Official P&C 2018 Sabbatical (& Back to Basics) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what any of these things are but why do you need so many torches? What do you guys do at night?:eek:
I volunteer with State Emergency Service, so as you can imagine, I need the best equipment for when nature's throwing the worse it can at me.
I also utilise it for photography and another hobby :)

How do you get a splinter out of your finger with a torch?
Burn it out!

Lol...makes them easier to see with older eyes
Only if a high CRI neutral white ;)

@all Think we need a separate sabbatical thread for the torch guys. They are burning it up. We can name it the 'in the dark' for those with TAD. Then later on it can expand into 'Without a Cell' for the Battery cell acquisition disorders.

I volunteer with State Emergency Service, so as you can imagine, I need the best equipment for when nature's throwing the worse it can at me.
I also utilise it for photography and another hobby :)

Ok @borked ... I will ask the question... what other hobby ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok @borked ... I will ask the question... what other hobby ;)
To sneak into peoples bathrooms whilst they sleep and take SOTD photos :)

Close, yet it looks like you've lost your money... :)

TBH, it's to access places like this
2hy9mxd.jpg

featuring environments like this
259hhna.jpg

to take pictures like this (face deliberately blurred to preserve privacy)
11vrui8.jpg

and sometimes like this.
30vg6qt.jpg

I've been doing this before it was trendy, so 10-15 years.

To sneak into peoples bathrooms whilst they sleep and take SOTD photos :)

Close, yet it looks like you've lost your money... :)

TBH, it's to access places like this
2hy9mxd.jpg

featuring environments like this
259hhna.jpg

to take pictures like this (face deliberately blurred to preserve privacy)
11vrui8.jpg

and sometimes like this.
30vg6qt.jpg

I've been doing this before it was trendy, so 10-15 years.
Very cool... ever been inside the old White Bay Power Station?

Very cool... ever been inside the old White Bay Power Station?
One on the list I've not done... yet!

Trying to find one particularly striking picture in my backups.
Its historical value is striking, well at least to me :)

One on the list I've not done... yet!

Trying to find one particularly striking picture in my backups.
Its historical value is striking, well at least to me :)
Yes - apparently was built to provide electricity for the trams in Sydney. They ripped them all up and are now "re-inventing the wheel".
It is an amazing looking building. They have filmed one of the Matrix films and Great Gatsby there. I've done some of the "secret Sydney" tours that are on once a year, opening usually unseen buildings. Interesting but the crowds are ridiculous.:)

Yes - apparently was built to provide electricity for the trams in Sydney. They ripped them all up and are now "re-inventing the wheel".
It is an amazing looking building. They have filmed one of the Matrix films and Great Gatsby there. I've done some of the "secret Sydney" tours that are on once a year, opening usually unseen buildings. Interesting but the crowds are ridiculous.:)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-21/sydneys-first-harbour-tunnel-curious-sydney/9234518
There's a LOT that most people have no idea about my friend :)
If you're interested, I'm happy to talk a bit :)

The law does not distinguish between 'trendy' and 'non-trendy' trespass/Enter unlawfully on Inclosed lands mate :D

... but it is 'the vibe' ...

(a phrase I'm sure all lawyers HATE!)

The law does not distinguish between 'trendy' and 'non-trendy' trespass/Enter unlawfully on Inclosed lands mate
Yet recognises that the intent does not pose a security risk/threat to persons or property, thus resulting in formal consultation taking place with relevant government authorities, seeking advice upon improving security :D
There also is the legitimate argument of documentation of history earmarked to be destroyed or left in neglect to decay.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints :)

Wow! Great article! I live quite close to the tunnel and had no idea! Amazing engineering feat (y)
North or south side?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-21/sydneys-first-harbour-tunnel-curious-sydney/9234518

Thanks @borked fascinating article. Shame the tunnel can’t be used. How whs has changed things. Gotta do a risk assessment before your morning coffee these days.
My Grandfather was a plumber and back in the days before backhoes etc when they were laying the town sewers, deep excavations were of course done by hand with teams of maybe 20 blokes. Apparently they’d dig a six foot trench twenty foot deep, miss six foot and dig another six foot trench and then tunnel in between to save some excavation....so I am told. These days you’re flat out getting anyone to wield a shovel at all.

Last edited:

Thanks @borked fascinating article. Shame the tunnel can’t be used. How whs has changed things. Gotta do a risk assessment before your morning coffee these days.
My Grandfather was a plumber and back in the days before backhoes etc when they were laying the town sewers, deep excavations were of course done by hand with teams of maybe 20 blokes. Apparently they’d dig a six foot trench twenty foot deep, miss six foot and dig another six foot trench and then tunnel in between to save some excavation....so I am told. These days you’re flat out getting anyone to wield a shovel at all.
Not telling me something I'm not aware of there mate and feel the same way :)
The genuine craftsmanship that went into our infrastructure is astounding, if you take the time and effort to appreciate it.

North side
Spent a lot of time around there in my teen's to early 20's not far from the entry point.

Status
Not open for further replies.