Paste & Cut Travelling Box No. 2 - Reviews and Comments thread

Nothing like a smiley. Fool!
I concur!
There really is nothing like a smiley and pity the fool that fails to comprehend that :D

Paging @stillshunter
@stillshunter to the P&C TB #2 thread!
I was tempted to build this demand to return up to stomping boots and screams of "ENCORE!", but then I remembered where I was and thought better of it. Even quite glad @borked remembered my name.

So my first shave with the PCTB2 was a mixed bag - of the stuff I was dying to try. My second shave was a mostly US affair, and my third shave a tribute to Mother England. So today's fourth shave is brought to you by the stern folk of Deutschland.

(red denotes items from PCTB2)
Brush: Aesop - a.k.a. Muhle 23mm STF2 (synthetic)
Soap/Cream: Phaemosan shaving cream
Razor: Muhle R41 (2013)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
After-shave: Nivea for Men, AS Replenishing balm

The Germans had their work cut out for them as I'd not shaved for four days….don't judge me!…so there was a healthy amount of hard-wire stubble to get through.

Previous to the arrival of the PCTB2, I'd never heard of Phaemosan shaving cream. A little research betrayed its Germanic origins and that it was formulated for sensitive skin. This might account for the scent. There is one but it's subtle, floral notes with the slightest hint of blue cheese. I thought this cream a safe bet as if it failed in the lather then there were other German heavyweights, such as Tabac and Speick, willing to wait for a tag on the ropes. It was not to eventuate. I admit the initial first pass lather was a little disappointing, but then I recalled one thing - I was using the STF2. More on this brush a little later but this synthetic does need to be used a little differently. In this case I could swirl more and needed to use much more water. Once I accounted for those two things I was pleasantly surprised with the consistency of the lather produced. Very nice indeed. Also the smell developed a little more and gave some earth to the floral tones. Cushion and glide were certainly acceptable, and the after shave feel was nice and moisturised. Also I must note that a very small amount - I used a pea sized dollop - goes a LONG way. I know the brush would have played a role here, but I had another two passes left in the knot at clean-up. I don't think the soap performed to the standard of its countrymen on the ropes - and again these are tough combatants to shake - but I could use this cream regularly - and would be keen to know where it can be sourced.

A small intermission to talk to the non-PCTB2 German brush and razor.
I'd not used the Aesop - a.k.a. Muhle 23mm STF2 (synthetic) for quite some time. I picked it for this shave only after I realised some Teutonic blood pumped in its veins - or more specifically - in its hair. Once I recalled the lessons of using this brush daily on my holiday and made the small adjustments it all came flooding back. This brush is my lone gunman brush - i.e., if someone put a gun to my head and demanded I use only one brush this would definitely and unreservedly be it! It feels so soft on the face - making me so want a bulb-shaped Silvertip badger. But its standout quality - which see it unseat my other brushes - is the sense of control it affords. The lather is very predictably where you need it - use the tips to paint it on and twirl the base of the knot (usually on my chin) to get a little more out. This is no brush for ProHart - no launching lather to the ceiling, the mirror or across the floor. The splay suits me perfectly too. This shave was great in reminding me which is my favourite brush .

Inaugural shave with the Muhle R41 (2013). I accepted @JugV2 's R41 2011 Bloodletter challenge and ended up wanting a bloodletter of my very own. I have been too distracted by the Weber to give it a whirl, but since I was keeping it German then this was the natural selection. I admit to a little nervous handshake throughout the shave, but this is healthy as it keeps the mind focused on zero pressure. And just like a Zen Master toting a bamboo stick to keep you sharp, the auditory feedback of the R41 certainly keeps your mind on the job. I love that noise and noticed if you really concentrate you can hear the ping of each hair as well as make out the cries for mercy from your skin. I was concerned as I have an anomaly on my top lip - pimple? - which I thought vulnerable to R41 attack. But surprisingly not, it treated it like the dominant tiger would its day old cub. So the shave was nice. Not a single weeper, but it certainly took concentration. This level could not be maintained daily I don't think but am looking forward to using the razor when it is time to recentre my self - I think this a healthy exercise once a week or so. Having been used once now, I baptise this razor the Zen Master.

