Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
My shave of the day was a combination SE and Straight razor. As I climb the slopes of the straight I'm following advice given to advance slowly with small accomplishments each shave. First pass was the SE shaving the whole face followed by the straight doing a WTG pass on the cheeks and neck. I tackled a small area of the chin as well and called it complete.

@khun_diddy after the MMOC the next step is a straight.

My shave of the day was a combination SE and Straight razor. As I climb the slopes of the straight I'm following advice given to advance slowly with small accomplishments each shave. First pass was the SE shaving the whole face followed by the straight doing a WTG pass on the cheeks and neck. I tackled a small area of the chin as well and called it complete.

@khun_diddy after the MMOC the next step is a straight.

And as we discussed, I think a Kamisori will be the way I'll transition from the 'blade on the stick'.

Sunday 12 July 2015

206434d1436709876-sun-july-12th-sat-july-18th-july-12th-memory-neil-miller-sotd-12072015.jpg

Getting Ready to Go Back Home: RazorGuy Shave

I am about to go back home and before leaving - like every gentleman should do - it is better to shave. A very good and vain shave, I would add. That's why I wanted to use all of my shaving products I brought with me as well as the only straight razor I had in my bag. As for the razor, I could not ask for anything better - the very last Mastro Livi New Grind, as for the shaving products, I am certainly happy for that. My pre-shave oil, my shaving soap and my latest aftershave, fresh and refreshing, it was the perfect companion for this very hot milanese day. I am already looking forward to work on my new shaving soap formula and this is what I will certainly do on someday next week. I am very happy with my shaving soap but I want it to be even better. As for the razor, a feather sliding on my skin, velvety and smooth, for a deep and very satisfactory shave.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10083
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last New Grind", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair 13066
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Merkur 34C HD
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (13)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan Oil

School holidays finished down here today so back to fighting for space in the bathroom. Will either have to get up earlier (god forbid) or go back to shaving in the evening when I can relax and really enjoy it. Dropped the La Brune WS in the 34C cause it hasn't seen much use recently. Reckon I still got a few shaves left in it but starting to tug a little.

Yes it get better and better with every use and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Spot on, they age so well. Outdoes my silvertipped badgers on the face - (just hope they last as long).

I didn't want to hear that...
I beg to differ, I think it is exactly what you needed to hear my friend. Your hear it often and heed it never. For shame!

I think a few of you are from the Pokemon era mentally with regards to shaving kit - except it's 'Gotta try them all' instead of have them all.

I think a few of you are from the Pokemon era mentally with regards to shaving kit - except it's 'Gotta try them all' instead of have them all.
I'm of an earlier generation that needs them all! Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong II, Donkey Kong Junior, Oil Panic, etc.

Another day, another shave :)

150713_zps5gwauywh.png

Face Wash : Musgo Real/O Melhor Exfoliant pre-shave soap
Pre Shave : Floid pre-shave oil
Brush : Trumper SB3 Super Badger
Soap : Tabac
Razor : Iwasaki Kamisori
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica

A satisfying shave, but the face is seriously due for a little R&R time - I've gotten to the stage where I'm shaving unhealed nicks from previous shaves. Not a recipe for grooming bliss...

So it goes.....

Appreciate the honesty @Draco Noir - there is often a gulf between the romance and reality....esp. in the honeymoon phase...nothing a bucket of ice can't handle though ;)

BTW: how's the Trumper brush? I saw these while I was OS and they look remarkably like Simpsons brushes - can you compare the two?

I'm of an earlier generation that needs them all! Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong II, Donkey Kong Junior, Oil Panic, etc.
Agreed, when I first got on a computer, the Apple Lisa was barely a twinkle in Steve Jobs eye.
I seem to remember my brother buying and having to build one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum although I could be mistaken.

But I definitely remember playing this on it. Tried again recently on the bbc wesbite and couldn't escape the room before it got destroyed.

20150713_SOTDS_zpsdmwvjet7.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Bald As Lavender & Lime (Soap made and kindly donated by @bald as )
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

After yesterdays Adelaide meet up I could not wait to try @bald as newest creation - especially since it was made for my nose - Lavender with Citrus notes!

The soap smells beautiful and even my wife likes it - which is always a bonus. It is again very soft and loads very readily. Nonetheless I took the advise of its maker and over loaded my brush - which really needs to be done in this case. The result was some of the most glorious lather out there - no bubbles from the beginning, which I really prefer and a slick, glossy and yoghurty mountain on my brush - sorry for the poor picture from my mobile in the bathroom:

PaladinChiefBaldAsLavenderLimeS_zpssnvvsgs6.jpg

I really took the lather to the edge of wetness and it was well worth it. Beautifully slick yet great cushion - this soap can compare with the best of them! I don't just say this - I really mean it! The shave was great and another positive surprise was the Astra blade. I have heard good things about this blade and the Wolf - and the stories are true. Maybe not super super smooth, but very efficient and still comfortable.

The soap was also good in the post shave department - I deliberately waited for ~30 min before applying the olive oil and there was no dryness to be felt. Although the post-shave could be improved, it again is much better than most of the commercial soaps, that dry out your face and is only surpassed by some of the top artisans (Mike's for example).

A truly fantastic effort and I want to congratulate @bald as !!! Now if I was reading this, I would be thinking, how to get my hands on this witches brew :D :D :D

Pre: Proraso Green
Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Gem (1)
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Old Spice

I finished off an almost empty jar of Proraso. I imagined it would make the blade glide better but it had the opposite effect and my skin felt a little tacky while shaving. I wonder if it interferes with the lanolin absorbing. Nonetheless, the end result was very good and I enjoyed the cool skin. I won't buy a replacement jar though.

It's been a while since I've used Old Spice, 140 days in fact. I should use it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.