Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre Shave : Phoenix ICE, thanks to @shavetheman and Douglas for the sample
Brush : Shavemac 2 Band
Soap : Le Pere Lucien Rose
Razor : Black beauty

Good shave today. Liked the phoenix pre shave a lot.
Looks a top shave indeed! LPL is fantastic and such a superb brush to caress it with as well. [emoji106]

How are you getting on with the Black Beauty?

9E132DDD-C0AB-4790-99DC-D57F3868A77B_zps9mr3mq9g.jpg~original

Last 2 days:
Cold water shave
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Soap Commander "Purpose" Bay Rum (IMO very little Bay Rum but very citrusy. Limes scent)
Bowl lather
Razor: Gold Monkey 6/8"
A/S: DIY Bay Rum

Now I am having a bowl lather fetish I have found the Purpose soap is very good. I found face lathering, the Purpose was very thirsty and dried quickly. Bowl lathering really brings out the quality of this soap.

Smooth 3 pass shaves.

20150822_SOTDS_zpsgmbtwzpr.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Blade: GEM Stainless Steel (2) (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-Band
Cream: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Today I had the most enjoyable SE shave so far. It is still a very weird feeling and I think the blade is simply to thick for my taste. I love blade rigidity – but not due to the thickness of the blade, but due it being held in place perfectly. In any case I had an almost blood free shave (just 2 micro weepers) and very smooth end result.

Does the razor shave closer or more efficient than my favourite DE's? I don't think so. The main advantage for me is the ease of finding the perfect angle due to the large head geometry. However this is also the main downside, as it makes the razor less manoeuvrable...

Got a new brush yesterday, so didn't use a soap out of the box. The brush performs already great, but I will use it a couple more times before reviewing it.

ApIA9W2.jpg

Some new creams thanks for the extra wickhams sample Stills.

Castle Forbes is a great cream. It is solid, more like a croap and lathers brilliantly. The scent is a very natural lavender. You just pulled a lavender flower to your nose and sniffed it. Simple. Natural. Not sure yet if the scent is completely my thing, but love the product and results! A little goes a long way.

Does anyone else have Castle Forbes? I like the sound of the lime or cedar scents. I saw an old post from coffeesnob ykw trying to sell the lime and it looks like it didn't sell.

The simpsons Vertiver lavender cream is not my scent and may quickly make it's way back to BST.

ApIA9W2.jpg

Castle Forbes is a great cream. It is solid, more like a croap and lathers brilliantly. The scent is a very natural lavender. You just pulled a lavender flower to your nose and sniffed it. Simple. Natural. Not sure yet if the scent is completely my thing, but love the product and results! A little goes a long way.

Does anyone else have Castle Forbes? I like the sound of the lime or cedar scents. I saw an old post from coffeesnob ykw trying to sell the lime and it looks like it didn't sell.

The simpsons Vertiver lavender cream is not my scent and may quickly make it's way back to BST.
The lather of the Castle Forbes is hard to beat. ...but wait until you try that Wickhams mate. WooWee.

@Monsta_AU might be up for the Simpson's...I believe Lavender & Vertivert is his thang.

Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable
Blade: Personna Red
Soap: Washpool Farm V.2
A/S: Captain's Choice Cat O'Nine Tails

Do I gather from this, and your recent sales, that you prefer the v.2 over the v.3 of the Washpool mate?

ApIA9W2.jpg

Just got me a sample of Castle Forbes Cedarwood Sandalwood(very earthy scent) looking forward to trying it out.

Nice shave tonight. I made a new soap this afternoon purely as a hand lathering soap and it works well. @khun_diddy mentioned at one of our get togethers that he prefers to build a lather in his hand as he can tell more accurately the moisture content of the lather. Interestingly this soap is pretty useless in a scuttle but works well built in my hand.
Used the 1912

Steve

uwZHXJ6.jpg

Pre-Shave Proraso Green
Brush Edwin Jagger Super Badger
Soap Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Edition
Razor Gem 1912
Blade Gem Stainless Steel SE
Post Shave RazoRock XX Aftershave Milk

@Lifes a Peach kindly lent me Gem 1912, first ever shave with a Single Edge.
From the posts by @bald as, @Pjotr and the other SE users I imagined that just being in the bathroom with a SE, blade and lather would automatically give me a close shave but I actually had to pick up the razor :p

The audio feedback of the Gem is great it literally sings! While not the closest shave I've had it was damn close. Amazing given that I'm shaving with hardware that is over 100 years old - although it does look like something I would find in my grandfather's tool shed.

The EJ Super Badger did and excellent job of whipping the Saponificio Varesino into a rich creamy lather. All in all a damn fine shave, looking forward to using the Gem until the next dumpling lunch

The 1912 is possibly the best all round SE for most people to begin with. It seems reasonably aggressive but gives a really great shave. @StueyB you have quite a few to try to discover your SE "voice". They range from very mild to crikey I just survived a shave with that thing. don't forget there are also the Schick injectors which are also great shaves as well. You will be surprised at the close shaves as soon as you are comfortable with the razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.