the muck out.

Good idea with the oil although it runs pretty smoothly as is. I'm still a little suspect about the overall build quality but it does the job.

Great to hear you're marking the knives, can be a bit painful at first but once you get the hang you'll find that one marking each side is enough to confirm if you're angle is on or how much metal you're looking at removing.

YES! I would say marking is essential when starting out for dumbies like me. Almost makes it fool proof.

Remember right angle for right knives too.....always better for domestic use going a lil more obtuse than acute, unless you've very high quality knives. And yes, as mentioned earlier and you've confirmed the 180grit stone is the weak link, so patience is needed with it. Thankfully whilst crappy it's very long lasting.

I may well have taken too much metal off but at least now I have an edge and can work with that. There was not much of an edge there before!

Great to hear you've had so much success, I salute you on it - thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks again for highlighting it - it really is good stuff.

Hmm, that's quite high praise there Mark.

Well it is something that does actually work! Not like those silly things you see on TV. The difference in sharpness was amazing AND I know I can keep them sharp into the future consistently.

Quick question- is there any reason this sharpener couldn't be used on non-kitchen knives? For example, I'm very partial to these:
Opinel knife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh dear, I can feel another AD coming on :amazed:

This place seems pretty reasonable price wise ...

UPDATE: My second system arrived. This is the one that I purchased from this eBay listing.

I would definitely recommend this second supplier over the first. Same product but in a box and well wrapped in bubble wrap before being put into the plastic postage bag.

They also provided a coupon code '5%ebay2012' to use on their website. They have the sharpening system listed there as well, see here. With the coupon code it becomes $26.59 shipped airmail - not bad.

Oh dear, I can feel another AD coming on :amazed:

This place seems pretty reasonable price wise ...

UPDATE: My second system arrived. This is the one that I purchased from this eBay listing.

I would definitely recommend this second supplier over the first. Same product but in a box and well wrapped in bubble wrap before being put into the plastic postage bag.

They also provided a coupon code '5%ebay2012' to use on their website. They have the sharpening system listed there as well, see here. With the coupon code it becomes $26.59 shipped airmail - not bad.

Mark, if you are keen to buy an Opinel, the cheapest place I can find is...Peters of Kensington! :eek:mg:
Peter's of Kensington | Opinel - No. 8 Pocket Knife $15 for the stainless steel No. 8 is about $10 cheaper than most places.

So, you have two of these knife sharpeners? Does that mean you need to sell one to...someone? :amuse:

Quick question- is there any reason this sharpener couldn't be used on non-kitchen knives? [/url]

As mentioned earlier in the thread I've personally used on everything from a ~3cm blade on a pen knife to a ~45cm Canadian fighting knife. So if it needs an kind of a blade you'll almost certainly be able to sharpen it on this system. With a few mods you can even do scissors! (google search for that one if it interests you)

That's the beauty of carbon steel knives. Thinner, harder and more flexible.
Unsure if you're now talking about the Opinel model of knife itself as thinner has nothing to do with the steel itself as I'm relatively sure there's absolutely no reason a 'stainless steel' knife can't be made to the same dimensions as anything from carbon steel. Carbon steel isn't anywhere as common as stainless steel in domestic knives and for good reason as it'd be a horrible match with 95%+ of consumers who somehow still manage to find a way to destroy/rust/chip their more forgiving stainless steel knives.

Again I'm not being a ticky tack one but carbon steel isn't harder than SS varieties but I know what you're implying and as a general rule of thumb the carbon steel knives in circulation have a higher average HRC than those of the average SS ones. Flexibility again I think really largely depends on the particular alloy of steel in question and perhaps moreso the model of knife itself....steels are a really varied and complex area - really hard to generalise and say this is better than that unless you're doing it for a very specific need.

So whilst carbon knives are great in many ways I think that they're a bad idea for most folks....especially if using in your kitchen. For a non-kitchen knife thats another thing all together and they're MUCH more suited to this. Carbon knives have too many issues with acidic foods to work for most folks and they're best suited to people who really care for their knives. There's a few hybrid alloy ones that have the attributes of carbon whilst being relatively non-reactive but I think the average user would be better suited going for a high end SS alloy instead like AEB-L (the Artifex range of knives from Chef Knives to Go are amongst the best buys in the world).

If you want a carbon steel utility knife (I assume for the kitchen) I can assure you that you'll find nothing better than this. You can find on Ebay as well, I've bought 2 for people in a group buy and it's an absolute laser cutter! Amazing tool......the whole Tojiro Shirogami line is amazing value so if you like your carbon steel knives you will find it very hard to beat them for value.

These and Tojiro's DP line are both superb value...their high end stuff that's endorsed by Heston 'Bloomingheck' is overrated and no where near as good as the value the other lines offer. They have some excellent DP models without a bolster, which is actually really VERY nice to use as it reduces the weight massively, so don't be put off by this (we raised on German/French knife styles assume no bolster means its a bad knife but isn't this way with a lot of Jap stuff, even their western ones).

