November 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how you do it.

All purchases get delivered to your work. You have a second bank account for shaving expenses.
Anything you bring home was a pif or such a bargain that really it didn't cost much at all.

Here's how you do it.

All purchases get delivered to your work. You have a second bank account for shaving expenses.
Anything you bring home was a pif or such a bargain that really it didn't cost much at all.

I have played the pif angle extensively lol
I'm now on the whole ”asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission!"

No I 100% agree, but if I can't take the piss, what fun can I really have!

Exactly!

I'm just jealous that my Mrs wont let me spend $ on shaving kit! :(

I'm on the verge of seeing your problem

Here's how you do it.

I have played the pif angle extensively lol
I'm now on the whole ”asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission!"

The only viable solution is the one I mentioned here - but you can't have mine!!!!!

Last edited:
8166356397_53dacbd7af.jpg

All from westcoastshaving

Merkur 1904 OC
DR Harris Arlington Soap (30% off)
Omega 'Bambino' Silvertip #599

There is no viable solution?

Or was that a technical difficulty?

LOL - technical difficulty!. Click on the link now!

Ordered a new bowl of TOBS Jermyn Street and St James shaving creams last night, along with 100 Personna Reds (Israelis).
Nearly pulled the trigger on the Semogue Owners Club Badger in Cherry, but couldn't do it with car rego, racv and Christmas all in the next 6 weeks.

Ordered a Vie-Long 12705. Arrived yesterday, very happy with it from first inspection - will post a brief review on it in a lil while, though I've not used it yet (was glueing the super magnet on the handle's underside yesterday as is my modus operandi with all brushes so they can hang from my lil shaving stand to dry).

IMG_0292.jpg

In short though...much better quality than expected.....massive difference in quality to the #6 'Donkey' from BestShave.

On an interesting note despite requesting that the loft be altered to 54mm (from stock of 58mm) they sent me it in 58mm! No big deal as having felt the bristles than 54mm would be too short, but it's not a great look to offer such a service and then just not do it. Perhaps it was an oversight but that again isn't a great look. Otherwise the service was ok - no paper invoice included - which is kinda poor but they did include a nice lil sample of Proraso(overrated IMHO - haha I know thats tantamount to heressy here but I didn't find it any better than Arko etc).

Looking forward to using it as the reviews of it were that it did as well as anything in Vie-Long's range and at a very entry level price. I can't imagine the hair grade could be better than this, as its very soft where they've used the mane hair but perhaps the more expensive ones are a tad denser in the packing.

Looking forward to hearing how they go with the Vie-Long, that's a good haul for the month though.

Looking forward to hearing how they go with the Vie-Long, that's a good haul for the month though.

I've had 2 shaves now - so very early days but I do have the opinion of all the MNS soaps I've used so far that they'd perform better with a softer, Badger style brush than something with a lot of backbone like the Omega Boars etc.

They're a relatively soft soap, nothing at all like your MWF's of the world - and they've been significantly 'super fatted' with the extra oils and butters added to the mix after the initial saponification of the primary oils (I've been reading up on my soap making). ;)

Now I no longer have a badger to test this but my softer, droopier brushes have gotten the best results. That said even with the worst lathers I got (which were the initial ones) the slickness of them was through the roof and so it didn't affect the shave - albeit perhaps it missed that tiny bit of 'cushion' but thats being a bit Marco-esque.

The 12705/Peleon was noticeably scratchy on the first use - tiny bit of wet dog smell (though to be honest I don't find this as big a problem as some folks seem to) so I used a strong scented soap with it first 2 times (Bayrum ...then Pine/Cedar) - the scratchyness was gone on the 2nd use. Is a nice lil brush indeed, only a few shed hairs in first uses. The natural brown hair with the handle colour looks very nice...much nicer than bleached ones and especially the faux badger look ones!

I'd read mixed reports on the handle, some folks hated it - but this surprises me as its VERY nice to use. Definitely recommend it.

Polished-Bulldog-2.jpg

Ok I SWEAR black and blue that this is my VERY LAST shaving related purchase in a very, very, very long time.....just ordered a Weber Stainless Steel Polished Head razor (no coatings etc on the head) - all the info on the purchase is in the lil Weber thread I started a while back.

Went for the Bulldog handled version. $USD77 delivered.....did I need it? No, BUT I really have always wanted a SS razor but there's no way I could ever justify paying $180+ for them (Titan, Feather, Tradere, iKon etc).......but for well under 1/2 this price delivered I figure its a luxury I can justify. A basic Merkur 34c will cost atleast $USD46 delivered.....so $30 more for this looks a very good buy.

These are universally tipped to go up SIGNIFICANTLY in cost soon, very surprised they're selling so low....seems a lil amateurish from a business perspective - almost like a hobbyist is running them and doing as a 'love-job'.

Is kind of a blessing that the heads are no-longer coated as would be a PITA if the coating started to degrade (as happened to many folks) - hard to ever envisage an issue with marine grade SS - worst case you'd polish it up with a high grit liquid abrasive etc.

Word is they shave exceptionally well......more aggressive that an EJ DE86 but with that kind of smoothness.

I'll pop a review up when it arrives.

PS. I'm allowed to break that 'no more buys' promise if I sell stuff off.......only logical right?

Just FYI all of the Weber razors are again completely SOLD OUT, doesn't seem like anyone was much interested but you'll have to monitor their Twitter feed if you want to try and order one whenever they're restocked....it took several months last time around so don't go holding your breath. Actions do speak louder than words and they do seem quite sought after especially with the Yanks loving anything that got 'Made in USA' stamped on it.

Just a slide clasp case

With a bit of wear on the bottom:

BUT....

with THAT famous ribbon on the inside! :D

Still doing my happy dance!

(the razor was a clone - not even sure where it is!)

Looking good Mark..... Not sure why but I'm jealous ;)

You will have to venture to the northside one day and check out the collection :amazed:

Bring your wife to put your purchases in perspective!

Status
Not open for further replies.