Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, I liked the scent so much that I scoured Stirling's website to look for it. I couldn't find it so I figured it must be discontinued.

Looks like I'll be doing a Mike's order some time.
Please let me know when you do - need a soap from them as well ;)
I find Mikes a little finicky. When you get the lather right it's oh so right, but there are many shades of meh just beneath that....
Absolutely - especially with the sample sizes. But ones you know what your brush needs to do (or you take out the synth :D), it is an absolute stellar soap!
It definitely took a lot of water to get it going. I'm finding that the S-brush makes any soap work though.
Synth is perfect for Mike's - takes out all the hard work and delivers every time!

Brush: Romera Manchurian Badger
Soap: Mikes Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Aftershave: Thayers WH and Floid Blue

Nice shave without setting the world on fire. The Gillette NEW was looking very sexy after the weekends polish session. The metal polish and a bit of elbow grease transformed it nicely.

BTW - add me to the list of LPL fans. Love that soap.

Razor: 37c
Blade: Treet DS Carbon
Brush: Omega S10108
Cream: Derby Menthol
Aftershave: Antesol

Pretty good shave. Got a nick on my upper lip due to carelessness. Very bitey razor if it's not used with the utmost care.

Last edited:
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword Edge@8
Cream: Yardley Gold
Brush: Vie-Long 13061
A.F: Aqua Velva Original Sport

To Wilkinson, A Noble Warrior to the End !

Brush: shavemac 177
Soap: schafmilch
Razor: as-d2
Blade: feather (3)
Aftershave: speick

got a little irritated by shave's end, but 10 minutes on - feeling great

Brush: Plisson
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Pre-war Tech with Weber Classic handle
Blade: Personna Super (2)
Aftershave: CC Bay Rum

Nice easy shave. Love the CC Bay Rum - thanks @filobiblic!

Razor: E1 Fatboy (7)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (2)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: Wickham's Club Cola courtesy of @SydBJW
Aftershave: None

Working down the Wickhams. Scent is nice but not stellar, and performance is nice but again not to a B&M standard, lacking cushion and protection in comparison.

No issues with the shave.

SAS/DFS Single pass with a couple of touch ups.
Gem Feather Weight
Took longer to create my lather in the scuttle than have the shave.
Won't do it every shave but I'm surprised how effective a SE razor is on a single pass shave.
Cold water after the shave.

Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap: @Barrister & Mann Vetyver Santal
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Aftershave: Thayers WH & Pinaud Clubman

Ahhhh...finally...the fruits of @alfredus 's labour in my bathroom. Thanks Bro!

The Vetyver Santal scent to me is like a faint fougere. Scent strength wise it's very subtle but I hope that changes after a couple of uses. The lather wasn't as rich or dense as I have come to expect with B&M soaps but I put this down to the brush. The Duke needs to be loaded like the greedy badger that it is. Lesson learned.

Hey @Monsta_AU - Maltesers paired with an OC are not a good match for me. Has that been your experience?

Working down the Wickhams. Scent is nice but not stellar, and performance is nice but again not to a B&M standard, lacking cushion and protection in comparison.
Really? As I find Wickhams performance a little above that of B&M (compared to Latha and Fougere Aromatique). Hmmmm....another case of YMMV.

Really? As I find Wickhams performance a little above that of B&M (compared to Latha and Fougere Aromatique). Hmmmm....another case of YMMV.

Yep, definitely. There is the issue that it is a sample and harder to load than a proper full-sized product. It is good though, possibly line-ball against B&M if I have a full jar to load from.

Yep, definitely. There is the issue that it is a sample and harder to load than a proper full-sized product. It is good though, possibly line-ball against B&M if I have a full jar to load from.
Wow mate your hinting gets subtler by the day.... ;)

Razor: Grandfather's Gillette
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super
Blade: Feather (2)
Cream: Pens BB

The more and more the chubby breaks in, I get an appreciation of why it is so iconic. The tips continue to soften and the brush has bloomed. To describe the sensation it is like someone running then fingers in circles on your back. The backbone and density mean you only ever get the tips of the hair as if tiny fingers are massaging your face. For me the 2 band version of the Chubby is totally over rated as IMO a chubby only works in a fan knot as opposed to the bulb shape the 2 band arrives in.

I am also continually amazed about the amount of heat this brush retains as if its plugged in somewhere.

The more and more the chubby breaks in, I get an appreciation of why it is so iconic. The tips continue to soften and the brush has bloomed. To describe the sensation it is like someone running then fingers in circles on your back. The backbone and density mean you only ever get the tips of the hair as if tiny fingers are massaging your face. For me the 2 band version of the Chubby is totally over rated as IMO a chubby only works in a fan knot as opposed to the bulb shape the 2 band arrives in.

I am also continually amazed about the amount of heat this brush retains as if its plugged in somewhere.
Oh boy, this is exactly what I didn't need to hear!
....please tell me it's a lather hog though...
...and that it's not a scratch on the Rooney Beehive...

Status
Not open for further replies.