Official P&C 2018 Sabbatical (& Back to Basics) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy to preach these things when you have a splash named after you buy one of the countries premier artisans.

#notJelly
#fairlyJelly

You realise that if we were able to exercise further restraint that would probably remove half the threads off the forum?:)
FTFY :)

Easy to preach these things when you have a splash named after you buy one of the countries premier artisans.

#notJelly
#fairlyJelly
Ahh, yet you've already a custom title.
Something many before you are yet to be bestowed the honour of :)

FTFY :)

Ahh, yet you've already a custom title.
Something many before you are yet to be bestowed the honour of :)
It is true that I command significant respect around here, hence the title.
Real talk though i think I can probably make it through the year, I do have a ton of crap...and other hobbies to focus on I guess

Last edited:
@Monsta_AU hit me with the Sabbatical 2018 later tonight, I'm in.
Have a TSW order to complete later today which is still outstanding.

Have two large OS orders on the way from Maggards & Groomatorium on the slow boats so late January will be fun so will post those up when they arrive.

Partner is going to purchase me a shave bowl later this year for my birthday, so that is covered off :whistle:

My RAD is hopefully dead after my Blackbirds order ;) (@todras @Snooze I blame you for the temptation) and will be selling half of my razors this year as I use them, Darwin included I think :(

Have a razor handle in play so won't see that until February and some knots awaiting for a mate to make the handles.

As someone previously hinted that I'm probably doing the Sabbatical the wrong way by stocking up, yeah they are right but I don't want to be tempted in any way o_O

Wish the other gentleman good luck and hope the other guys fair well :)

@borked & others, have been wet shaving for over a year now and have learnt so much and will continue to learn from my own mistakes and more importantly from the valuable members of the forum.
Spent a ton of money that should of been saved and put on the home loan but that is my folly and no others fault (looking at you enabler). Purse is closed and will recoup some funds layer this year visa the P&C B/S/T & fleabay.
Not after the banner so I don't necessarily need to go on a P&C Sabbatical but it is symbolic to me & you.
Using a social label to keep me in check and an encouragement to others to support (or rub their noses in it) fellow members and lurkers that it can be done, is fun and self rewarding. @borked mentioned that it isn't really required as self control is all that is necessary and quite right you are sir and especially odd as we are here on this forum to learn, adjust, support, compare and acquire which makes being on a sabbatical ironic.
My RAD was out of control in the first part of the year. Then the SAD came and A/S one too. Now BAD is around but controllable and timed nicely for a sabbatical.

Until I f#@k up wish me all the best.

@UKSteve you cracked me up with your last comment on why not to be on a sabbatical :joyful::joyful: keep up the awesome work and great pics.

Last edited:
Still does my head in that a club like this is required for others to exercise
Pretty rich talk coming from someone who had bought 1000 blades in a single purchase.

If it is such a snap come and join in, no purchases for a year, it's not that easy for most, I have a very pared back shaving attitude so don't find it a challenge. If I had been active on the forum I could have banners for the last three years.

I too intend to become "master of my own domain"
Please sign me up for this madness

Lord of the manor!

CyFcebQ.jpg

Pretty rich talk coming from someone who had bought 1000 blades in a single purchase.

If it is such a snap come and join in, no purchases for a year, it's not that easy for most, I have a very pared back shaving attitude so don't find it a challenge. If I had been active on the forum I could have banners for the last three years.
It was 4,000 and purchased not only for myself, yet selflessly to ensure others have access to the best blade bar a light brigade :)
I'm not silly enough to tortue myself via participation, particularly as I've an idea of a project or two to come from @todras next year :)

It was 4,000 and purchased not only for myself, yet selflessly to ensure others have access to the best blade bar a light brigade :)
I'm not silly enough to tortue myself via participation, particularly as I've an idea of a project or two to come from @todras next year :)
I'm not going near sabbatical with a forty foot pole. I've got shopping to do!!:sneaky:
-Muffled exclamation from background.
'What's that Dear? Oh..... I was just telling my friends I was thinking maybe I'd do a little shopping in 2018, not much mind, just the essential shaving gear, you know';)

Looking forward to seeing who drops off the perch first and how quickly.

