October 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own private stash of spoilers.
View attachment 292

I've got a date code anomoly. The outside of the box clearly has 1981 on it, but the code on the blades is PP2, also the packaging looks signifcantly older than RMs 1981 spoillers.

Could 1981 be a product code and the date code is actually 1970?

$1.69 seems to high for blades that old, are they newer? P would put them in 1995, seems to match the price on the packaging.

I've got a date code anomoly. The outside of the box clearly has 1981 on it, but the code on the blades is PP2, also the packaging looks signifcantly older than RMs 1981 spoillers.

Could 1981 be a product code and the date code is actually 1970?

$1.69 seems to high for blades that old, are they newer? P would put them in 1995, seems to match the price on the packaging.

I've never seen a 1981-era box of Spoilers, so it could indeed be a SKU or product code.

Yes, these would be earlier 'Pre-Spoilers'. Technically they are not Spoilers but are Super Stainless. The Spoilers have the Teflon (PTFE) coating and I think these may not. Happy to swap some with you if you like - still an awesome blade.

And the blades were quite expensive back in the day.... they were much higher quality than the modern blades we have today, and you also had them made in England and the US - higher labour costs prevailed. Today we see manufacturing in the lowest-cost labour markets of the world (Russia, India, Egypt, China).

Having lost the blade from RM I thought I would have a shot at these. Much to my amazement I was succesful. $21.00 and postage to eldest son is about $2.00. Now someone tell me I have bought the wrong Spoilers and these are but a pale imitation of the real thing!
GILLETTE Razor in orig. box w/ 95 *the SPOILER* blades +or - | eBay

Never mind at least I am back in my Ebay price bracket. :)

Having lost the blade from RM I thought I would have a shot at these. Much to my amazement I was succesful. $21.00 and postage to eldest son is about $2.00. Now someone tell me I have bought the wrong Spoilers and these are but a pale imitation of the real thing!

I hate you.

Great buy, I'm insanely jealous. Allowing for $35 total after postage to Aus, that's 36c/blade and a free cased Slim.

And yes, they are the real Spoilers. The yellow starburst 'The Spoiler' would be the giveaway.

I hate you.

Great buy, I'm insanely jealous. Allowing for $35 total after postage to Aus, that's 36c/blade and a free cased Slim.

And yes, they are the real Spoilers. The yellow starburst 'The Spoiler' would be the giveaway.

I consider it an absolute honour for Razormonsta to be jeaalous of me over a blade buy. :) I only went looking because I had lost the one that was sent and I liked the Schick so much I fogured if the Spoiler is better I might see what I can find. The seller had a few sales like this one, this was the biggest blade haul. I even offered him a BIN figuring I might get them for 50 60 cents each but he wasn't interested.
I am delighted and can't wait to try them.

I'll be glad when this month is over... it's been quite an expensive one without buying any shaving gear.

New car,
new mobile phone,
new leatherman & knife after I lost both on a field trip
bike lights after pushing my luck riding home in the dark,
new microwave,
oh and there is a car that needs fixing up that I haven't bothered thinking about yet.

Roll on cheap November (when I'll be in Malaysia again, no doubt spending even more money).

Looks like a great find mate, nice to get a freebie razor too.

So far this month I've got Gillette Maltese Plats, Polsilvers of both varieties, Super Iridiums and a Fatboy. Four colognes/EDT's and a Russian blade sampler on the way. I was trying to be good and suppress my impulse buys this month. I failed. I still haven't bought a cream or soap though, and the samples and my Proraso are almost gone.

I might have to visit the Mensbiz store before work tomorrow, it's 10 mins away. If anyone has ever been there before, can you tell me how to find it? I tried the other day and got lost in the warehouse building.

Just 200 Gillettes from Nick this month in the shaving related parcels.

Finally bought a Logitech Harmony 650 remote - scored it new from Logitechshop for $29 delivered!

So I can get rid of the amp/bluray player/wd tv live/tv/foxtel remotes.

Bargain hunter strikes again. If you assume a bargain basement price of $5 for the flare tip and case, that's 19c/blade in US money. The poor son won't charge postage to his daddio in Aus. Well done Glen. Wanna swap with some Dorcos?

Just 200 Gillettes from Nick this month in the shaving related parcels.

Finally bought a Logitech Harmony 650 remote - scored it new from Logitechshop for $29 delivered!

So I can get rid of the amp/bluray player/wd tv live/tv/foxtel remotes.

Great minds and all that - just bought the 700 from the same place.

Great minds and all that - just bought the 700 from the same place.

Haha speaking of great minds where did you get the idea to grab a Logitech universal remote? ;)

PS. Wow crazy buy on those Spoilers + Flaretip. Definitely a benchmark great buy when you can sense the veins in RM's forehead bulging at the thought of missing it!

PPS. Get some rechargables ready for those Logitech's as I'm told they devour batteries! The 650 was a nice buy at that price. Dunno what the 700 does extra, looks just like a 650 in black. :/

Last edited:
The logitech haromys are great I have a 525 from about 5 years ago. Took me a couple of hours to get it set up ust the way I wanted configuring all of the bits of gear and getting the macros working right. Its not too bad on batteries, I did put rechargables in it straight away, I dont need to charge them that often, every few months. The 525 has a smaller and mono screen, I reckon the clour screen will be a bit more intense.

I had a look at logitech shop,anyone used a touch pad instead of a mouse, other then in your lap top? I am thinking about one of these or these, I get a fair bit of mouse elbow through poor posture and too long sitting at my desk. Looking again the first one doesn't have a number pad so it is useless to me.

I was watching those razor and blade packs, but my wife has been hasseling me about my blade stash so I didn't bid. You got an absolute bargain. There were about 4 sets of various combinations from the same seller at the same time.

Last edited:
Wow. Fast delivery from Logitech shop.

Ordered a Harmony 650 remote and a Lapdesk for the bride, on Wednesday night. Goods arrived today!

Glen I am not sure you want to have your pacemaker on the remote.

Oh I don't know....it would interesting find out how he goes with the Thomas Method on fast forward.
I notice you didn't mention the artificial hip. maybe Mrs Thomas likes to be able to control the variable speed adjustment. :weird:

Oh no, now you've done it! Loves a bit of smut, does our Glen.

Gentlemen you have no imagination, the remote for the pacemaker when what you are watching is too exciting and as any fool should know using a remote on a single hip transplant makes you bahave like a washing machine with an unbalanced load - whirr thump whirr thunp - no fun for anyone.

I know I'm setting a bad example but geez this thread is begging for a clip of Glen's hip under the control of Mrs Glen and the new remote.

[video=youtube;ZfkOLVoRvWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfkOLVoRvWs[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.