Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that there's just as much variation with SEs as there is with DEs. The ones I've tried have ranged from unshaveable to pure bliss.
Ah, but also remember that not all will convert to the SE branch of wet shaving. [emoji6]

Tuesday 4 August 2015

208376d1438681329-sun-august-02nd-sat-august-08th-sotd-04082015.jpg

Vacation time with an Italian Razor

I am on vacation and I decided to take with me my latest Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano", this magnificent beauty made of artisan stainless damascus steel, of course made by Mastro Livi himself. I thought this "Italian razor" needed a good companion so I paired it with the well known Omega bristle brush "bandiera italiana" because of its three bands handle having the color of the Italian flag. I guess they look great together and the brush is the usual Omega lathering maker: it made a huge amount of lather with my artisan shaving soap. As for Mastro Livi stainless steel damascus, the more I use it the more I realize this one is a super efficient and amazing blade, absolutely an impeccable and extraordinary super performing straight razor. To put the icing on the cake and to get a relief from this summer heat, I got a super cooling breeze from my Thyrrenus aftershave, the one I especially made for summertime with a strong refreshing effect on the skin. The right cooling touch for this super hot summer!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega "Bandiera Italiana" 21762
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Stainless Damascus "Rasoio Italiano", 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

Brush: Aesop (23mm STF v.2)
Lather: Occams
Razor: AS-D2
Blade: Feather (1)
After-shave: Pinaud Clubman

I couldn't stomach the image of the massacred and maimed Feather from yesterday. So by way of reassuring my AS-D2, we shaved. And she played well with others, shaved well and we, today, were very happy. We will not let that ever happen to her, whatever the blemish.
P.S., almost forgot just how good Occams is. Brilliant lather!

So... by way of reassuring my AS-D2, we shaved. And she played well with others, shaved well and we, today, were very happy. We will not let that ever happen to her, whatever the blemish...

There is something a little disturbing about your SOTD posts sometimes ...

Pre-Shave @Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Razorock Stealth Slant
Blade Perma-Sharp Super
Post Shave RazoRock XX Aftershave Milk

Shaved in the shower tonight, not so worried about making a mess when face lathering. Been a while since I used the Latha and the scent is really growing on me now it has had a number of shave - not as antiseptic as it was initially. Lovely shave except for under the nose where the Stealth Slant can't reach well.

3rd MWF shave on a row in my attempt at using it the whole month. Why do I do this to myself?
Can't think of anything else you'd need in Winter mate.
I did this exact same thing in September last year....or was it the year before. A whole month using nothing but Tabac. I survived. The scent burned all and any hairs in the vicinity of my nostrils (jeez they need it, like I'm struggling a couple of tarantulas).

Can't think of anything else you'd need in Winter mate.
I did this exact same thing in September last year....or was it the year before. A whole month using nothing but Tabac. I survived. The scent burned all and any hairs in the vicinity of my nostrils (jeez they need it, like I'm struggling a couple of tarantulas).
It's supposed to be summer here in England. Supposed to be heading up to the sizzling temperature of 23 degrees tomorrow lol.

Interesting to hear about Tabacs nasal hair melting powers. Why is it you get to a certain age and the hairs start sprouting?

No sotd for me yesterday. There was supposed to be, but as I dipped my brush into the gel of soap that is jabonmans Lima incienso a tiny piece of it came flying out, and went straight into my eye.
Man that hurt. Not sure if the menthol made it worse, but I had a stream of water running over it for nearly 15 minutes and it still stung like hell.
Just woke up to a crusty, weepy eye which still feels sore.

No sotd for me yesterday. There was supposed to be, but as I dipped my brush into the gel of soap that is jabonmans Lima incienso a tiny piece of it came flying out, and went straight into my eye.
Man that hurt. Not sure if the menthol made it worse, but I had a stream of water running over it for nearly 15 minutes and it still stung like hell.
Just woke up to a crusty, weepy eye which still feels sore.
Ouch! Does not sound good at all.
You Northerners have a habit of harming yourselves during your shaves...

@Lifes a Peach , that there is the only Fine I'm keen on trying. What's your take on it mate?

It's like a masculine citrus scent. Not orange sweet, if that makes any sense. I specifically purchased it to match with the CRSW Orange but I look for any excuse to use it now. Fine American Blend is very good, very good, but I like this one just a bit better.

Ouch! Does not sound good at all.
You Northerners have a habit of harming yourselves during your shaves...
I guess it didn't sting quite as much as your recent little escapade.
I've had lather in my eye before, and while it's not something I would choose to do on a regular basis, it is infinitely more comfortable than the pure soap was.

Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: Gillette Knack
Blade: Polsilver Brown
Soap: Derby Stick
A/S: Skin Bracer

Great shave, completely ruined by the foul Arko like stench of the Derby Stick, absolutely disgusting, how anyone uses that scent by choice is beyond me. It has now gone the way of of all bad smells, into a used nappy bag!

It's like a masculine citrus scent. Not orange sweet, if that makes any sense. I specifically purchased it to match with the CRSW Orange but I look for any excuse to use it now. Fine American Blend is very good, very good, but I like this one just a bit better.

Call it L'Orange Noir no doubt with a serious price tag and suddenly it's "masculine citrus scent". Call it Arko and sell it for bugger all and it smells like a public urinal. That's what they need to do, call it D'Arko and quadruple the price. The shaving world will be salivating over the new formula.

Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: Gillette Knack
Blade: Polsilver Brown
Soap: Derby Stick
A/S: Skin Bracer

Great shave, completely ruined by the foul Arko like stench of the Derby Stick, absolutely disgusting, how anyone uses that scent by choice is beyond me. It has now gone the way of of all bad smells, into a used nappy bag!
Arko like stench. @Nightguard ARKO!!!!, apart from having excellent lathering qualities exudes an essence unique unto itself. It is the only shaving product that can truly say that is smells like an eau de toilette.

Brush: Vie-Long Horse & Boar
Soap/Cream: Geo F Trumper Violets
Razor: Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Blade: GBE [6]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C
After-shave: @shavetheman Aftershave balm

After the face lather on Monday I went with the bowl today. Whipped up a storm of lather from the GFT Violets cream. Lovely scent but -meh!- performance for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.