November 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of blades must have given me a brain snap - so I snapped up.............

You've been lost ever since you (nearly) completed your Gillette collection. Don't get sucked in to blades! What are they like anyhow? What's the gossip.

You've been lost ever since you (nearly) completed your Gillette collection.

Yes, a little [sigh]

Don't get sucked in to blades!

But RM promised it wouldn't hurt me

What are they like anyhow? What's the gossip.

No idea. Should I use or leave as a 'rare' collectible?

......Should I use or leave as a 'rare' collectible?

Personally I'd somehow sneak one out and give it a try. I tried one 40yr old blade and it lasted 10mm of one stroke. It was wrapped but not in a sealed box. Don't know. Can't get my head around the idea of collectable DE blades myself.

Personally I'd somehow sneak one out and give it a try. I tried one 40yr old blade and it lasted 10mm of one stroke. It was wrapped but not in a sealed box. Don't know. Can't get my head around the idea of collectable DE blades myself.

I might look around my bits and peices - might just have a box of these somewhere anyway!

It's been a fairly good month so far. On the way:

-2 x Flair tip Superspeeds (I've already got a few of these, but they were very cheap and I enjoy fixing them up)
-1 x Black tip Superspeed (don't own one of these yet)
-1 x Edwin Jagger Barley DE89BA11 (Was going to get a 34C, but this razor just looks amazing!)

You're right. However if I come across a blade that ain't so, I'll wax lyrical. I know folks, send me your shittiest blades. I'm sure you've all got a 5 pack of Bluntsvilles you can let me try. At least it'll give me something else to say. Or maybe not.

Once I have finished my initial testing and provided they surpass the slick schick I am quite happy to flick a couple your way. If they exceed much of a muchness we can look at swaps for greater quantities.

@Ben -the EJ in Barley Chrome is a stunner!

I've not received it yet and in fact the seller hasn't even agreed to ship to me but I'm SOOOOOOO excited that I have to posta about it.

I won this - 'Rasoir Securite Gilette Vintage'

Now I think that the razor is not a Gillette but a clone. So I'm basically buying the case. Postage could be 24 euros so why have I paid 50 euros or $70 just for a case?

Apart from being nuts this is one of the early Gillette cases with the sideways latch. Used for Double Rings and early Single Rings. Of itself that gives the case value BUT...

the ribbon in these cases is normally for Times Square, Chicago or Boston. Look at the address on this one 20 Minories London UK - right in the heart of London.

This gentlemen is the case for one of the very early (pre-1906) Double or Single Rings sold through the Gillette London office.

I'm not posting anything YKW until it is in my hands but I'm not aware of anybody having one of these ...

[insert happy dance here]

Please cross your fingers everybody that there is not problems and it arrives safely!

EDIT:

Been in touch with the seller, he is happy to ship to Australia. Cost me a smidge over $70 but I'm still smiling!

Last edited:
@Ben -the EJ in Barley Chrome is a stunner!

That's my daily shaver, and I struggle to want anything more.

Congrats on the case, I used to work near the Minories, and there were a few nice pubs around there.

It's been a fairly good month so far. On the way:

-2 x Flair tip Superspeeds (I've already got a few of these, but they were very cheap and I enjoy fixing them up)
-1 x Black tip Superspeed (don't own one of these yet)
-1 x Edwin Jagger Barley DE89BA11 (Was going to get a 34C, but this razor just looks amazing!)

That EJ 89 is a nice looking bit of razor.

I don't need another one....someone stop me

Cool Mark, ...... $70 for a case lol.

You are in deeeep my friend!

Hope it arrives safe and sound.

But it is not just any case ...

[still happy dancing]

That EJ 89 is a nice looking bit of razor.

I don't need another one....someone stop me

It's just a case of being able to rationalise the purchase.

Wife: You bought ANOTHER razor?!
Me: Yes, but I also sold one and gave one away, so I've actually got one less!

(I sold my EJ Chrome, and gave away a Yuma that bestshave sent me by mistake. Although personally I consider the Yuma to only count for about .3 of a proper razor).

Cool Mark, ...... $70 for a case lol.

You are in deeeep my friend!

Hope it arrives safe and sound.

In Marks defence, with vintage collections, cases are rarer than the contents. Even with double and single rings sets I'm sure that in comparison the actual razors are a dime a dozen. On the other hand, to somebody not mainlining aristocrats, snorting single rings and smoking khaki sets, it's a ridiculous price to pay for a tiny, tatty lookin', 100yr old box. But he's happy......and dancing!

Last edited:
Yes I've got it bad and I am in deep BUT Pete nailed it on the head in relation to the importance of cases AND I would rather it be saved than trashed.

(still happy dancing too - jsut hope it is in good condition when it arrives)

In Marks defence, with vintage collections, cases are rarer than the contents. Even with double and single rings sets I'm sure that in comparison the actual razors are a dime a dozen. On the other hand, to somebody not mainlining aristocrats, snorting single rings and smoking khaki sets, it's a ridiculous price to pay for a tiny, tatty lookin', 100yr old box. But he's happy......and dancing!

No I 100% agree, but if I can't take the piss, what fun can I really have!

I'm just jealous that my Mrs wont let me spend $ on shaving kit! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.