October 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the usage of bakelite make those very light?

Does the usage of bakelite make those very light?

Absolutely. You've got total control. By far the easiest and most comfortable DE I've used. I bought my first one for the travel container it was in, used it once for a joke and never looked back. I keep recommending it but it'll never catch on I'm afraid. It's plastic and doesn't exactly look racey. Utilitarian describes it best. The only drawback is that the handle will break if some fat luggage handler decides to squeeze your suitcase in to the arse end of a plane.

If you bump in to one it's really worth a try. Cheap as hell (although this latest one isn't!). Stay clear of Wardonia (they produced loads of bakelite razors) because they need a proprietry blade. Gillette also did one that looks identical with a nice big fat base plate and a metal cap.

Last edited:
I have a plastic 70's era US army issue DE (apparently). Never been game enough to try it.

Probably even lighter than the bakelite. You want to try PJ?

Absolutely! Trying to get a bakelite/plastic revival thing happening. It's up there with my efforts to push shit uphill. Let me know when it's convenient and I'll pop round to pick it up.

Likewise SYD for the Simplex razor. Had a quick check and it appears to be an army issue razor as you mentioned. All the models were black (I guess it's an anti refection thing) even to the extent that they had a model with a metal cap which was just painted black. Anyhow I really like the feel of it and look forward to using it, safe in the knowledge that no reflected light is going to give the position of my platoon away to the angry Messerschmitts circling overhead.

I'm trying to convince myself I need another brush (just purchased a Semogue TSN LE the other month, along with my existing Semy1305 and Frank Shaving Finest)
The blades I don't really need, but remembered how smooth they were after using one from the Vintage Blade PIF going around at the moment.
And the creams, well....my tub of Jermyn St is running low and I do want to try the new Coconut one.

shaving cart.jpg

Can never have enough brushes. Why not try a Simpson? If you're considering laying down $68 for a Semoque, you can get some really nice Simmos for that kind money.

Just an idea....but these are a LOT of brush for less than 1/2 what you're looking to spend. Very good reports about them and this guys site in general, add a nice custom handle for a few dollars (amazing they can do a pottery glazed handle for so little!)

Can never have enough brushes. Why not try a Simpson? If you're considering laying down $68 for a Semoque, you can get some really nice Simmos for that kind money.
Looking at shaving.ie There aren't that many Simmos for <$70...Berkley, Case, maybe a Duke 2. Not really a fan of the faux ivory handles, whereas the SOC has a beautiful cherry wood handle.

Just an idea....but these are a LOT of brush for less than 1/2 what you're looking to spend. Very good reports about them and this guys site in general, add a nice custom handle for a few dollars (amazing they can do a pottery glazed handle for so little!)
Not a fan of silvertip brushes and his handles while 'ok' are nothing special. I already have two cheapish brushes too, so the SOC would be a nice 'luxury' brush for me.

Looking at shaving.ie There aren't that many Simmos for <$70...Berkley, Case, maybe a Duke 2. Not really a fan of the faux ivory handles, whereas the SOC has a beautiful cherry wood handle.

The handles don't shave very well...

I think Simpsons Best is better than most silvertips anyhow.

So which of you guys won or just missed out on the Eclipse Red Ring that went for $94 over on Fleabay?

Haha I KNOW that a bunch of ya'll must have bid on it as the silence over here about it in the leadup to the end of the auction was deafening.....I was just an interested onlooker.

Hopefully someone here grabbed it and can jack up the price to squeeze a few extra dollars for our balance of trade out of the Yanks via a YKW sale. I'm a suspicion it might be heading to the ACT.

I don't know what it is about the Eclipse red ring, but I do like the sound of it because it isn't a Gillette.

However the top of that one looked fairly beat up in his photos, and if that is how much a beat up one goes for, then I will never be buying one.

/edit Just noticed I must be the only one here that hasn't traded with you yet. You've been a busy boy since you joined up.

So which of you guys won or just missed out on the Eclipse Red Ring that went for $94 over on Fleabay?

Haha I KNOW that a bunch of ya'll must have bid on it as the silence over here about it in the leadup to the end of the auction was deafening.....I was just an interested onlooker.

Hopefully someone here grabbed it and can jack up the price to squeeze a few extra dollars for our balance of trade out of the Yanks via a YKW sale. I'm a suspicion it might be heading to the ACT.

No not headed to the ACT - I was the runner up ;)

If you are after one, I might just part with this cased one for $A240.....

I thought it looked a little beat up too and didn't want to pay good money to lose it when I already have one

No not headed to the ACT - I was the runner up ;)

If you are after one, I might just part with this cased one for $A240.....

I thought it looked a little beat up too and didn't want to pay good money to lose it when I already have one

I knew you'd be in the mix somewhere. Haha oh thank you but I've got my hands full with my current rotation and I think my conscience would begin to tug at me when I buy more blades, soaps if I dropped that on a razor. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting one of our Dixie whistlin' friends to spring for it in due course.

Yes, even in the condition it was a pretty good price and I'm almost kicking myself I didn't bid more - but it would only have been to sell and I'm a lousy salesman!

I DON'T need duplicates

I DON'T need duplicates

I DON'T need duplicates

I DON'T need duplicates

Just received my P160 (soft version) from Glenos! Thanks mate between the packaging and postage you were definately selling at a loss.

Have some Tabac in the post headed my way for the grand price of $1.50

And that DE leather pouch thing. I'm heading away for a wedding in December so I need something to take the DE in.

Status
Not open for further replies.