Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke
Razor: Ever-Ready 24/14
Blade: Personna Gem (6)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

Tonight's outing was the tenth consecutive shave with the kamisori and was one of the closet shaves of my life, particularly on the neck. The edge felt less keen than I would like though. Is this a common finding? Would one need to touch up the edge after ten shaves? Or is this indicative of poor stropping or shave angle perhaps?

The straight razor competition continues. Last night it was pizza face, tonight possibly the clown from Stephen King's It. Either that or santa had an encounter with a very disgruntled worker ant. It seems I need to revisit all I thought I knew about naked steel and pressure.

All things considered, and the infrequent painful highlights and not forgetting the razor burn it wasn't a bad shave. Not a good shave but not a bad one. I'm considering my options for tomorrow night but 24hours should take away most ideas of sensible shaving and more than likely the contest will/may continue.

150926_zpsnmnu8pod.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliant Pre-Shave Soap
Pre Shave : Razorock Peppermint Emulsion (Death by Peppermint)
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary (Heartfelt thanks to @Lifes a Peach, and congrats to @Anthony)
Razor : Hybrid Kamisori (Hoshi Tombo 6000)
After Shave : Floid Black Label

Well, I wasn't going to shave today. A morning glance at Paste'n'Cut SOTD changed that quick smart. The Melbourne sunshine streaming in the window may have contributed to my sudden failure of resolve. Oh well...

I'd forgotten how intensely pepperminty that Razorock pre-shave emulsion is - the skin warming effect keeps building up just like a mentholated product. I think that Razorock have sadly dropped it from their lineup - haven't seen it at any of the online outlets for many moons now. The Thater produced an absolutely spiffing lather from Anthony's current top of the tree offering. Wow @Anthony, this soap is seriously excellent. Great perfume and wonderful lubrication - also able to produce a very wet lather without losing the plot, something I really appreciate with my somewhat slower straight shaves. Many other soaps start to dry on the face before I've finished the pass, which is really uncomfortable and asking for nicks to happen. The HT6000 did the wonderfully comfortable, close job I've come to expect from anything with the name "Hoshi Tombo" on it (cue to start scratching, @bald as :D). A splash of Thayers Witch Hazel was followed by a splash of the Floid Black Label in the photo - a pleasantly "sweet" fragrance without being at all cloying or over the top...

Can't wait for the next day I decide not to shave :whistle:
Love the razor stand.

Razor: Parker 91R
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic
Brush: Plisson L'Occitane
Soap: Prosaso green
Splash: Myrsol plastic shave

Used the Parker and Wilkinson for the last 3 shaves. They pair wonderfully and give the most comfortable shaves I've had.

Myrsol plastic is good. It feels like you have used alum, but with no powdery feeling. I don't mind the scent at all. Though to my nose, it smells like someone tipped cough medicine into sunscreen.

20150926_082053_zpsc5ykr5nk.jpg

SOTD Semptember 27
Cold water shave
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Soap Commander, Purpose - Bay Rum
Kamisori: Inoue FujiSuke
A/S: DIY Bay Rum

Bit tired this morning after having friends for diner, then watching the MIGHTY NQ COWBOYS qualify for the big dance next weekend and layed in bed a little longer. Even though I now had to "get a move along little doggie", the kami handled like a dream. Keep a low angle and very light touch and this razor performs superbly. As I am learning the angles required for a kamisori shave I am acheiving results much quicker. Short, sharp strokes are the way to go whilr maintaing VERY LIGHT PRESSURE.

I loved using my straights (and will contiue to use them) but I find the kami is such a great handling weapon. Thanks @Mark for making the razors available.

20150927_SOTDS_zpslcyopeoa.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Kronos (kindly loaned by @Draco Noir)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-Band
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Back from my short trip to Melbourne - it was fantastic meeting some of our members and their generosity was truly humbling. Special thanks to the master-enablers @Draco Noir and @Lifes a Peach - it took a lot of willpower not to try out everything I brought home straight away. But I realised some time ago, that in order to truly appreciate a new piece of gear, it should be the only changed variable in your routine.

