Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush and lather were faultless. Razor was, well OK, the result was close but maybe a little too close - it just wasn't comfortable. Well not as comfortable as the Feather, Mergress, Weber PH or EJ89 for that matter.
User error? [emoji11]
Perhaps it takes a little to get back into the swing of the vintage razors...

User error? [emoji11]
Perhaps it takes a little to get back into the swing of the vintage razors...
Mate I can't argue with that....and the few vintages I have left (NEW LC, Fat Tech and Black Beauty) aren't going anywhere. So I've got ample opportunity to try them out further down the track. Again can't argue with the closeness, we're talking BBS on 95% of Planet Face. Was just not the smoothest road there is all.

Some faces are just not meant for vintages...it's just a fact.

@stillshunter could you please get out a couple of British Aristocrats out of the National Gillette Museum and try them out for the both of us? Preferably a #15, a #16 and a #66. If you don't like them, it's just like I got them out of my system as well without going through the (probably poor) experience :D :D :D

Brush: Shavemac Two Band
Lather: Razo Rock Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze
Razor: Black Beauty
Blade: Perma-Sharp (0), thanks for the blade @JayDee
After-shave: George F Trumper Marlborough Cologne, thanks for the sample @Mark1966

A two pass shave this morning, with a lot of new stuff. First shave with a vintage razor, I like it a lot. Still have to get used to it and find the right settings.

Soap has a very pleasant scent, It has tobacco and something a bit sweeter as well, it is not overly strong but is pleasant.

Blade felt great on the skin and performed well. The aftershave was not my favourite scent but I am still getting used to wearing them.

Some faces are just not meant for vintages...it's just a fact.

@stillshunter could you please get out a couple of British Aristocrats out of the National Gillette Museum and try them out for the both of us? Preferably a #15, a #16 and a #66. If you don't like them, it's just like I got them out of my system as well without going through the (probably poor) experience :D :D :D

Not sure the museum is open for loans mate. It's more a spotlight and drop jaw affair. I'd have to paw over some old SOTDs as I may have used one of these in the past. Let me dig around and I'll let you know what I find.

But, then again, you might be right. Those of use with more modern and refined faces might just demand more than what metal of the wars can muster.

After-shave: George F Trumper Marlborough Cologne, thanks for the sample @Mark1966

A two pass shave this morning, with a lot of new stuff. First shave with a vintage razor, I like it a lot. Still have to get used to it and find the right settings.

Soap has a very pleasant scent, It has tobacco and something a bit sweeter as well, it is not overly strong but is pleasant.

Blade felt great on the skin and performed well. The aftershave was not my favourite scent but I am still getting used to wearing them.
What you have the SA set to mate?

Great shave, @SydBJW and welcome to the world of vintages.

Pre-Shave @Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Toffee Caramel
Razor Razorock Stealth Slant
Blade Perma-Sharp Super
Post Shave RazoRock XX Aftershave Milk

Have been struggling to remember what the scent of the Toffee Caramel reminded my of and it finally came to me during the shave tonight - roasting chestnuts.
Does anyone remember the street vendors that used to roast chestnuts in big wok like pans on the street? That's what I get behind the sweetness of the Toffee Caramel.

ROASTED CHESTNUTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, sweet memories of our first overseas trip. Cold December day in Roma, street vendors with their big steel pans, a folded paper cone of chestnuts. Incredible multi-sense experience, the smell, the taste, the warmth, the texture and feel.

[Sigh]

Thanks @StueyB for bringing it all back ...

Thursday 6 August 2015

208516d1438879033-sun-august-02nd-sat-august-08th-sotd-06082015.jpg

Still on vacation with a Mastro Livi Stainless Damascus Razor

Still on vacation and still suffering this incredible heat. Italy seems to be on fire this summer and it is pretty impossible to find some relief from this tremendous hot temperature joined to a quite oppressing humidity. I fortunately have a sort of relief by shaving, something I am doing with my Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" made of artisan stainless damascus steel. This shave was also the occasion to try this new Felce Azzurra aftershave lotion I bought in a local market and, to tell you the truth, it did not impress me that much. The result was however very good, also thanks - of course - to the excellence of this razor and, let me add this, the smoothness and slickness of my shaving soap. The more I use this soap, the more I like it! I guess I have almost achieved my goal, that is making a shaving soap suitable for straight razor shaving - it can also be used for DE shaving, of course - and I think the formula and the making process I am using are almost meeting the idea I have in mind.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mühle Travel 31 M 530, Silvertip Fibre - Aluminium - 21 mm - Size M
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Stainless Damascus "Rasoio Italiano", 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Felce Azzurra Aftershave Lotion

Barrister & Mann, Satin Tip, Weber, PolSilver, Captain's Choice

Been ages since I've used the Weber. Such a lovely razor. Aggressive, yet gentle. And looks awesome too.

