Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
20150802_SOTDS_zpslbgajxkh.jpg

Pre-Shave: Bald As Lavender & Mandarin (Sof Pre-shave soap made and kindly donated by Bald As), cold water
Pre-Shave Brush: Semogue 610
Razor: Mongoose
Blade: Feather Professional (2)
Brush: Paladin 2015 TSN LE
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Finally a reason to use 2 shaving brushes in one shave :ROFLMAO:

Many thanks to @bald as for his kind donation - the Lavender & Mandarin soft pre-shave soap works very well and smells very nice. It was a strange feeling using the Semogue for a non-lathering soap - the brush is very small, especially without any lather building up in it.

The new Paladin is a dream - wonderfully soft and luxurious tips with a decent backbone that gives a very gentle massage. It made the slickest and wettest Mike's lather - almost to the point where I had to glad wrap the whole bathroom :D :D :D

The second shave with the Goose was miles better - but...

I had to take really extreme care and use -0% pressure. I find the handle is for such a usage almost too big and I will try the razor with a shorter handle next time. I did a 3+ pass shave - I combined my third and fourth pass. The result was a nice - maybe DFS - shave with only 2 tiny weepers - but I really had to work extremely long and hard for it. I am yet to be convinced, that the SE is more efficient than my DE's - but the journey has just started, so let's see how I go in the next weeks.

Haha @alfredus, only the most committed wet shaver with a Paladin brush could find a reason to use 2 brushes for one shave ;)

Pity the Mongoose isn't playing nicely for you. How soon will your blade sample pack arrive? Sounds like you really need to try a different blade - a setup as aggressive sounding as that could at least deliver a decently close shave :( Shout out if you're in a hurry to try a different blade - I would be happy to help.

Brush: Commodore X2
Lather: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: Mergress (2.5)
Blade: PSS (2)
After-shave: Antesol

Yep 2.5 on the Mergress was good territory. Funny how with even an extra 0.5 you could really feel more f the blade. A mighty close shave. I know the Mergress played it's role, but the PSS and Jabonman played their part.

Pretty happy with the Mergress. Don't think I need a Fatboy no more.
OK, time for another secret: I loved the Progress on 2.5 - I tried not one, but 2 Fatboys (just to make sure) and I hated them! Everything under 4 and you don't get a close shave, but even on 4 there is no smoothness...don't waste time and money.

What, when, how?

Who sold a razor WITHOUT tell me?
What you wanted to buy it back? I need the funds to buy more razors (straights)...it's the circle of life especially in this here jungles

OK, time for another secret: I loved the Progress on 2.5 - I tried not one, but 2 Fatboys (just to make sure) and I hated them! Everything under 4 and you don't get a close shave, but even on 4 there is no smoothness...don't waste time and money.
Hey I found the Fatboy better than the Slim, but the Mergress gets really close....ummm the Feather gets closer than the Gillette adjustables.

Really appreciate your honesty and support mate. Remember me when the Ban strikes me.

Last edited:
Pre-Shave @@Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra
Razor Razorock Stealth Slant vs Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Voshkod / Perma-Sharp Super
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & RazoRock One X Aftershave Milk

Day two of the Slant-Off. Attempted to keep variables to a minimum so same as yesterday except I switched sides with the razors (Ikon left / Stealth right)- to take into account may variable grain patterns.
Also to try and make it quasi-scientific I also switched blades so the Voshkod stayed on the left and the PSS on the right.

After the second pass the Ikon #102 had produced a slightly closer shave again, but after the third pass it is very hard to tell. Slightly better face feel on the left side today.

During the shave there is a noticeable difference between the razors. The Stealth Slant has a larger head and the section of head under the blade makes it very easy to find the correct angle. However, the head also has a tendency to hold a bit of water that can cause runs in the lather unless shaken out well. The weight of the Ikon is very obvious when you pick it up after the Stealth.

Both razors give a great shave - many thanks @Draco Noir for giving me the chance to try these wonderful razors! If you get a chance to try either of these jump on it.

If I had to choose between them I would go with the Ikon #102 - luckily @nav1 posted one on BST (hopefully I'm not too late)

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Soap Commander Passion
Post Shave: Soap Commander Balm
Two pass shave. The brush is up to about twenty uses now and performs beautifully. Lathers well and is soft on the face. I like the soap commander balm it gives a nice cooling sensation for about twenty minutes after application.
20150804_074832 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

20150804_SOTDS_zpsohpi6fwg.jpg

Pre-Shave: Bald As Lavender & Mandarin (Sof Pre-shave soap made and kindly donated by Bald As), cold water
Pre-Shave Brush: Whipped Synthetic 24/48
Razor: Mongoose with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Feather Professional Super (3)
Soap: Cold River Soap Work Select Savon # 1
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Third shave with the Goose and the Weber handle definitely improves things. Maybe it is a bit too short/light as the head is very heavy. Will try my ATT Kronos next, but changing the handle is definitely a step in the right direction.

Having said that, I went for a 4 pass shave today and still got a couple of weepers. Again nothing substantial, but still...and of course a nice hit with the Alum. I am definitely honing my technique with this razor - it needs more attention than the R41 I had on loan! And I would still say, that I get closer shaves with my favourite DE's...which is very weird. At least the blade is now nice and smooth and I hope it will hold for a couple more shaves.

On a side note: the WD synth managed to even lather @bald as pre-shave soap - a newbie might have even attempted to shave with it :D :D :D

No photos today. You blokes are embarrassing me with the quality of your photos And me with a lousy iPhone 4. Anyway.

For the last 5 days:

Cold water shave.
Brush: $8 Body Shop synth
Soap: Johnny GoodSir TMBR
Bowl: Wooden bowl
Bowl Lather: That synth produces lather by just waving it over the bowl
Razor: Funky Monkey 6/8 straight
A/S: Brut Original

JGS TMBR: What a scent - whiskey, timber, manly. Not sure what soap I'll use for the next few days; probably Shaver Heaven Vertiver but that could change tomorrow morning with my mood at that time.

Last edited:
SOTD - Learning experience.

Brush Vie Long Horse
Soap Tallow based/Tea Tree scented
Razors Gem Jewel and a Cut throat.
Finished with Macadamia nut oil and water.

I am working through my technique with 2 of my razors. The Gem Jewel which I used for 1 3/4 passes today and my Cut throat which I'm seriously starting to enjoy for some strange fear laden reason.

Under the nose is a real challenge with a CT, there is no blade guard, just blade so today I got my shave basically finished with the Gem and then for a full pass, under the nose and the chin etc I used the CT. Although it was only picking up the odd whisker it did give me a sense of the blade and the angle and the pressure needed.

The shave with both razors turned out well with no cuts or weepers today. I will eventually get a full handle on this beast called the Cut throat razor but I do intend to take all the time needed to learn how to handle one properly.

Steve

20150804_SOTDS_zpsohpi6fwg.jpg

Pre-Shave Brush: Whipped Synthetic 24/48
Razor: Mongoose with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Feather Professional Super (3)
Soap: Cold River Soap Work Select Savon # 1

Third shave with the Goose and the Weber handle definitely improves things. Maybe it is a bit too short/light as the head is very heavy. Will try my ATT Kronos next, but changing the handle is definitely a step in the right direction.

Having said that, I went for a 4 pass shave today and still got a couple of weepers. Again nothing substantial, but still...and of course a nice hit with the Alum. I am definitely honing my technique with this razor - it needs more attention than the R41 I had on loan! And I would still say, that I get closer shaves with my favourite DE's...which is very weird. At least the blade is now nice and smooth and I hope it will hold for a couple more shaves.

On a side note: the WD synth managed to even lather @bald as pre-shave soap - a newbie might have even attempted to shave with it :D :D :D
Remember that there's just as much variation with SEs as there is with DEs. The ones I've tried have ranged from unshaveable to pure bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.