Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sotd for me yesterday. There was supposed to be, but as I dipped my brush into the gel of soap that is jabonmans Lima incienso a tiny piece of it came flying out, and went straight into my eye.
Man that hurt. Not sure if the menthol made it worse, but I had a stream of water running over it for nearly 15 minutes and it still stung like hell.
Just woke up to a crusty, weepy eye which still feels sore.
Ha Ha Ha man I don't use the term often but I was LMAO while ROFL. Between that and the starkers run with the MiL during extreme shrinkage. Sorry I know I'm supposed to be sympathetic and all but bugger me that's hilarious., Oh boy. I'm crying here!

It's like a masculine citrus scent. Not orange sweet, if that makes any sense. I specifically purchased it to match with the CRSW Orange but I look for any excuse to use it now. Fine American Blend is very good, very good, but I like this one just a bit better.
I got to have this then. Sounds like it will complement my Terre d'Hermes perfectly! Not your usual scent but easily in my Top Three!

Great shave, completely ruined by the foul Arko like stench of the Derby Stick, absolutely disgusting, how anyone uses that scent by choice is beyond me. It has now gone the way of of all bad smells, into a used nappy bag!
You're a poet mate. And a man that tells it like it is! Life's too short to smother your face in the wrong toiletries. Join the arko disrespect club mate...more members than the contrarians misattribute exclamation marks.

Last edited:
I got to have this then. Sounds like it will complement my Terre d'Hermes perfectly! Not your usual scent but easily in my Top Three!
Funny you should mention that...
From the Fine website:
Noir was inspired by Terre d’Hermès and is a scent that defies categorization. A totally unique, yet thoroughly sublime blend - pairing fresh orange rind with rich, earthy minerals, L’Orange Noir must be experienced to be fully appreciated.

Funny you should mention that...
From the Fine website:
Well that's it. Put me down for a bottle! C'mon, c'mon, where do I buy it from....

tumblr_mga3faftNp1rjv730o2_500.jpg

Brush: Commodore X2
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: AS-D2
Blade: Feather (2)
After-shave: Metilsol

Inspired by @unobtainium81 's fidelity to MWF, I went with the only soap that might hold a candle to its sheep filled goodness. Honest I'm buggered of I know which is better. Only thing I do know is the tub the Haslinger comes in is complete rubbish. I'm going to transfer it out.

Brush: Vie-Long Horse & Boar
Soap/Cream: Geo F Trumper Violets
Razor: Gillette British Aristocrat #15

After the face lather on Monday I went with the bowl today. Whipped up a storm of lather from the GFT Violets cream. Lovely scent but -meh!- performance for me.

What's the Aristocrat like? My week with the Slim has got me hankering for another vintage!

What's the Aristocrat like? My week with the Slim has got me hankering for another vintage!
Well, I initially didn't like the one I had borrowed... But with this recent acquisition I've really taken to it. I don't know if it's the older blade (or the previous blade was a mis-match), but it's been very smooth. The teeth seem very similar (the same?) as the NEW LC - which is probably my favourite Gillette vintage.

So definitely a thumbs up from me.
I believe this is one of @Mark1966's favourite razors (and so that says a lot!).

That explains it why this one smells so good. Got my eye on the Fresh Vetiver now to compliment my Fougere's.
Yeah, I've got my eye on a few too... I...just...have to...wait...so....close...!!!

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Shaver Heaven Neroli
Post Shave: Pinaud Clubman
Two pass shave WTG then XTG. Is it possible for a soap to get better after five or six uses? The slickness was just out of this world after my first pass. Almost could have shaved without re-lathering. The face feel after the shave was amazing. Shaver Heaven has moved into the number one spot. First time use of the Pinaud Clubman. Great classic scent.
20150806_074555 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Still like a zombie....

Razor:
E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum, England 1Q69 (4)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann 'Lavanille'

Blade performing well on shave 5 however detected a slight loss of sharpness. I have thrown a couple of these at @Nick the Knife along with some other blades in return for more of his non-shave soaps. Should be interesting to know what he thinks of them in his Red Tip.

This STM Balm is the shit with Lavanille - works really well together. In fact, if you haven't tried it yet then you definitely need to. No greasiness at all.

This STM Balm is the shit with Lavanille - works really well together. In fact, if you haven't tried it yet then you definitely need to. No greasiness at all.
I agree. It's very good.
Less than a week to wait until you can buy it! [emoji6]

You are being very cryptic. Will there be a big announcement.
I am being very cryptic. Sorry about that, I'm just not sure how much I should say since it's not my news. I'd love to say much more but I feel it's not my place.
I do believe there will be an announcement. It won't be big... It'll be amazingly stupendous!!! [emoji38]

20150806_SOTDSINVERT_zpscuztswlz.jpg

Pre-Shave: Bald As Lavender & Mandarin (Soft Pre-shave soap made and kindly donated by Bald As), cold water
Pre-Shave Brush: Whipped Dog Synthetic 24/48
Razor: Mongoose with Above the Tie Kronos handle
Blade: Feather Professional Super (4)
Brush: Paladin 2015 TSN LE
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Best shave with the Goose today but sadly also the least close :(

Others have commented on this before, but these SE blades die in a different way than DE blades: there is no tugging and pulling, they are just blunt and you have to force them through your whiskers.

The 4 passes were definitely the most comfortable I had so far with the Goose, but unfortunately the shave was at the most a DFS...

The brush is getting better and better - ultra soft tips, with a bit of scrub, really nice.

Brush: Smog #620
Lather: Wickham's Southsea Spray
Razor: Gillette NEW LC (UK)
Blade: PSS (3)
After-shave: Metilsol

Brush and lather were faultless. Razor was, well OK, the result was close but maybe a little too close - it just wasn't comfortable. Well not as comfortable as the Feather, Mergress, Weber PH or EJ89 for that matter. AS did what it does best. Looking forward to getting me some Fine (Orange Noir is a must!) to see whether it's in the same league as Myrsol. The face feel of that Spanish ambrosia is spot-o for my skin post scraping.

Status
Not open for further replies.