Last edited:
I'm sure there are stainless steel varieties that can rival carbon steel but on the whole I haven't come across any that are affordable. The humble Opinel as a paring knife is in a different league to any generally available SS paring knife I've ever had (and I've had a few). This one for instance. Is literally wafer thin and too sharp to shave with! Wouldn't dream of buying that in stainless. Call me old fashioned but only the best knives rust.

In a previous life I was a traditional wooden boat builder and I've got a shed full of every woodworking tool you can imagine and not one of them is or ever was or ever will be made of stainless. I'm not saying that woodworking is the same as cutting veggies but the cutting edge of carbon steel at the very tip is just harder. Don't know how else to describe it. Admittedly stainless steel kitchen knives are a lot better than they used to be, but they're still an attempt to be as good or as easy to use and sharpen. The acid food thing I haven't had much problems with. All you have to do is rinse the knife a few times during use.

Thanks for the link. I've never really considered Japanese knives (by the way, their woodworking tools are also out of this world) because they're just too expensive. This link doesn't seem too bad price wise. I've seen a few in knife shops and some of them have different bevels. Handed sometimes too. If I could find a carbon steel knife this size that has a standard bevel I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Mark, if you are keen to buy an Opinel, the cheapest place I can find is...Peters of Kensington! :eek:mg:
Peter's of Kensington | Opinel - No. 8 Pocket Knife $15 for the stainless steel No. 8 is about $10 cheaper than most places.

So, you have two of these knife sharpeners? Does that mean you need to sell one to...someone? :amuse:

Of course, Peters of Kensington - should have thought of them ....

Yes I have two with the second one definitely a better packed one - and probably a good Christmas gift for my brother! :)

Use the code and get one - they are good

I'm sure there are stainless steel varieties that can rival carbon steel but on the whole I haven't come across any that are affordable..
Yes, you're right but this is because carbon steel in consumer oriented knives is very much a niche market and therefore you're only looking at a tiny % of the consumers that would even consider them...especially in the west. In the rest of the world carbon steel knives are much more affordable & widely used.

In a previous life I was a traditional wooden boat builder and I've got a shed full of every woodworking tool you can imagine and not one of them is or ever was or ever will be made of stainless. Oh you're 100% correct of course, I'm not saying that woodworking is the same as cutting veggies but the cutting edge of carbon steel at the very tip is just harder. Don't know how else to describe it.
No you're 100% right, but as a boat builder you know its all about using the right tool for the right job. Carbon steel is brilliant for tools, its qualities shine & its weaknesses aren't shown up. Saying carbon steel is harder than SS is kinda apples with oranges - as there's so many grades and varieties that its meaningless unless one knows what you're comparing with what exactly.

Most consumer stainless steels are relatively soft - and for good reason as the average user (no-one in this forum) is, with all due respect to them - morons and therefore need a knife that will put up with the ghastly treatment they give it. Hence being relatively 'soft' (HRC in the mid to low 50's) is a good thing. Giving them a 62HRC knife would be a disaster as it'd work great for a little while but in no time they'd have broken off the tip, chipped the blade up and down by cutting frozen food and bones etc. I can tell you know your stuff and also respect your items, but a LOT of other people simply don't and hence they need to be given items which are commensurate with their skills/care level for their own protection.

The number of times I've seen people buy expensive knives thinking that the knives would basically 'take care of themselves' and end up ruining them by the above mentioned mistreatment plus letting them get completely blunt, then destroying the edge by resharpening on their $5 cheapie sharpener or at Mr Minute or the angle grinder their Uncle has etc - and then they whinge about the knives being a rip off and they were no better than the $30 K-Mart cheapies they had before! Kind of amusing to see them blame everything but the real problem, themselves.

Admittedly stainless steel kitchen knives are a lot better than they used to be, but they're still an attempt to be as good or as easy to use and sharpen.
There are a lot of high end SS alloys around if one wants to pay for them but they can be kind of expensive. I'd imagine the mid-market consumer stuff is pretty static - I know the main grade of steel used by Wusthof, Victorinox, Henkels etc has been in use for many years. It works, does the job well for average consumers so no need changing. I'm sure 20+yrs ago their was some really soft steels in the SS domain that would have been best used for dessert spoons rather than carving knives. Carbon steel is a dream to sharpen and doesn't offer any tricks the way many varients of SS steel can.

The acid food thing I haven't had much problems with. All you have to do is rinse the knife a few times during use.
Really depends on what you eat, and if you're respectful of your tools as you are it'll never be a problem - but people just don't do this. I do, but I'm weird. But most folks use the knife and then chuck it in the sink or dishwasher. They're terrible to their tools. Because you've been good from day 1 you'd have a nice patina on your knives protecting them - whereas the average user never gets this built up and so wonders why it's started rusting only a few hours after they used it.

Thanks for the link. I've never really considered Japanese knives (by the way, their woodworking tools are also out of this world) because they're just too expensive. This link doesn't seem too bad price wise. I've seen a few in knife shops and some of them have different bevels. Handed sometimes too. If I could find a carbon steel knife this size that has a standard bevel I'd be happy.
Ah thats ok - CKTG is very good BUT their shipping costs are bad (think $USD30 for a single knife) - hence I arranged a group buy to them a few months back. If you just want to buy a couple of knives I've suggest looking at Japanese Chef's Knife, as they have a flat shipping cost of $7 or so. Mainly stainless stuff but some carbons in there...they are nice stuff so not on the cheap side.