Not sold yet on the Satin Tip. It has that odd springiness that synths can get, which make them hard to splay. Maybe too much backbone? Not sure. I'll keep using it for a bit and see how I go.

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Caties Bubbles LPV
Post Shave: L'occitane bavx
Gentle two pass shave, very enjoyable. Hoping to use a vintage razor soon. Just found my fathers old razors. I think they are black beautys. I will clean them up and post some pics later so you fine gentleman can help with the identification.
20150806_232235 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Not sold yet on the Satin Tip. It has that odd springiness that synths can get, which make them hard to splay. Maybe too much backbone? Not sure. I'll keep using it for a bit and see how I go.

Know exactly where you're coming from @MrT - that "springiness" can spoil what is otherwise an excellent brush. I have an Omega S-Brush (synthetic boar) which has the same issue. In every other respect it's a beauty but if you do splay it on your face the second you take the pressure off, ***Sproing*** it snaps back and spatters lather all over the place. The cleaning up isn't worth it :( I've started to think it's the single most important factor when choosing a synthetic - backbone without springiness. Impossible to test online though....

Smoother than silk...

150807_zps5ewt2ogk.png

Face Wash : Post shower
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac custom
Soap : O Melhor shaving cream
Razor : Tradere SB
Blade : Polsilver SI [0]
After Shave : Antiga Barbearia AS splash

After 6 weeks of exclusive Kamisori shaving, I felt that I finally had the mini katana under control. So it seemed like a nice idea to go back to the DE for a day. I chose the Tradere SB - in my view the Rolls Royce of my DE collection. After a bit of deliberation I decided to give the O Melhor shave cream a try, and was immediately impressed with the slickness of the lather - a good omen. The shave was pure heaven - effortless and comfortable, and two passes produced a BBS result. Finished off with a good splash of the Antiga Barbearia aftershave - a very pleasant old school scent with a big nod towards cologne. Nice!!

One thing really struck me when thinking about the shave afterwards. I thought my DE technique was pretty solid, but 6 weeks of Kamisori shaving has improved it enormously. I found it really easy to maintain exactly the right light touch with the DE, and I realised that my approach to the difficult spots had changed quite a bit, and for the better. Naked blade shaving definitely improved my "face map" - I found that I understood the crazy patterns of whisker growth much better than before I started the great Kamisori adventure. So on balance, for me the effort of learning to shave with a straight style razor has produced wonderful rewards.

I'd be really interested to hear from others who use both straights and DEs - have you found the same across the board improvent in your shaving technique?

Smoother than silk...

150807_zps5ewt2ogk.png

Face Wash : Post shower
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac custom
Soap : O Melhor shaving cream
Razor : Tradere SB
Blade : Polsilver SI [0]
After Shave : Antiga Barbearia AS splash

After 6 weeks of exclusive Kamisori shaving, I felt that I finally had the mini katana under control. So it seemed like a nice idea to go back to the DE for a day. I chose the Tradere SB - in my view the Rolls Royce of my DE collection. After a bit of deliberation I decided to give the O Melhor shave cream a try, and was immediately impressed with the slickness of the lather - a good omen. The shave was pure heaven - effortless and comfortable, and two passes produced a BBS result. Finished off with a good splash of the Antiga Barbearia aftershave - a very pleasant old school scent with a big nod towards cologne. Nice!!

One thing really struck me when thinking about the shave afterwards. I thought my DE technique was pretty solid, but 6 weeks of Kamisori shaving has improved it enormously. I found it really easy to maintain exactly the right light touch with the DE, and I realised that my approach to the difficult spots had changed quite a bit, and for the better. Naked blade shaving definitely improved my "face map" - I found that I understood the crazy patterns of whisker growth much better than before I started the great Kamisori adventure. So on balance, for me the effort of learning to shave with a straight style razor has produced wonderful rewards.

I'd be really interested to hear from others who use both straights and DEs - have you found the same across the board improvent in your shaving technique?
That is a beauty of a DE razor. While I have not used a straight razor, yet, if others agree that using a straight razor improves your technique for shaving in general then I may have to give it a go.

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap/Cream: Caties' Bubbles Barnegat Bay (Sample from @SydBJW)
Razor: Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Blade: GBE [7]
After-shave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Status
Not open for further replies.