Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday 13 May 2015

200968d1431518292-sun-may-10th-sat-may-16th-sotd-13052015.jpg

F.W. Engels, 11/16 Full Hollow, Spike Point

I have always liked spike points in straight razors: they always provide a super precise performance, they are unbeatable in certain spots of your face. It is also true they are less forgiving than other point styles, but their precision is the very best. It is the type of point no one would suggest to a newbie, I however admit - when I started using straight razors about 16 years ago - the second straight razor I bought had a spike point. Since then, I added to my collection other razors having a spike point and this lovely Engels is just one of the many.​
  • Pre-Shave: Prep Cream
  • Soap: DR K Peppermint
  • Brush: Mühle Modern 281 H 23, Fine Badger, Pine - 21 mm - Size M
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: F.W. Engels, 11/16 Full Hollow, Spike Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Denim White Musk

CzzcvjK.png

Brush: Frank Shaving synthetic
Soap: De Vergule Hand Scheerzeep
Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: 7 O'Clock Green [3]
After-shave: Speick Balm

Terrible photo but great shave.

This Dutch soap makes terrific lather! Slick and thick.

Two day growth was gone in minutes with a single pass. I really love a great Open Comb razor!

The Speick balm isn't as good (IMO) as the splash. The scent certainly isn't as distinct or as strong. Slight greasiness.

Razor: Merkur 39c
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless
Brush: Vie-Long 13064
Soap: Cella
After-shave: Aqua balsamica

First time with this blade, no nicks. Always cautious trying a new blade in the 39c.

Been slowly trying all the Myrsols, Still have F/Extra and Blue to try.
Antesol and Metilsol would have to be my favourites so far.

They're my favourites too. Exactly how an aftershave should feel & smell in my mind.
You're missing Agua Balsamica. The Mediterranean countryside in Spring smells delightful!
I also think Formula C is a classic scent of a previous generation. True that most don't like floral scents these days, but it's got a beautiful elegance about it. Definitely under-rated.

20150514_SOTDS_zpsyfevbjoo.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24/48 Synthetic
Soap: Bald As Private Label #1 unscented (Soap made and kindly donated by Bald As)
Post-shave: Alum, Ghanese Organic Shea Butter, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Haze

Another great shave today - and my gratitude goes to @bald as ! At our last Adelaide Meet-up he kindly donated some of his home made soap and today I finally had a chance to try it out. It is soft - very similar like Cella I would say - and has a nice natural colour. I was very impressed with it's performance! Very easy to load, made huge amounts of nice lather, held the shape over the whole shape...so ticked all the boxes you would expect from a nice shaving soap. I would like to have a bit more cushion, but that could have been easily me, not loading enough. In any case a very impressive effort and I cannot wait to try the future formulations!!!

My shave today was an SE affair with a lovely lithe Feather Weight with a GEM SS ptfe blade [3]
Soap was my #3 recipe. Loaded and lathered well. Lather made in scuttle.
2 Passes with cold water rinse between passes.
Finished with a cold face "shower"
The Feather Weight is a very mild easy to use GEM but gives great close shaves.
I will have a brand new LH Progress adjustable for sale soon - very soon.

@alfredus - thank you for the more than kind words on my soap effort. I'm up to version #3 so I will need to brew a batch to bring you and any others that turn up on Sunday a small sample. Again I will make it unscented.
Steve

I thank you for the opportunity to try it out and looking very much forward to the next version!

Soap: B&M Cheshire
Brush: Chubby 2
Razor: Pre-War Tech
Blade: Personna LB (4)
Post-shave: L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive ASB

Razor: Gillette Rocket 'Parat'
Blade: Schick Double Edge ( Energizer )
Cream: Nivea Sensitive
Brush: Vie-Long 13061
A.F: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Classic 3 pass shave, close, fresh & neat.

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Soap/Cream: Caties Bubbles Le Piment de la Vie
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [3]
After-shave: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente milk
Scent: L'Occitane Baux

Funeral today for my wife's grandmother. I didn't know her well.

Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven - Barbershop
Razor: Merkur Slant
Blade: Personna Blue
After-shave: Nivea sensitive balm

My favourite soap and blade.
The slant made very light work of 7 days worth. 3 pass BBS, NBD.
@filobiblic my condolences to you and yours.

Last edited:
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap/Cream: Cella
Razor: Weber
Blade: Voshkod [3]
After-shave: F/Extra

Didn't get as much protection/cushion as I'd have expected from the Cella. Happy enough by shave's end though. The F/Extra is growing on me...might need to back-up the sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.