Madness?

I wouldn't mind. I just need to figure out how big a step to take.

Thinking of shaving an entire month using a razor I honed myself, also toying with shaving every day rather than every 3-4 days. Afraid the combo will result in me getting shredded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind. I just need to figure out how big a step to take.

Thinking of shaving an entire month using a razor I honed myself, also toying with shaving every day rather than every 3-4 days. Afraid the combo will result in me getting shredded.
As someone who hones for himself and others and needs to shave every day, I'd caution against this approach - daily straight shaves can be super challenging by Wednesday. .. by Friday you'll need time off.

As someone who hones for himself and others and needs to shave every day, I'd caution against this approach - daily straight shaves can be super challenging by Wednesday. .. by Friday you'll need time off.

I am hoping if I shave with the same blade it would force me to hone it well. Or at least keep at it.
What do you do? Straight shave on weekends?

If you use coticules then I'd say possible. If jnats or synthetics then let me know so I have enough popcorn

I am hoping if I shave with the same blade it would force me to hone it well. Or at least keep at it.
If you use coticules then I'd say possible. If jnats or synthetics then let me know so I have enough popcorn

Sorry, but I gotta say that's one of the worst ideas ever, at least for me. It's the very antithesis of what I enjoy about this hobby. Know what comes to mind? The scene in Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange where they force the guy to watch scenes of violence and depravity for hours on end while not allowing him to close his eyes or even blink. But, hey, y'all have fun.

Well there is that. There is a reason this thread is titled "Madness?".

I guy I know decided to break a few Guinness world records. First was "number of vertical meters climbed on a push bike in 12hrs". So he rode up and down a 350m long hill for 12hrs non stop. He smashed the record. Then he wanted a real challenge - longest distance travelled on a mountain bike in 6, 12, & 24hrs. So he rode a mountain bike around a 400m velodrome for 24hrs. In order to break all three records, he would have to ride at 6hr pace for the first 6, 12hr pace from the next, and then 24hr pace for the remainder. Anyone going for only the 25hr record could ride slower at the start to better meter their energy for the duration. He would be going too fast initially! He smashed all three of those totalling 1007km - in 24hrs!! Denying yourself choice in shaving gear for 30days isn't really madness next to things such as this. It is merely testing your addiction to choice.

If you use coticules then I'd say possible. If jnats or synthetics then let me know so I have enough popcorn.

I could get 30 shaves without a hone - easy. And yes, I only own a Jnat so it would be on that, and no, I don't use pastes - just a plain strop. That said, I don't see a reason why you couldn't hone the blade during the month so long as it's only on the same stones each time (if it's done more than once).

I can 30 shaves without a hone... using my synth-rocks. All you need is care when stropping before and after each shave, to maintain the blade.

Pardon? You can't string 7 days straight with a SR? Before my recent testing of SE's I had gone several months of daily SR shaves. I surely misunderstand you.

It will come down to how well you can hone, and equally important, strop. If you use the same blade each day, does the edge improve with stropping?

In the early days I was back on the hone after 7 shaves. These days it's weeks, more than three which is the longest I have gone on the one blade with daily shaves (travelling) but the edge is still perfectly fine. Usually I get bored and grab another razor so I can't keep track of exactly how many shave I get between hones.

If you start the challenge, go with a SR and hone it as required. You are testing your "desert island kit" which includes a hone.

I am 100% In,with my humble 34c and Feather.
The idea of the banner appeals to me too.
When do we notify,re our setup?I have already begun to narrow the field for the soaps,including,gasp,a brushless candidate.

Pardon? You can't string 7 days straight with a SR? Before my recent testing of SE's I had gone several months of daily SR shaves. I surely misunderstand you.
I can but my face is very tired by the 7th day. I seriously don't think I could do 28 uninterrupted days

I am 100% In,with my humble 34c and Feather.
The idea of the banner appeals to me too.
When do we notify,re our setup?I have already begun to narrow the field for the soaps,including,gasp,a brushless candidate.

Flagellation February starts in 7 days, so before then!

Brushless? I read post on FB someone was asking about lathering with a shave stick and no brush whilst travelling. I reckon it's more than possible. When I use Arko I'm frequently adding water to the stick to get it to smear around. The result is the soap is quite wet and I don't need much water to get it to lather. That is very slick and good enough to shave off - probably - if you have to. I certainly have to be very careful to wash my hands of all traces before I pick up a razor or brush.

Just read through all of this thread and I'm very close to declaring myself in!
It is nice to have a little challenge and being someone that actually enjoys routine I find it kind of an appealing idea to eliminate choice for a while. It would be interesting to see how long that feeling lasts though. o_O

@todras idea with sponsoring sounds fantastic - any Adelaide boys doing this - I would sponsor with 100$ - 150$ if the chosen charity is Lung Cancer

@todras idea with sponsoring sounds fantastic - any Adelaide boys doing this - I would sponsor with 100$ - 150$ if the chosen charity is Lung Cancer
I was in no way interested until just now.

Only problem for me is that I am going away for a week. That means I would either have to stick to travel set for the whole month or take some prized items away with me.....