Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@stillshunter as I have never used a straight ( I would hate to think what sort of damage I would do to my face with a straight :)) I don't know why the Caties Bubbles Soap didn't work well with a straight. Did you ever get a chance to use the LPV sample? That is my favourite smelling Caties Bubble soap and probably in my top 5 favourite smelling soaps.

Thanks mate. I've seen some stunning photos of his handles on Shave Nook. Best of luck with getting your brush - I'm sure it will be worth the waiting time.

I did decide as the Dark Holler brush will be a while away to order a Shavemac two band silvertip. Should arrive in the next few weeks.

@stillshunter as I have never used a straight ( I would hate to think what sort of damage I would do to my face with a straight :)) I don't know why the Caties Bubbles Soap didn't work well with a straight. Did you ever get a chance to use the LPV sample? That is my favourite smelling Caties Bubble soap and probably in my top 5 favourite smelling soaps.
...and that's why I wonder whether I've lost a little of the edge mate, as I did some research before this morning's shave and many straight shavers swear by Catie's Bubbles. I really like the Spice of Life and this March of Rash

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap/Cream: Caties' Bubbles Barnegat Bay (Thanks @SydBJW)
Razor: Feather AS-D2 (Thanks @MrT)
Blade: Feather [1]
After-shave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
After-shave: @shavetheman Aftershave balm

Caties Bubbles soap is always a winner and I can't really fault the lather from a sample of their Barnegat Bay. Thanks go to @SydBJW for the sample from last month's Sydney meet up. (Always a good reason to catch up with fellow wet shavers in person!)

It's been a few shaves with the Feather AS-D2 and I've gotten to know it a bit better. It's a very smooth and comfortable razor when paired with a Feather blade (that's all I've ever shaved with mind you!). I went too hard with it earlier in the week as it was so comfortable, but that over-ease led me into trouble with a few ingrowns under the chin. I've found that it's efficient and yet very comfortable indeed. However I've found it does tend to give me the odd weeper for some reason. I'll give it a few more goes before it returns to its master.

Bay Rum is perfect for these cooler months!

Congratulations, great looking brush. I sent an email to Ken a few weeks ago, I will wait to his website is up and hopefully join a waitlist for one of his brushes in the future ;)

I did decide as the Dark Holler brush will be a while away to order a Shavemac two band silvertip. Should arrive in the next few weeks.

Thank you and fantastic idea - the shavemac is the next or 2nd next on the list and I would love to hear your thoughts on it in comparison with the Paladin.

What knot did you order? I hope a 26mm in Fan :D :D :D

Razor: Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Gem (2)
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Antesol

The third shave on this blade felt wonderful. I may be able to get five out of it going by how it's performed thus far.

I'm counting down the hours to the next glorious SE shave.

A rather late and leisurely shave today ...

100715_zpstsj4n3vj.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime Oil and Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol
Brush : Chikuhodo Kumano ( Blend of Tanuki, Horse and Badger furs)
Soap : Mondial Spiced Mandarine
Razor : Iwasaki Kamisori
After Shave : Musgo Real Orange Amber

The Kamisori learning curve continues, accompanied by a very small but constant improvement in technique and confidence..

This doesn't really class as a SOTD but I'm so thrilled. I got a straight from @Mark the other day and determined I would have a go. Checks not really a problem - they are relatively flat, everything else looks a lot like I may have this thing as a conversation piece in the bathroom. Tonight I tried again but I wanted to see if it was at all possible to shave my top lip with the straight as I had heard it is one of the hardest areas to do. Well it took quite a length of time and after I adapted my own style of holding the razor I managed to very cleanly remove the whiskers right up under the nose and smoothly along both lips.

As I said, just the top lip but as good as my SE razor so this thing really has potential. But as I saw in a post by @filobiblic I won't get too cocky. Just yet.

Steve

This doesn't really class as a SOTD but I'm so thrilled. I got a straight from @Mark the other day and determined I would have a go. Checks not really a problem - they are relatively flat, everything else looks a lot like I may have this thing as a conversation piece in the bathroom. Tonight I tried again but I wanted to see if it was at all possible to shave my top lip with the straight as I had heard it is one of the hardest areas to do. Well it took quite a length of time and after I adapted my own style of holding the razor I managed to very cleanly remove the whiskers right up under the nose and smoothly along both lips.

As I said, just the top lip but as good as my SE razor so this thing really has potential. But as I saw in a post by @filobiblic I won't get too cocky. Just yet.

Steve
Wow. Most people start with their cheeks. You start with one of the hardest areas. Kudos. [emoji54]

Friday 10 July 2015

206245d1436528456-sun-july-05th-sat-july-11th-sotd-10072015.jpg

Still Traveling with Mastro Livi Last New Grind

Still on the road and still shaving with this magnificent Mastro Livi "Last New Grind". And my shaving soap, of course. This razor is really amazing: not just a masterpiece to look at, but also an exciting blade with a very long story to tell and brought to life by Mastro Livi. Most of you probably know Mastro Livi "New Grind" straight razors were made by using a stock of blanks he bought from Paolo Fazzini "Pinin" and which story is partly unknown. The blanks were certainly made in the 1930s or in the beginning of 1940s and never used by the original owner for making straight razors. Mastro Livi bought the whole stock - consisting of some hundreds of blanks - tempered and ground, giving them a full hollow grinding, and then sold all over the world. It is always so nice to shave while holding in your hands important pieces of history just like this one, which is also the "last one" of the very long series of Mastro Livi "New Grind" straight razors.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Sephora Badger 491
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last New Grind", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

Steve
Shit Steve straight from arithmetic to algebra. Nice one. I'm pretty confident with the cheeks, under lip and neck WTG. I struggle with my upper lip - I always have a little fluffy chicken arse going under my nostrils. I assume a little XTG action would help here, but then so would a hand that doesn't shake at the thought. I've not really ventured XTG or ATG anywhere except the flattest areas of the cheeks. Anything but WTG on the chin or under it are like counting beyond the fingers I have.

So, me, I'm still reciting my times tables every weekend...and will for a while longer I suspect. Happy watching folks jump ahead of me in class though mate, humility is my life's lesson.

5J2BpS5.jpg

First shave with the Simpson Classic. I'm very impressed!

The superior shave described it as "a gluttonous, stocky scrub bucket of lather larceny" perfect.

Big thanks to @Nightguard for cutting a great deal for me

The B&M Is a sweet bright floral which was pretty refreshing on this bleak day.

Status
Not open for further replies.