I thought I'd see whether the Personna Med Prep - which have proven superb in the Weber - would do as well in the R41. OK it aint German but the only blade I have that is, is the Merker and do you think I'd ever put one of those to my face ever again, especially loaded in the likes of the Zen Master? In short, it worked very well indeed. Oddly I did not get as close a shave with it in my R41 as I did with a PSS in the Bloodletter R41. But this might be down to the Bloodletter - being a 2011 - is simply more aggressive, though there also remains the possibility that the PSS is a sharper blade in the R41? As far as these blue Personnas go, I will try the Lab Blue Super Stainless that @filobiblic PIFed me and if they are as good then I'll keep a float of 100 in the drawer.

Again a nice shave, not a single nick and so the aftershave had it easy. I have some Nivea of my own, but mine certainly isn't scented as much as either of the ones in the PCTB2. I opted for the Nivea for Men AS Replenishing balm - as I anticipated my face needing replenishment after three passes from an R41. The scent wasn't offensive, reminds me of what you'd expect from an aftershave you bought from your local chemist. That's not to devalue the Nivea, or what your local pharmacy might stock - mine has some Tabac - just that the scent is of that era/genre. Performance was very good. Not too greasy and absorbed to provide nice face feel - what more can I ask of it? I'm 30 minutes post-shave now and my face feels great.

So a real surprise to be honest. My research indicates that I ended up using pharmacy-grade German software and got a shave of this calibre. A whole field in front of the US shave and very close to the English one. Taken as a whole, and as blasphemous as it is to say, this has been the best shave of the box so far. Other than the Personnas proven shaves earlier, I'll try the Phaemosan again before the box goes back, and if it repeats this performance I'll track some down.

Next shave, I'm thinking Italian….

Last edited:
Nice write up Stillsy. Glad that you've finally loaded up the ZenMaster and given it a whirl. Lots of fun and games ahead...

I'd not used the Aesop - a.k.a. Muhle 23mm STF2 (synthetic) for quite some time.
Perhaps it's because I have the 21mm knot, I'm just not as in love with the Muhle STF as you obviously are... I'm hoping that the Plisson suits my face/style/shave more and I'll join Marlow in singing its praises. (Now that's a duet you won't want to miss!!!)

Great box you have going around! I didn't go through all 26 pages but wish I could have joined the party earlier - putting my name down for No.3!

Great box you have going around! I didn't go through all 26 pages but wish I could have joined the party earlier - putting my name down for No.3!
Box #3 is already planned to be loaded with Barrister & Mann and Shaver Heaven (Aussie @Anthony). I think a few of us are waiting for the sign up list to go up! [emoji4]

Box #3 is already planned to be loaded with Barrister & Mann and Shaver Heaven (Aussie @Anthony). I think a few of us are waiting for the sign up list to go up! [emoji4]
Well I guess there is one more waiting :D

I get it…folks don't want a dissertation on each shave. The mob has spoken!

Went as Italian as I could...
(red denotes items from PCTB2)
Brush: Omega 31025 'Scarlatti'
Soap/Cream: P160
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Voshod (1)
After-shave: Floid

Bottom line: this was the best shave yet. Will be asking @Mark1966 about the possibility of holding onto this P.160 sample tub and @JugV2 about which breed of Floid this is - Vigoroso, Suave or the Italian Unobtainium? Will definitely be buying this Floid - loved the zing, sting and then the bling. Jeez I feel great right now (30 minutes on)!!!!

The Floid will be the Obtanium. Suave has less menthol and Alc I think. Some say one has a stronger scent, I think they're the same.

I am quite surprised that the Pureman has not had a run just yet.....
Been saving that one up RM. Any advice on a good blade to load up? There's some vintage stuff in the box still (including some nice old Schicks), otherwise still some Med Preps, Rapiras, Super Iridiums…and I have at least one of any modern blade in my little jar.