Just a few last minute words of advice.....

• For those of you who have felt the need to "buy up" before the sabbatical commences I wish you the best of luck. Unfortunately you have already shown that you have a rough road ahead by displaying a requirement to try all of the latest offerings. There will be many many new products next year. What happens when your favourite soap maker releases their once off LE never to be repeated soap or if an artisan that offers razors or brushes that are hard to get and highly sought after suddenly releases a new readily available product (or opens a waiting list). Chances are you will either buy and break the sabbatical anyway or not buy to save face and therefore miss out.
  • For those of you that feel the need to keep reminding everyone else or yourselves that you are going on sabbatical I would suggest you consider the point above.
  • You could of course simply exercise a certain level of restraint that does not entail buying every new product that comes on the market and limit your spending to a select number of items throughout the year. I am guessing however that the majority that have chosen to openly join in in the sabbatical would have difficulty exercising such a level of restraint. Again I direct you to point one.
  • For those of you who do not feel the need to buy the latest and greatest soaps and have truly found a razor/blade/brush combo that works for you all of the time and also feel that there could not be anything better on the market this is a no contest. You would likely go the year without buying too much (if anything) anyway.

I wish you all the best of luck....

Looking forward to seeing who drops off the perch first and how quickly.

Just a few last minute words of advice.....

• For those of you who have felt the need to "buy up" before the sabbatical commences I wish you the best of luck. Unfortunately you have already shown that you have a rough road ahead by displaying a requirement to try all of the latest offerings. There will be many many new products next year. What happens when your favourite soap maker releases their once off LE never to be repeated soap or if an artisan that offers razors or brushes that are hard to get and highly sought after suddenly releases a new readily available product (or opens a waiting list). Chances are you will either buy and break the sabbatical anyway or not buy to save face and therefore miss out.
  • For those of you that feel the need to keep reminding everyone else or yourselves that you are going on sabbatical I would suggest you consider the point above.
  • You could of course simply exercise a certain level of restraint that does not entail buying every new product that comes on the market and limit your spending to a select number of items throughout the year. I am guessing however that the majority that have chosen to openly join in in the sabbatical would have difficulty exercising such a level of restraint. Again I direct you to point one.
  • For those of you who do not feel the need to buy the latest and greatest soaps and have truly found a razor/blade/brush combo that works for you all of the time and also feel that there could not be anything better on the market this is a no contest. You would likely go the year without buying too much (if anything) anyway.

I wish you all the best of luck....

Tremendously well said mate, with the benefit of a couple of glasses of single malt, I have one more point to add :D
  • No one cares that you are on sabbatical, ceaselessly mentioning it as a reason for not buying, bidding or otherwise enjoying yourself on P&C (in the BST especially) or when people post their cool mail calls gets very boring very fast. Do everyone a favour and keep the fact that you have elected to deprive yourself of enjoyment to yourself. We are all able to moderate our spending without the need for a silly votive or a forum banner. Think of the community before you bang on about being on sabbatical and bore the crap out of everyone.

Tremendously well said mate, with the benefit of a couple of glasses of single malt, I have one more point to add :D
  • No one cares that you are on sabbatical, ceaselessly mentioning it as a reason for not buying, bidding or otherwise enjoying yourself on P&C (in the BST especially) or when people post their cool mail calls gets very boring very fast. Do everyone a favour and keep the fact that you have elected to deprive yourself of enjoyment to yourself. We are all able to moderate our spending without the need for a silly votive or a forum banner. Think of the community before you bang on about being on sabbatical and bore the crap out of everyone.
Spoken like someone not on sabbatical :p

I'm sure non-sabbatical community will remind them of their sabbatical as we endless tempt them.
Also a reminder, midnight is the start of the year, so anyone wanting to fail early, that would be the best time to set a record. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.