Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maltesers from Nick The Knife's stash. Top blade, Monsta. They just agree with my mug.

Yeah, I like them. Very similar to Silver Blues and a vastly under-rated blade. If only I could squeeze and extra shave out of them.

20150506_SOTDS_zpsbw199s4x.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: The WOLF(man)
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24/50 Synthetic
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Started to work on my brush and blade back-log :D :D :D

This was my second shave with a Rapira Super Stainless blade, and I think that was that. The first one was with my ATT R1 - and while the Wolf is really forgiving towards blades, these definitely won't do it. They are simply not sharp enough and I felt it from the first stroke. Got through 3 passes, but it was not as enjoyable, as I'd liked.

On to the brush: my go to soap for checking out brushes has always been Mike's. If you know what you are doing, you get a wonderfully luxurious lather with lots of cushion and glide. But things can easily go wrong (for me anyway) - so it is a great soap to test new brushes.

And the lather was heaven. This brush has everything I don't like about the Plisson: the shorter loft and ticker knot give it more backbone, while it is still wonderfully soft. It also does not have the spring, other synthetics often do - which makes it perfect for face lathering. Whipped up an enormous mountain of great lather in no time.

The downside: I still haven't fallen in love with synths. It's a bit like fast food. Yes the lather is great, yes everything is effortless, yes it dries much quicker, yes it does not need any break-in time...but you can't compare it to a really nice home cooked meal. Natural hair brushes have more character - and the synthetic doesn't. It will be my travel brush and used on the days, where I will be in a hurry. The Plisson just went back into the back of the cupboard. But I don't think it will ever replace my natural hair brushes...

I rarely ever have a problem with a brush not drying out by the next shave, and it gets mighty humid up here at times.
I guess I'm not addicted to shaving like some of you, and only feel the need to shave once every 24-48 hours.

Last edited:
I rarely ever have a problem with a brush not drying out by the next shave, and it gets mighty humid up here at times.
I guess I'm not addicted to shaving like some of you, and only feel the need to shave once ever 24-48 hours.

I am exactly in the same boat. The only time it matters for me, is when I travel. Don't like to pack a damp brush in my suitcase for 24h.

20150506_SOTDS_zpsbw199s4x.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: The WOLF(man)
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24/50 Synthetic
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Started to work on my brush and blade back-log :D :D :D

This was my second shave with a Rapira Super Stainless blade, and I think that was that. The first one was with my ATT R1 - and while the Wolf is really forgiving towards blades, these definitely won't do it. They are simply not sharp enough and I felt it from the first stroke. Got through 3 passes, but it was not as enjoyable, as I'd liked.

On to the brush: my go to soap for checking out brushes has always been Mike's. If you know what you are doing, you get a wonderfully luxurious lather with lots of cushion and glide. But things can easily go wrong (for me anyway) - so it is a great soap to test new brushes.

And the lather was heaven. This brush has everything I don't like about the Plisson: the shorter loft and ticker knot give it more backbone, while it is still wonderfully soft. It also does not have the spring, other synthetics often do - which makes it perfect for face lathering. Whipped up an enormous mountain of great lather in no time.

The downside: I still haven't fallen in love with synths. It's a bit like fast food. Yes the lather is great, yes everything is effortless, yes it dries much quicker, yes it does not need any break-in time...but you can't compare it to a really nice home cooked meal. Natural hair brushes have more character - and the synthetic doesn't. It will be my travel brush and used on the days, where I will be in a hurry. The Plisson just went back into the back of the cupboard. But I don't think it will ever replace my natural hair brushes...

Sounds like I gotta get me one of them Whipped Dog synths ASAP. The big question I is: Will the next batch be the same knots?

Sounds like I gotta get me one of them Whipped Dog synths ASAP. The big question I is: Will the next batch be the same knots?
Larry is a really nice guy - I think if you ask him, he will be straight with you. I also don't think that there would be a big issue with inconsistency - they are after all manufactured and not from different animals...

Brush: Semogue Cerda
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Gillette Slim on 6
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel & Myrsol Blue

A good 'ole fashion shave to round off Hump Day.

The downside: I still haven't fallen in love with synths. It's a bit like fast food. Yes the lather is great, yes everything is effortless, yes it dries much quicker, yes it does not need any break-in time... The Plisson just went back into the back of the cupboard. But I don't think it will ever replace my natural hair brushes...

I'm with you, @alfredus . This brush excels at whipping up the perfect lather but it feels robotic.

Brush: Smog #620
Soap: Latha
Razor: AS-D2
Blade: Feather (2)
Post-shave: Lucky Tiger

Got one nick - not sure why. Rest of the face, barring that 0.25mm, is feeling great.

Again a simple smooth SE shave.
Hydrate face.
Create lather in scuttle.
Use brass 1924 Ever Ready with GEM SS blade [8]
This is a razor you don't rush as some report it is as aggressive as a Micromatic Open Comb. I cannot say how it compares but you certainly know the blade is all there waiting for you to get complacent.
No cuts no weepers and no irritation.
Total of 2 passes with a cold water hand shower rinse between passes finishing with a cold water wash.

I have to say @alfredus your shave day shots are great. As are the others posted.

Steve

Razor: E1 Fatboy (5)
Blade: Spoiler (9? Probably it's last I reckon)
Brush: Vulfix #374 in Super
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann 'Ferox'
Aftershave: Still don't need it with a B&M soap.

Backed up the Ferox again and damn it's a great scent. Bit early to be using it though so I am capping it now until September or October.

The Vulfix had to work harder than the Plissitane and I think the lather was slightly down in quality. Still damn good. No issues with the two passes and rinsed off with no nicks or weepers.

Thursday 7 May 2015

200540d1431010053-sun-may-03rd-sat-may-09th-sotd-07052015.jpg

Still on the Road with a Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake Razor

Still on the road and still having the pleasure of shaving with this amazing Mastro Livi Snake Razor. It delivers an incredibly deep and smooth shave, not to mention the joy it gives to the eyes when you look at it. Despite of its size, this Snake Razor has a perfect balance - perfectly centered in your hands - it is very easy and comfortable to use. This shave was also a new occasion to test my newest Thyrrenus aftershave: very refreshing on the skin, just like a fragrant summer breeze.​
  • Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Negozio Leggero Hazelnut and Lavender
  • Brush: Omega 48
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

Brush:Semouge 620 Boar
Soap: Barrister and Mann Fireside
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Gillete Silver Blue (0)
Post-shave: Nothing

After @Monsta_AU dropped some things over last night, I of coarse had to use them. First shave with the @Barrister & Mann Fireside. It is a complex scent. I am not the best at describing scents but it smells like Cognac, their is also some cirtius and some spices (I detect a slight pepper smell). It loads great and produces a great lather. Will try to do a more detailed review after a few more shaves. Will if you ever do a bourbon based scent, I will be first in line (y)

Three pass shave, the blade thanks to Monsta worked great and gave a no hassle shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.