Meanwhile, I've exhausted most of what the box has to offer. I have the Kiss My Face Lavender and Pinauds Virgin Islands Bay Rum for tomorrow. Then that just leaves the Super Max Ultimate and Nivea Extreme Comfort - hmmmm are they really worth it - then again I have over a week still to go? Might be time to use the carry-overs from the box - like the Occams Lime, Simpsons Luxury Creme, and the Godrej tubes (menthol and a lime) that @filobiblic kindly gifted @borked and myself.

Really enjoyed this so far and keen already for PCTB3

He needs an Aussie shave with Occams and Pureman...

Happy to take custom shave requests mate. Just complete the below.
Brush: __________
Soap/Cream: Occams (Original or Crushed Lime?)
Razor: Pureman OC
Blade: ___________
After-shave: ____________

Happy to take custom shave requests mate. Just complete the below.
Brush: ___Didn't you get a Re-knot by a P&Cer?
Soap/Cream: Occams (Original or Crushed Lime?) - depends on weather
Blade: _aussie spoiler (but I think a Voshkod or Personna would suit the razor)
After-shave: _Brut!!! [emoji13]

Brush - whatever
Soap - Occams Lime
Razor - Pureman
Blade - Aussie Spoiler ideally, if not I'd go a Schick. Med Prep would be interesting. Just watch your angle, it is different in this razor but you have lots of handle to play with.
Aftershave - you won't need any if you do it right.

Brush: ___Didn't you get a Re-knot by a P&Cer?
Soap/Cream: Occams (Original or Crushed Lime?) - depends on weather
Blade: _aussie spoiler (but I think a Voshkod or Personna would suit the razor)
After-shave: _Brut!!! [emoji13]
Replies in red.
Brush: ___Didn't you get a Re-knot by a P&Cer? - nope, this might be Mark when we meet up for the PCTB2 handover later this month
Soap/Cream: Occams (Original or Crushed Lime?) - depends on weather - so hot = lime, cold = original?
Blade: _aussie spoiler (but I think a Voshkod or Personna would suit the razor) - no Aussie Spoilers in the PCTB2 - how about one of the Personna Supers you sent me?
After-shave: _Brut!!! - again none in the PCTB2….@borked must have lifted it before it got to me.

Poor Borked. Just because he was before you... No Brut in the Box- I thought every Aussie male had tried it once before or had some lurking behind the shampoo...

And listen to the Monsta- the Pureman will bite you if you don't keep a good angle. Especially with a vintage blade.

Poor Borked. Just because he was before you... No Brut in the Box- I thought every Aussie male had tried it once before or had some lurking behind the shampoo...

And listen to the Monsta- the Pureman will bite you if you don't keep a good angle. Especially with a vintage blade.
Thanks for the warning mate.
So for the Pureman shave (not during the next few days as I got stupidly early meetings at work!!!...and I want to savour, and not rush, this experience)
Brush - a badger of some description…reminds me of wombat.
Soap - Occams Lime
Razor - Pureman
Blade - Personna.
Aftershave - RM says: "you won't need any if you do it right". So I'm leaning towards the restorative qualities of Speick AS lotion….after the Dettol (keeping it Aussie!).

I find the vintage blades in it let you know that your angle is wrong much sooner. You usually have to go towards a right angle (open up the angle) instead of tightening it down to a more acute angle. A couple of degrees makes a big difference. Get it right though, and you will reap the rewards. There is nothing better to whack down 3 days of growth in one pass and feel like you don't need to lather up for another.

Honestly, I think the Med Prep would be an excellent choice. Silver Blues, GBE's & Permasharps all work really well with it so you could start there. If you like it and can work out the angle without too much damage (considering you are still alive after the R41), drop in the Schick and have a go.

Have to admit my favourite blade in this razor is actually the Personna Super Stainless Ultra Chrome. They seem top be made of a slightly ticker metal (a bit like the GBEs) and it just seems to match the head profile. In saying that, the first shave with the vintage Personna scares me, the second & third are magic. I usually start being a little more careful around shave #6 or #7. Can take it right to 10 shaves with some care on the neck XTG.

Last edited: