Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Smog 1305
Soap/Cream: B&M Latha
Razor: Georg Butler KEEN 5/8
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather [5]
After-shave: Antesol

It won't relent. Been masticating over and over on the possible issues (and resolve) with my straight as highlighted during yesterday's SOTD. So although I normally like to rest on the Sabbath, I couldn't help but go in for a shave. Couldn't resist testing a few things, eliminating some niggling maybes. So took very careful control of today's lather once again in the bowl (Mensbiz Lather Bowl v.2 by Bridget Foley....highly recommended). Chose Latha this time as another sure slick lather that likes water. So I made it very slick....came out very nice indeed. So just having hopped out of a nice hot shower, I applied generously to the face (and effectively face lathered to really get it under the stubble....I got you beat this time Mr. Straight). Studiously placed the cutting angle and.....

....well still not that impressive TBH. Just like yesterday no apparent issues with the sharpness - I mean the blade cut the stubble - but the metal didn't glide like a DE glides across the face. The whole passing affair felt forced. Yep, zero pressure with the fingers guiding and letting gravity do it's...well nothing really. I tried slightly different angles. I tried it in slow-mo and it did kind of feel that the glide was being interrupted by the stubble. Is this subtle resistance the first sign of tugging maybe? Again, I think this is the answer. Again, I look forward to my freshly honed #66 arriving from @Mark next week so we can test this theory next Saturday.

My stubborn experimentation to one side - the Feathers continued to deliver, esp. in company of the Latha. Love it! And Antesol was the icing on the cake.

....oh yeah and if you want yourself a great boar, get yourself a 1305 (and 620)!

20150711_SOTDS_zpsqrcr1ksc.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Gillette Rubie (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Bald As Private Label #3 unscented (Soap made and kindly donated by @bald as )
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Very nice early morning shave today. I had #3 from @bald as sitting in my cupboard for a while and I apologise for the time it took, to finally use it!

First things first: the scent (or lack of thereof) - FANTASTIC!!! Now you think I am making a fool of you, but I am not kidding - this is an unscented soap and it does not smell of anything! So next time some soap maker wants to tell you, that the base scent of the soap is interfering with the intended scent BLA BLA BLA... All not true! An unscented soap smells (as shows in this example) of nothing and so there should be nothing to interfere with the intended scent of the soap. Maybe this is, because the soap was sitting in my cabinet for some time (wrapped in plastic), I am not sure - but in any case it is possible to get a truly unscented soap and I really like this!

The soap is (like #1) soft and very easy to lather - had a huge amount of lather in no time. The glide was also fantastic and can easily compete with the top soaps out there. My only problem was the cushion - I didn't get the super yoghurty stuff I am after - although it looked very good on the brush and had the perfect shine/gloss. This might well have been a user error though. I might not have loaded the (big) brush long enough...

Post-shave feel was also very good - not like the top Artisans, but no dryness on the face after the shave and can easily compete with many big names out there.

All in all another fantastic effort from @bald as and my deepest respect! Will try #4 (I believe the scented version of #3) on Monday - again many thanks for the opportunity!

The blade was good till the end of the shave, when I started to feel a slight tugging here and there - but all in all a nice solid blade for me.

Razor: Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Agua Balsamica

The bathroom was so cold tonight that I had to make this one a fairly quick shave. It was still a lot of fun though. The blade felt noticeably duller and although I could stretch it to one more shave, I don't see the point. In any case, I want to try the famous 1912 tomorrow evening and I'd like a fresh blade loaded when I do.

Same as last time. Small nick, alum'd it and then on went the @shavetheman balm.

Excellent shave once again, and almost through the Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver. Will be slightly sad to see it gone.

@alfredus have you tried Da Fat ?
Does it have a scent to you nose ?

@alfredus have you tried Da Fat ?
Does it have a scent to you nose ?
Yes and I don't like it - it smells fake :(

Actually the main reason I prefer Haslinger Schafmilch to MWF (besides ease of lather) is the scent - and I'm not a big fan of the Haslinger scent either...

Yes and I don't like it - it smells fake :(

Actually the main reason I prefer Haslinger Schafmilch to MWF (besides ease of lather) is the scent - and I'm not a big fan of the Haslinger scent either...
In that case, carry on.
Most swear da fat has no scent.
It does and Haslinger is one upon my try list, so knowing it's superior to da fat is a good starting point.

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap/Cream: Caties' Bubbles Barnegat Bay (Thanks @SydBJW)
Razor: Feather AS-D2 (Thanks @MrT)
Blade: Feather [1] > New
After-shave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
After-shave: @shavetheman Aftershave balm

Same setup us the previous day but I replaced the blade with a brand new one from a new packet. I wanted to test if I had some dud blades.

But no problems with the blade at all. So it's not the blades but my technique. I think the comfort of the razor on the skin led me to overcompensate. This then caused a few problems for me.

Today I focused harder on my technique and - similar to previous days - I had a smooth, comfortable and close shave. But there was no post-shave troubles this time around. A win! (y)

Brush: Smog 1305
Soap/Cream: B&M Latha
Razor: Georg Butler KEEN 5/8
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather [5]
After-shave: Antesol

It won't relent. Been masticating over and over on the possible issues (and resolve) with my straight as highlighted during yesterday's SOTD. So although I normally like to rest on the Sabbath, I couldn't help but go in for a shave. Couldn't resist testing a few things, eliminating some niggling maybes. So took very careful control of today's lather once again in the bowl (Mensbiz Lather Bowl v.2 by Bridget Foley....highly recommended). Chose Latha this time as another sure slick lather that likes water. So I made it very slick....came out very nice indeed. So just having hopped out of a nice hot shower, I applied generously to the face (and effectively face lathered to really get it under the stubble....I got you beat this time Mr. Straight). Studiously placed the cutting angle and.....

....well still not that impressive TBH. Just like yesterday no apparent issues with the sharpness - I mean the blade cut the stubble - but the metal didn't glide like a DE glides across the face. The whole passing affair felt forced. Yep, zero pressure with the fingers guiding and letting gravity do it's...well nothing really. I tried slightly different angles. I tried it in slow-mo and it did kind of feel that the glide was being interrupted by the stubble. Is this subtle resistance the first sign of tugging maybe? Again, I think this is the answer. Again, I look forward to my freshly honed #66 arriving from @Mark next week so we can test this theory next Saturday.

My stubborn experimentation to one side - the Feathers continued to deliver, esp. in company of the Latha. Love it! And Antesol was the icing on the cake.

....oh yeah and if you want yourself a great boar, get yourself a 1305 (and 620)!

Thanks for sharing, by thoroughly reading your posts what I'm gathering is (and correct me if I'm wrong). It seems that you're still hesitant and uncomfortable about the idea of putting the blade to your face, therefore as soon as it touches your face you're backing off quite fast hence the dragging, yes you're right, no pressure is needed but let me define that in a better way. Push the edge through your stubble, get a good grip on the razor so it's nice and sturdy in your hand but do NOT push the blade into your face if that makes any sense. Try again, do it with confidence because let me tell you something, YOU WILL CUT YOURSELF and you will have to accept it, but It's a lot less likely to do so in your early days of straight shaving, my scars happened 7 years into straight shaving from getting too cocky, not one cut in the first 5 years believe it or not. Keep trying and yes, try you GD when you get it which also has a very good edge on it. If it's still draggy, then it's your technique, if it feels significantly sharper than you may have dulled the GB razor which is ok, it happens in the learning curve hence the complimentary hones I offer to new straight shooters. Good luck on your next go and let us know how it goes :)

Thanks for sharing, by thoroughly reading your posts what I'm gathering is (and correct me if I'm wrong). It seems that you're still hesitant and uncomfortable about the idea of putting the blade to your face, therefore as soon as it touches your face you're backing off quite fast hence the dragging, yes you're right, no pressure is needed but let me define that in a better way. Push the edge through your stubble, get a good grip on the razor so it's nice and sturdy in your hand but do NOT push the blade into your face if that makes any sense. Try again, do it with confidence because let me tell you something, YOU WILL CUT YOURSELF and you will have to accept it, but It's a lot less likely to do so in your early days of straight shaving, my scars happened 7 years into straight shaving from getting too cocky, not one cut in the first 5 years believe it or not. Keep trying and yes, try you GD when you get it which also has a very good edge on it. If it's still draggy, then it's your technique, if it feels significantly sharper than you may have dulled the GB razor which is ok, it happens in the learning curve hence the complimentary hones I offer to new straight shooters. Good luck on your next go and let us know how it goes :)
Thanks @Mark - again great having you in our little community mate - we are definitely the richer for it.

