Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: 37c
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: MWF
Aftershave: Metilsol

My favourite soap, my favourite brush, my favourite aftershave. It was always going to be good.

....and I used one of them blades for the first time in about six months. Forgot how good Voshkods were...

2ArCTgh.jpg

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword Edge@7
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Coconut
Brush: Vie-Long 13061
A.F: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Classic 3 pass shave, very comfortable, once again a vintage blade who shine on the long run.

Well been a while -

Razor: MicroMatic OC Single Edge
Blade: GEM [1]
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Vintage Yardley
Aftershave: Myrsol Metisol

The MMOC cause a few little weepers (well I did actually with poor technique on part of the first pass - but we will blame the razor) but the Metisol sorted that out!!!

Thanks to @Pjotr for the MMOC loan :)

Brush: #620
Soap: Latha
Razor: AS-D2 & DE89
Blade: Voskhod (2) & Feather (3)
Aftershave: VIBR

Was quite impressed with how the Voshkod performed in the DE89 yesterday. So this morning I thought I'd mix it up a bit to see the respective properties of each razor and blade.

Segue: A bit of background, my entry point into wet-shaving was an Edwin Jagger DE89, of which I felt I'd graduated from or moved beyond. What a conceited prick person you can be when you get a little bit of confidence. I was gifted a new DE89 by Chris at the ShaverHut (no better retailer in Australia IMHO) as a thank you for my patronage. That was a few months back now, but yesterday I decided to crack the seal and give it go. In short I was so surprised with what a damned good shave I was given with the Voshkod on-board. Lesson learned - yeah razor and blade combination can play a part but so does the level (and attitude) of the shaver.

Anywho...and little humbled

This morning I loaded the Voshkod into the AS-D2 and the Feather into the DE89, and used them alternatively through this morning's passes. Well not being that thick yet, I did first lather up. Decided to go with the Latha. I am really liking this soap A LOT! I'd be keen to hear from others who went into the B&M Group Buy to see what they think they get from their other premium B&M offering that is lacking in the budget Latha. Seriously for $10 a pot, even @Drubbing would be a happ... well mildly-contented man.

Bottom line is I couldn't find a favourite between the Voshkod/AS-D2 and Feather/DE89. Voshkod/AS-D2 seemed the smoother but less efficient. The Feather/DE89 was closer but rougher. I think I prefer both with their original internals - i.e., Feather/AS-D2 and Voshkod/DE89.

Well been a while -

The MMOC cause a few little weepers (well I did actually with poor technique on part of the first pass - but we will blame the razor) but the Metisol sorted that out!!!

Well done Mark.

How unforgiving did you find the MMOC? How would you rate the actual shave? I don't have an MMOC in my rotation, but will have in a few days. From what I have heard a couple of weepers isn't too bad if you haven't used it for awhile. Well done :)

Steve

The MMOC is the R41 of the SE world. Harsh and unforgiving but close! Treat it with respect and the blood sacrifice will be minimised.

Well been a while -

Scraggly old brush with what looks like it's original best badger knot, a scraggly old tallow stained wooden container with a puck of vintage soap and a razor that was designed and probably built sometime during the great depression. Like it all a lot! If it was just based on the above, I'd propose you for SLAP membership.

Fatboy exec
Frank shaving best badger
Polsilver SI on 6,7,8? Don't know, lost count
Occam's original.
Great lather from the @occam's which seems to have fine the opposite of my jabonmans soap in that it has become harder, not softer than when I first used it.
Love the scent, but not sure of it is a soap scent or a Jamaican jerk chicken scent. Reminds me to get the scotch bonnets in the ground so I can make some.
Occam's is something I can only really use in winter so I think it wool go in my winter shaving collection with la toja, and speick

Occam's is something I can only really use in winter...
So buy the Crushed Lime for Summer.

...so I think it wool go in my winter shaving collection with la toja, and speick
Wow so you'll have one soap for each of the three days of a Darwin winter. Great thought though as they should last you and your great, great grandchildren.

Yesterday's shave, belatedly posted

Razor:
E1 Fatboy (7)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (0)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: Wickham's Club Cola courtesy of @SydBJW
Aftershave: Alum

Bit raw after this one, these vintage blades can be a bit bitey when first used if the angle is not perfect. No blood, just sting on the rinse so the Alum came out.

My first go with the Wickham's range, SydBJW passed some samples on when delivering his B&M Fireside. Quite a soft soap, I'd call it a croap. Pulled a decent amount out of the bag and put into my lather bowl. The scent is sweet and definitely is a cola although not so much coke or Pepsi, more of an AC/Schweppes Cola type of thing.

No issues with the lathering itself, it's right up there along with slickness, however there wasn't as much cushion as I have been getting with the B&M of late. The scent was still there but definitely lost some punch.

I couldn't smell it on me that much, but the other half could but said it smelled strange on me. I take that to mean that it was different to my normal scents as I usually do not go for the Gourmands so much.

Nice photo @borked. I like the touch of sunshine you've photoshopped in mate....I'm the daylight guy and you the moonlight man remember? ;)

Hey what's the razor?....looks like something @Mark1966 might have won on the Bay recently.
Wonders of daylight/warm tint lights, hey ;)
Keen eye there mate, indeed, it came for a visit with the Captains choice Limes I purchased off him :)
When opened up fully, I think it has more gap than the bloodletter!
X/WTG first pass was a tad rough, yet knocked off a few days growth as if it wasn't there, dialed it down a bit and was nice and smooth, even on a new vintage blade!
Best shave I've had for a while, yet that may be due to having more than one eye open and actually aware of my environment, let alone able to enjoy it :)

I'm liking your admission to hubris in your other post, it's indeed something that can creep into our routines over a period of time.

Glad you tried the Wickham soap @Monsta_AU. The other 3 samples I gave you are Caties Bubbles. It will take a long time to get through the blades you gave me :)

Scraggly old brush with what looks like it's original best badger knot, a scraggly old tallow stained wooden container with a puck of vintage soap and a razor that was designed and probably built sometime during the great depression. Like it all a lot! If it was just based on the above, I'd propose you for SLAP membership.

Actually that is a reknot - in Pure by Simpsons - a little scritchy but nice :)

So can I still get SLAP membership?

Tried a different SE razor today after using the Schick E yesterday. I still need to work out the "E" for later as I nicked myself yesterday which made today's shave a touch tricky. I think it was such a great shave I thought I was perhaps better than the razor. Today, I used my Clog Pruf and this is a very aggressive member of the Micromatic family. Blade feel and projection keeps you on your toes - or should. Blade choice was simple - a GEM ptfe blade.
Soap was version 2 of my homebrew soap and it worked well. Lathered in my scuttle and this version creates more lather as it seems to load much quicker. EDIT: Forgot to mention Turkish #6 as the brush
2 passes with cold water wash between passes and finished with a cold water wash.
I was pleased that despite the nicks yesterday I maintained my full quoter of blood today.
I haven't kept a record of the shaves on this blade but easily 6 or more. When the current blades in my SE's are spent I'll stick to one blade for the rotation of my SE razors.

Status
Not open for further replies.