Alternatively this Ebay seller is well known in the knife community and has some very well priced items with affordable postage. If you like your carbon steel you will not be able to go past the Tojiro Shirogami range.....its top shelf steel at a bargain price. You could get the Petty (which is the Japanese utility knife) in 120 or 150mm for well under $50 posted. Rest assured they'd amazing in every way apart from a reasonably basic handle but hence the price. :)

Yes, you're right a lot of Jap knives do come with non-50/50 bevels or single sided ones - which does make them technically superior at cutting BUT a bit of a tricky one to sharpen. But you'll find most good vendors will state this in their listing plus I also check the Tojiro website (which is very interesting in its own right) as well.

Last edited:
If I could find a carbon steel knife this size that has a standard bevel I'd be happy.
You owe me one as this is exactly what you wanted. Just check with the seller that its not a single sided bevel but am 99% certain that it isn't as they rarely do that with Gyuto's. GORGEOUS KNIFE...having to hold off getting one myself.

Under $70 delivered and would out perform almost anything regardless of price.

I've seen people get high end handles put on these so they've got a real show piece. Sometimes the finish of the steel can be a lil rustic (which is kind of the desired look anyway) but the edge itself is always like a laser.

That's seriously tempting.

Haha you mean you're not going to buy it? C'mon man, I thought you wanted bang on that description and I nailed the brief. I thought we had a deal? ;)

But seriously, I've handled the 120mm Petty from the same range and it was amazing.....legitimately scary sharp OOTB. This range has a big cult following in the knife community - I'm actually very surprised that this seller has this model as it's exactly the same as the ITK range that CKTG have and thats meant to be exclusive to them - and I've asked the seller if he could get these before and he told me he couldn't.....hence I bought the Artifex instead.

Heck of a knife for the money and joke money postage costs as well (which is always a bonus) - well known seller. He's only got a few of them so don't snooze on it long or I might grab one and there's a lurker or two in here as well. :amazed:

Well PJ I don't know if that was you who bought the 2nd last one left 10 minutes ago but it was me buying the LAST one left about a minute ago.

My argument made too much sense even to me and I know how hard these are to find, the seller only put them up a few days ago so he might not be stocking again based on the conversations I've had with him before. Had to grab one, crazy knife and incredible tool for that money.

That's just shocking what you did there. Enabling on an almost criminal scale. Yes, I bought it. It's a Christmas present but nobody knows they've just bought it for me. Now go away!

Last edited:
That's just shocking what you did there. Enabling on an almost criminal scale. Yes, I bought it. It's a Christmas present but nobody knows they've just bought it for me. Now go away!

Shocking? Haha I found you a cracking buy and to show you I wasn't full of shitzen grabbed one myself. Haha I'm not feeling the love. Xmas eh? Nice, nothing says happy holidays like 61HRC top end Japanese white steel!

I'll give you a guarantee now every time you use it you're going to think WHY did I not get one of these years ago! Comes in a sexy lil box too, the Japanese know how to make you feel good about your purchases - prepare to be blown away by how light it is, you'll think something must be wrong that such a significant knife can be featherlike.

Oh, nice lil sidenote, 210mm is the most popular size for chef's knives (which is what a Gyuto is, just the Jap version) - they generally outsell the 240mm versions by around 5-6x volume - thats according to CKTG. So a great size for folks to get, might seem big at first but use a proper pinch grip and all of a sudden you'll be thinking maybe the 240mm wasn't that oversized.

Shocking? Haha I found you a cracking buy and to show you I wasn't full of shitzen grabbed one myself. Haha I'm not feeling the love. Xmas eh? Nice, nothing says happy holidays like 61HRC top end Japanese white steel!

I'll give you a guarantee now every time you use it you're going to think WHY did I not get one of these years ago! Comes in a sexy lil box too, the Japanese know how to make you feel good about your purchases - prepare to be blown away by how light it is, you'll think something must be wrong that such a significant knife can be featherlike.

Oh, nice lil sidenote, 210mm is the most popular size for chef's knives (which is what a Gyuto is, just the Jap version) - they generally outsell the 240mm versions by around 5-6x volume - thats according to CKTG. So a great size for folks to get, might seem big at first but use a proper pinch grip and all of a sudden you'll be thinking maybe the 240mm wasn't that oversized.

What it will replace is my 180mm chef's knife so it's the perfect size. I hope it's light. You really don't want the knife you use the most to be heavy and unwieldy.

Well PJ I don't know if that was you who bought the 2nd last one left 10 minutes ago but it was me buying the LAST one left about a minute ago. ... Had to grab one, crazy knife and incredible tool for that money.

And the rest of us ....

Gee whiz, not feeling the love here. Glad I've not got this AD too!

And the rest of us ....

Gee whiz, not feeling the love here. Glad I've not got this AD too!

Yeah, stay clear of it. Knives? Love? Don't really go together. MInd you, this is the only "must have" knife I've ever bought. Correction...that my kids have bought me for Christmas.