Your words ring true, except I'm actually becoming less apprehensive with the straight than I was. Certainly not cocky but not hesitant. I am kind of comfortable with my angles now and can adjust on the fly OK too. Got an OK grip (very different to Nils first straight shave - what a grip. what a vid! and what a dude!!) So chin and neck (and top lip) are still an issue but improving. It just feels I'm pushing the blade a little too much. Again we'll know more next weekend when I try the Gold Dollar. But another thought I had - especially since the same lathers are so slick with a DE - is whether the hollow creates drag? I mean the angle created with the straight places the edge against the skin and even gets the spine very close - this leaves a natural hollow (or 'gap') where the hollow is. Can lather turning/churning here on the stroke slow the blade down.

Talking out my arse I know but just really curious. Love the aesthetic of the straight and just want to be sure to get it right before I turn compensations into bad habits.

Thanks @Mark - again great having you in our little community mate - we are definitely the richer for it.

Your words ring true, except I'm actually becoming less apprehensive with the straight than I was. Certainly not cocky but not hesitant. I am kind of comfortable with my angles now and can adjust on the fly OK too. Got an OK grip (very different to Nils first straight shave - what a grip. what a vid! and what a dude!!) So chin and neck (and top lip) are still an issue but improving. It just feels I'm pushing the blade a little too much. Again we'll know more next weekend when I try the Gold Dollar. But another thought I had - especially since the same lathers are so slick with a DE - is whether the hollow creates drag? I mean the angle created with the straight places the edge against the skin and even gets the spine very close - this leaves a natural hollow (or 'gap') where the hollow is. Can lather turning/churning here on the stroke slow the blade down.

Talking out my arse I know but just really curious. Love the aesthetic of the straight and just want to be sure to get it right before I turn compensations into bad habits.
You're right that DE's generally don't have drag, mainly because the blades are very rigid once tightened down in the razor in which the cutting of the blade is maintained by the safety bar as well as the angle, that's what makes them 2 different animals. Straights being heavily reluctant on your freehand skills and keeping the skin taught with your other hand is where it requires practice, don't get frustrated if you don't nail it right away because no one does and everyone is different. For example I had a lot of trouble when I went to DE after straights because they're just not comparable, gave up on them for a while and went back to them only a year ago. But if everything was too straight forward then where's the fun in that :)
If at any time you feel like you've done something to your edge or doesn't feel right don't worry about it, feel free to send it so I could inspect it for peace of mind purposes and give you a complimentary tweak if need being, for now, use your GD as a set of training wheels and do whatever you wish to it, those things can take a beating for what they're worth.

Ahhhhh you might have hit on something there mate. The drag might have something to do with the tautness of my skin. I do it as religiously as an Orthodox at the start of the shave, a Catholic in the middle and peter out to an Anglican by the end ;)

Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Gem
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

The Clog Pruf has been dethroned. The MMOC is now the best razor I've used and I doubt anything can better it. It also happens to be the most aggressive razor I've ever used. It shits all over the r41 & Fatip - there is no comparison. Paradoxically though, the MMOC gives an incredibly gentle and comfortable shave. A delightfully noisy shave.

In the DE world, generally speaking as 'aggression' goes up, 'comfort' goes down. The textbook example is the r41. What I'm finding in the SE world is that as 'aggression' goes up, 'comfort' goes up too. There's no such thing as a free lunch of course and the trade off is that with SEs, the potential to do serious damage increases as aggression increases. I'm willing to take that risk. There will never be a quick shave with the MMOC. Having said that, one pass is seriously doable with this razor. I was well shaven after two but I went ahead for the third all the same.

The only sensible way to finish off such a good shave was with The Veg.

Thanks so much @bald as for letting me try a genuinely classic (and scary) razor.

Last edited:
The MMOC is a very interesting razor. I'm so pleased you are enjoying the experience. It certainly has a fair amount of blade exposure next to the skin. So you'll be looking for a MMOC to add to the "family".

Status
Not open for further replies.