I have been on the look out for a new slant for some time now - I only have the RRSS as a travel razor, but would love to also have a slant in my rotation. The ATT has been long on my radar, so I could not wait to give it a shot. @Draco Noir was kind enough to loan me his ATT kit, but the S1 had to be tested first. And what better way, than to throw 3-4 days of solid growth at it.

I must admit, that after the first 2 passes, I thought the razor would not be able too give me a smooth face - but after my usual 4 passes and some cleaning up I got a very nice result with ZERO effort and ZERO problems. The razor can definitely take a sharper blade and I also need to adjust my angle a bit - it has a very narrow range. But all in all, a beautiful razor, especially for those who are on the look out for something mild, yet efficient.

gNB5b58.png

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap/Cream: Marten de Candre Fougere
Razor: Filarmonica #13 Novodur (formerly NOS [emoji11])
After-shave: Barberry Havana AS & ASB

What a razor! @Mark has given this a super sharp and yet -oh so smooth!- edge to it. It glided across the face and the whiskers fled for their lives. Beautiful both to the eye and the face.
Many thanks go to @Mark for this razor.

Kamisori: ? - honed by @bald as
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

Steve came over for a hone session this arvo. After a lot of good discussion and quite a bit of work on a Chinese natty, he left me with a sharp looking and rather hefty chunk of Japanese engineering.

Without stropping it, I lathered up with MWF and had a lovely two pass shave, my first without subsequent safety razor clean up. The edge seemed sharper than on the Fujisuke, if a little less smooth. I'm now certain that I molested the edge on that one when I unsheathed it or perhaps it was through dodgy stropping. It will take only minimal work on a finishing stone to restore it to its former glory though as under the loupe it looked fantastic.

Does anyone here read Japanese? If so, what does this say?

gFfcj8q.jpg

Last edited:
Kamisori: ? - honed by @bald as
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

Steve came over for a hone session this arvo. After a lot of good discussion and quite a bit of work on a Chinese natty, he left me with a sharp looking and rather hefty chunk of Japanese engineering.

Without stropping it, I lathered up with MWF and had a lovely two pass shave, my first without subsequent safety razor clean up. The edge seemed sharper than on the Fujisuke, if a little less smooth. I'm now certain that I molested the edge on that one when I unsheathed it or perhaps it was through dodgy stropping. It will take only minimal work on a finishing stone to restore it to its former glory though as under the loupe it looked fantastic.

Does anyone here read Japanese? If so, what does this say?

gFfcj8q.jpg
Quick translation "Dont shave with this"

gNB5b58.png

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap/Cream: Marten de Candre Fougere
Razor: Filarmonica #13 Novodur (formerly NOS [emoji11])
After-shave: Barberry Havana AS & ASB

What a razor! @Mark has given this a super sharp and yet -oh so smooth!- edge to it. It glided across the face and the whiskers fled for their lives. Beautiful both to the eye and the face.
Many thanks go to @Mark for this razor.

Very classy shave - Shavemac, MdC and a Filarmonica - don't leave yourself much room for improvement here!

Sunday 27 September 2015

213577d1443358643-sun-september-27th-sat-october-03rd-sotd-27092015.jpg

Mastro Livi Grifetto 60: Italian Shave!

Mastro Livi razor, brush and strop: what an Italian Shave! This has been the first time I shaved with this new Grifetto 60 razor - of course, not the first time I shave with a Mastro Livi Grifetto straight razor - and I must admit the beautiful scales for this celebrative razor make even more special using such a great razor. Mastro Livi Grifetto 60 has been recently released by Mastro Livi to celebrate his sixty years of experience and career in straight razor making, honing and restoration, sixty years fully committed to the art of straight razor. It is an unlimited edition - celebrating one of the greatest straight razor maker in the world - therefore it is a special Grifetto everyone can have. I also used my newest Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" (Italian strop) being the second element of my Mastro Livi shaving set. So far, I have the brush and loom strop only, but I am planning to have a matching razor as soon as I can.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Layrite No. 9 Bay Rum

Razor: Good Humor O\C 1933
Blade: Schick (Energizer)
Brush: Vie Long Horse
A.F: Aqua Velva Original Sport

I just had my first encounter with Arko, it is without a doubt the best shaving stick I've used so far. Call me crazy but I think it smells good, not to write poems about but definitively not the vile scent that I've heard about.

Status
Not open for further replies.